2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No more manual tranny's?????????????????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more manual tranny's?????????????????????????????????

Went to build and price tonight and no more manual tranny option!!!!!! WTF was Ford thinking???? I have an 05 Expedition now and a 92 F150. The 92 with 302 and 5 spd gets 14 in town and 18 on the road. The Expy with the Slush-O-Matic gets 11-12 in town and 19 on the highway. The Slush-O-Matic SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to find a 5 speed truck so i could get better mileage in town!! Besides a 5 speed is a lot more dependable i nthe mountains. Guess Ford will not be getting any $$$$$ from me. I'll just keep driving my old dependable stuff!! Disgusting!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mjstef
Went to build and price tonight and no more manual tranny option!!!!!! WTF was Ford thinking???? I have an 05 Expedition now and a 92 F150. The 92 with 302 and 5 spd gets 14 in town and 18 on the road. The Expy with the Slush-O-Matic gets 11-12 in town and 19 on the highway. The Slush-O-Matic SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to find a 5 speed truck so i could get better mileage in town!! Besides a 5 speed is a lot more dependable i nthe mountains. Guess Ford will not be getting any $$$$$ from me. I'll just keep driving my old dependable stuff!! Disgusting!!!
Yah, I hear you.

It really hurts me what Ford is doing doing to the F150 and even the SD's.

I still get a laugh at Ford's commercials with the '09 F150 getting 21 mpg highway... my F150 with the 5 speed manual gets 23 mpg highway with an awesome 19 mpg city. Ford tells the customer it's the most fuel efficient -- yeah right.

In fact, I've NEVER seen any of their automatic trucks/cars EVER live up to the EPA fuel mileage specs. The manual trannys on the other hand on usually dead on or pretty darn close.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Yah, I hear you.

It really hurts me what Ford is doing doing to the F150 and even the SD's.

I still get a laugh at Ford's commercials with the '09 F150 getting 21 mpg highway... my F150 with the 5 speed manual gets 23 mpg highway with an awesome 19 mpg city. Ford tells the customer it's the most fuel efficient -- yeah right.

In fact, I've NEVER seen any of their automatic trucks/cars EVER live up to the EPA fuel mileage specs. The manual trannys on the other hand on usually dead on or pretty darn close.

I can ease up into the area i elk hunt in 4X4 low 1st gear narry making a sound while off in the distance i hear Slush-O-Matics reving the **** outa the engines climbing into the hills. My 92 F150 will pull eastbound MacDonald pass west of Helena in 5th gear to the top where the damn Slush-O-Matic in the Expy dumps O/D at the bottom and rev's to 3K by the top!!! Pizzes me off to no end! It's no wonder the foreign co's have better CAFE ratings!!! They offer more manual tranny options!!!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 AM
well i guess no one gets your money because no one as far as i am aware offers a manual, and if you hate your expedition so much while do you own it? the fact you are basing your knowledge off a 92 F150 and comparing it to a 09 F150 which you don't own or have driven, proves you are not basing your opinion on anything logical or anything resembling the truth because the new 6 speed is completely new for the 09 F150.

the 09's with 5.4L's and 6speed trans are getting 18+mpg on the highway, and the add that says 21mpg is the F150 with new 4.6L, and they do get that mileage.

and if the 92 302 got any better then 10-12mpg i would be amazed.

Last edited by Deano-FX4; 05-17-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:47 AM
My 92 F150 will pull eastbound MacDonald pass west of Helena in 5th gear to the top where the damn Slush-O-Matic in the Expy dumps O/D at the bottom and rev's to 3K by the top!!!
I highly doubt that. I have an 89 302 and it hardly sees 4th or 5th gear. And remember your F-150 probably weighs half what the expy does. We all wish manual trannies were still available, but they don't sell and therefore are uneconomical to build. My auto tranny lives up to its 14/18 rating. My manual 302 gets a solid 13, far short of its 14/17 rating.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Deano-FX4
well i guess no one gets your money because no one as far as i am aware offers a manual, and if you hate your expedition so much while do you own it? the fact you are basing your knowledge off a 92 F150 and comparing it to a 09 F150 which you don't own or have driven, proves you are not basing your opinion on anything logical or anything resembling the truth because the new 6 speed is completely new for the 09 F150.

the 09's with 5.4L's and 6speed trans are getting 18+mpg on the highway, and the add that says 21mpg is the F150 with new 4.6L, and they do get that mileage.

And all they will do here in the mountains is shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift!!!!!!!!!! I can run from Missoula MT to Helena Mt 130 miles in O/D all the way in the old 92 with the 5 spd and the cruise on never having to down shift except going DOWN the east side of Mac Pass. If you want decent mileage in the Expy you have to pedal it all the way so it shifts as little as possible. There is NO Slush-O-Matic i have EVER driven out here in the mountains that will hold overdrive for chit with the cruise on.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by broncobran68
I highly doubt that. I have an 89 302 and it hardly sees 4th or 5th gear. And remember your F-150 probably weighs half what the expy does. We all wish manual trannies were still available, but they don't sell and therefore are uneconomical to build. My auto tranny lives up to its 14/18 rating. My manual 302 gets a solid 13, far short of its 14/17 rating.
You must have 3.08's I have 3.55's Truck as loaded weighs 6K Expy is within a few hundred pounds. .......................

