2009 - 2014 F-150

Intake Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Elbow

Has anyone done anything with this? I removed the snorkel from the air box, sounds a lot better. I am thinking of replacing the stock elbow with a 3.5" aluminum 90 with silicone couplings? Anyone done this yet? Going to try it tonight, will post pics.

The stock elbow has so many boxes hanging off of it, it just looks hideous. Also, I have been told these are for sound deadening, which I love the sound of the V8 so I want to hear it.

So far I am not impressed with any CAI I have found. The stock air box is plenty big enough for the NA motor, with the snorkel removed, I don't see it needing anymore air, as for the elbow, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Well here are the pics. It seems most of you are interested in chrome door handles and stickers but what the hell. This has a little bling for you guys. For the rest of us car enthusiasts that enjoy a good sounding V8 over chrome door handles, this is mainly for you. This simple mod made the motor sound WAY better under part throttle, simply amazing how much those stock air intake tubes deaden sound.

I started by removing the stock air tube:

About 20 minutes later, a beer or so, and a saws all, I had this:

Put the clamps on DONE:

I could take this a step further, and may, by removing the very large elbow that comes from the factory and replace it with a straight shot and a 90.

For you aftermarket part manufacturers out there reading this, this is something I would buy in a heart beat. Not sure if there are any gains, the stock system is pretty well laid out, but the sound from the V8 is worth some money. Had I needed to buy these parts new, it would have cost me all of $50, but I used polished aluminum bends and quality silicone couplers, a one piece would be nice, but I don't care to spend that much time and money on this mod at this time, maybe in the winter when there is nothing else to do.

Enjoy,

Old 10-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Looks good...almost like it's hooked to a compressor. You might as well do away with the air box and stick a K&N on the end.

There is a bizzare combination of intake baffles and chambers on the stock intake.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Pig9r
Looks good...almost like it's hooked to a compressor. You might as well do away with the air box and stick a K&N on the end.

There is a bizzare combination of intake baffles and chambers on the stock intake.
The MAF is connected to the air box, which is why I left it. The design of the air box reminds me a lot of the Roush Air Box on my last truck, good design. Remove the snorkel and it really opens it up.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:22 PM
where did you get the aluminum tubing and silicone couplers?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by goliath
where did you get the aluminum tubing and silicone couplers?
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/

or another good place is

http://www.frozenboost.com/

I have used both quite a bit in the past. You won't find better prices on a lot of there stuff.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 AM
i did this same mod but i used pvc pipe and rubber connecters at a cost of 20 bucks

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 AM
DjG
Technical Article Contributor
I have seen muffler shops around here do that and then weld the tube. Looks good!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah, this winter I may do 3.5" aluminum and weld it, just don't have the time to do it now. Welded would look a lot better and because of the smooth bends would flow better.

I think all I would need to do a welded piece would be a 90 deg elbow, a 30 deg elbow and maybe 3' of straight with two silicone couples and I would have a very nice piece.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 PM
mrpositraction,
If you don't mind if I ask, where is the snorkel on the airbox at? Also, did you remove the silencer thingy's before doing your latest mod?

#16F150

Anybody's suggestions are welcome....Thanks

Old 10-15-2009, 03:59 AM
The snorkel goes from the air box to your driver side fender well. I had to unbolt the air box to get it out, it was a bugger to get out also, they really snap in good.

Not sure what silencer you are talking about, there are about 6 of them, 4 or 5 of which are removed when you take the stock elbow off. I am going to take the last one off and use some stock parts I had from my 2007 to connect the pcv line to the intake. I am going to use silicone couplers for now, and maybe get one welded up later, we will see. I will keep everyone posted with pics and then a parts list if anyone wants to make one themselves. PVC works and is cheaper, but aluminum looks so much better.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:56 PM
mrpositraction,
Sounds like you got yourself a nice game plan. As for the air silencers, I was referring to those ugly things on the stock intake that quiet it down some. Good luck and I will try to yank that snorkel off this weekend. Thanks again for the help...

Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by #16F150
mrpositraction,
If you don't mind if I ask, where is the snorkel on the airbox at? Also, did you remove the silencer thingy's before doing your latest mod?

#16F150

Anybody's suggestions are welcome....Thanks
You can also pull the drivers side headlight and see the snorkel behind it. It is pretty easy to pop out with the airbox still bolted to the truck.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks DeereGeff, and by the way your truck looks awesome...

Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by #16F150
Thanks DeereGeff, and by the way your truck looks awesome...
Thanks for the compliment on my truck.

I'm not sure how hard the airbox is to remove, but the light can be pulled in a couple minutes and the whole process of removing the snorkel took me about 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Intake Elbow