Sony Subwoofer Question - F150online Forums



2009 - 2014 F-150

Sony Subwoofer Question

Reply
 
 
  #1  
Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 396
Sony Subwoofer Question

I have ordered a '10 FX4 SuperCrew and I am curious about the subwoofer that comes with the Sony system. I gather from searches here that it is under the pass side rear seat, but I can't find any pics of it anywhere. The brochure only has a close up.

Anyone with one in a SuperCrew mind posting a pic for me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ft Hood, TX
Posts: 191
You are correct about it being underneath the passenger side rear seat. It is a great sounding system and I absolutely love it. I don't have a picture, but may be able to take one tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 396
Disregard, I finally found one.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 56
I will second the opinion that the Sony system with the sub sounds awesome. My last truck had two 10" subs in it and this system is just as good. I don't need a ton of bass but I want to know it is back there.

I have one question for you Pig9r - how did you trim that weathertech mat around the sub? I looks like in your picture that the back of the mat is connected behind the sub...is it? If it is then what did you do, remove the sub bracket and lay the mat down, then re-install the bracket?

I didn't do it that way - but am now thinking that I should have. The piece of mine that is between the sub and door is kinda loose - but it is alright I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by nshipley View Post
I will second the opinion that the Sony system with the sub sounds awesome. My last truck had two 10" subs in it and this system is just as good. I don't need a ton of bass but I want to know it is back there.

I have one question for you Pig9r - how did you trim that weathertech mat around the sub? I looks like in your picture that the back of the mat is connected behind the sub...is it? If it is then what did you do, remove the sub bracket and lay the mat down, then re-install the bracket?

I didn't do it that way - but am now thinking that I should have. The piece of mine that is between the sub and door is kinda loose - but it is alright I guess.
The Sony system does sound good at lower levels.....but once you get the volume a little more than half-way, the bass/lower notes will decrease. This is something that drove me crazy. I don't know how this Sony system is as good as your last one with two aftermarket 10" subs with an amp driving them. I have one 12" and it is night and day with the factory sub.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 396
Not my truck, I lifted the pic from this thread:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...floor-mat.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
The Sony system does sound good at lower levels.....but once you get the volume a little more than half-way, the bass/lower notes will decrease. This is something that drove me crazy. I don't know how this Sony system is as good as your last one with two aftermarket 10" subs with an amp driving them. I have one 12" and it is night and day with the factory sub.
I think it's more to do with the combination of bad amp, bad subs and bad box. I heard 1 12" that sounds better than 3 15"s and i have heard 2 8"s that sound better than 2 15's. The Sony sub is prob fine for most people but like you say when you turn the levels up the Amp cuts back. The Sony system sounds nice but if you want big bass then it's no good. Still sounds good though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barritia View Post
I think it's more to do with the combination of bad amp, bad subs and bad box. I heard 1 12" that sounds better than 3 15"s and i have heard 2 8"s that sound better than 2 15's. The Sony sub is prob fine for most people but like you say when you turn the levels up the Amp cuts back. The Sony system sounds nice but if you want big bass then it's no good. Still sounds good though.
You are correct - it does sound good - but there is absolutley no way that is 700 watts of power. Maybe if you take all the speakers and add up the power capability!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,798
My JL Dont even put out that much and it's 15x the weight and 5x the size of the Sony amp lol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,575
When I switched out the door speakers, they have the typical "35W" stamped on them.

I guess once you've heard better, anything less is substandard.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
When I switched out the door speakers, they have the typical "35W" stamped on them.

I guess once you've heard better, anything less is substandard.
ibcop,
What did you swap out the door speakers with (brand/size)? is your FX4 a SuperCrew?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2blueoval View Post
ibcop,
What did you swap out the door speakers with (brand/size)? is your FX4 a SuperCrew?
Yes, mine is a SuperCrew. The front and rears are 5X7 (factory) but the hole will accept a 6X8 without modification to the door or speaker.

I changed my front doors with Infinity Reference components (I had the factory tweeters in the "A" Pillar) and Infinity Kappas in the rear doors. Just changing the speakers alone was a big difference.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ab46501
2015 - 2016 F-150
44
11-30-2016 01:51 PM
Patrick R.
General Discussion
20
12-03-2015 06:24 AM
02xltscab
1997 - 2003 F-150
21
11-01-2015 10:40 PM
sweet88gt
Wheels, Tires & Brakes
12
10-27-2015 01:17 AM
tbaz
Amplifiers
13
09-15-2015 09:18 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 AM.