2009 - 2014 F-150

Sony Subwoofer Question

Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony Subwoofer Question

I have ordered a '10 FX4 SuperCrew and I am curious about the subwoofer that comes with the Sony system. I gather from searches here that it is under the pass side rear seat, but I can't find any pics of it anywhere. The brochure only has a close up.

Anyone with one in a SuperCrew mind posting a pic for me? Thanks!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 PM
You are correct about it being underneath the passenger side rear seat. It is a great sounding system and I absolutely love it. I don't have a picture, but may be able to take one tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Disregard, I finally found one.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I will second the opinion that the Sony system with the sub sounds awesome. My last truck had two 10" subs in it and this system is just as good. I don't need a ton of bass but I want to know it is back there.

I have one question for you Pig9r - how did you trim that weathertech mat around the sub? I looks like in your picture that the back of the mat is connected behind the sub...is it? If it is then what did you do, remove the sub bracket and lay the mat down, then re-install the bracket?

I didn't do it that way - but am now thinking that I should have. The piece of mine that is between the sub and door is kinda loose - but it is alright I guess.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by nshipley
I will second the opinion that the Sony system with the sub sounds awesome. My last truck had two 10" subs in it and this system is just as good. I don't need a ton of bass but I want to know it is back there.

I have one question for you Pig9r - how did you trim that weathertech mat around the sub? I looks like in your picture that the back of the mat is connected behind the sub...is it? If it is then what did you do, remove the sub bracket and lay the mat down, then re-install the bracket?

I didn't do it that way - but am now thinking that I should have. The piece of mine that is between the sub and door is kinda loose - but it is alright I guess.
The Sony system does sound good at lower levels.....but once you get the volume a little more than half-way, the bass/lower notes will decrease. This is something that drove me crazy. I don't know how this Sony system is as good as your last one with two aftermarket 10" subs with an amp driving them. I have one 12" and it is night and day with the factory sub.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Not my truck, I lifted the pic from this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...floor-mat.html

Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
The Sony system does sound good at lower levels.....but once you get the volume a little more than half-way, the bass/lower notes will decrease. This is something that drove me crazy. I don't know how this Sony system is as good as your last one with two aftermarket 10" subs with an amp driving them. I have one 12" and it is night and day with the factory sub.
I think it's more to do with the combination of bad amp, bad subs and bad box. I heard 1 12" that sounds better than 3 15"s and i have heard 2 8"s that sound better than 2 15's. The Sony sub is prob fine for most people but like you say when you turn the levels up the Amp cuts back. The Sony system sounds nice but if you want big bass then it's no good. Still sounds good though.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
I think it's more to do with the combination of bad amp, bad subs and bad box. I heard 1 12" that sounds better than 3 15"s and i have heard 2 8"s that sound better than 2 15's. The Sony sub is prob fine for most people but like you say when you turn the levels up the Amp cuts back. The Sony system sounds nice but if you want big bass then it's no good. Still sounds good though.
You are correct - it does sound good - but there is absolutley no way that is 700 watts of power. Maybe if you take all the speakers and add up the power capability!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
My JL Dont even put out that much and it's 15x the weight and 5x the size of the Sony amp lol

Old 09-08-2009, 03:58 PM
When I switched out the door speakers, they have the typical "35W" stamped on them.

I guess once you've heard better, anything less is substandard.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
When I switched out the door speakers, they have the typical "35W" stamped on them.

I guess once you've heard better, anything less is substandard.
ibcop,
What did you swap out the door speakers with (brand/size)? is your FX4 a SuperCrew?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by back2blueoval
ibcop,
What did you swap out the door speakers with (brand/size)? is your FX4 a SuperCrew?
Yes, mine is a SuperCrew. The front and rears are 5X7 (factory) but the hole will accept a 6X8 without modification to the door or speaker.

I changed my front doors with Infinity Reference components (I had the factory tweeters in the "A" Pillar) and Infinity Kappas in the rear doors. Just changing the speakers alone was a big difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sony Subwoofer Question