Last edited by mjstef; 05-17-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:01 AM
And all they will do here in the mountains is shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift!!!!!!!!!! I can run from Missoula MT to Helena Mt 130 miles in O/D all the way in the old 92 with the 5 spd and the cruise on never having to down shift except going DOWN the east side of Mac Pass. If you want decent mileage in the Expy you have to pedal it all the way so it shifts as little as possible. There is NO Slush-O-Matic i have EVER driven out here in the mountains that will hold overdrive for chit with the cruise on.
i am sorry but you are a retard. because no truck with hold O/D in the mountains, and i live in Alberta Canada we the Rocky mountains as well, so have fun living in the 90's.

Last edited by Deano-FX4; 05-17-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:04 AM
You must have 3.08's I have 3.55's Truck as loaded weighs 6K Expy is within a few hundred pounds. .......................
Nope 3.55s. 33" tires though. But the truck was gutless on 235/75R15s. F-150 supercab 6.5' bed. Sounds like you have a tight 302. Enjoy. There is a forum for you further down the page.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 AM
i am sorry but you are a retard. because no truck with hold O/D in the mountains, and i live in Alberta Canada we the Rocky mountains as well, so have living in the 90's.
My 5 spd will hold OD on most roads here. Come on down for a visit and i will take you for a ride. This is the point. Autos constantly shift thus the crappy mileage.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by broncobran68
Nope 3.55s. 33" tires though. But the truck was gutless on 235/75R15s. F-150 supercab 6.5' bed. Sounds like you have a tight 302. Enjoy. There is a forum for you further down the page.
Found it sitting in a blind man's garage with 92K original miles on it. It is VERY tight and well taken care of. Running 235's but i don't travel much over 65mph either. Gas cost's to much and the closer to 40 yrs old i get the more i realize i am in no hurry............

Old 05-17-2009, 01:33 AM
no the amount of fuel and air being dumped into the engine is what causes poor mileage. and if you had any idea what O/D was and its purpose is you would know that a less than 1:1 ratio is not meant to drive a 7000+lbs truck up a hill. and anyone who expects it to is well just ignorant to how things work.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:42 AM
no the amount of fuel and air being dumped into the engine is what causes poor mileage. and if you had any idea what O/D was and its purpose is you would know that a less than 1:1 ratio is not meant to drive a 7000+lbs truck up a hill. and anyone who expects it to is well just ignorant to how things work.
Geez!!! Think about what you said!!!! When the tranny kicks out of O/D it revs to 3K and sucks a ton more air and fuel. I drive 80,000# most every week. My 96 W900 KW runs 65 mph at 1250 rpm. It pulls along just fine in 13 high at 6MPG by the monitor. Drop it to 12 hi and i loose 1mpg. RPM's are all the difference in fuel economy and most likely the reason you might see 1/2 of 1% of OTR trucks with an auto tranny.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Geez!!! Think about what you said!!!! When the tranny kicks out of O/D it revs to 3K and sucks a ton more air and fuel. I drive 80,000# most every week. My 96 W900 KW runs 65 mph at 1250 rpm. It pulls along just fine in 13 high at 6MPG by the monitor. Drop it to 12 hi and i loose 1mpg. RPM's are all the difference in fuel economy and most likely the reason you might see 1/2 of 1% of OTR trucks with an auto tranny.
you completely missed my point and proved it all at the same time, so i am done with this subject.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Most people with vehicles like seeing their tach zip up to 3k doing nothing. To them it makes the vehicle feel peppy. Heck, I drove a Ford Edge for a couple days and it's shift points were at 3,500 rpms. But it guzzled gas.

Another thing is that the newer engines are DOHC and will rev higher than the old OHV engines.

The optimal range for OHV gas engines is 1600 to 2000 rpms for best fuel economy.

Also the automatics tend to let the engine free rev more than anything, as in it doesn't allow the engine to experience much load under a low rpm, which isn't good and wears the engine quicker. I was reading this out of a tech article in my local library.

But it's too bad these manufacturers can't figure it out. Then again, most people just want to get into their truck and drive it like a car.

It's still funny some of the looks I get when I tell people that ALL my vehicles are stick. Heck, I was at a conference a couple weeks ago, and I drove them up in my Mom's Compass, which is stick, and one of the guys who I brought up wanted to go out to get lunch down the street. I was about to hand him the keys, and I asked him, "Do you know how to drive standard?"... he's looking at me, and he said, "Actually, no! I forgot your car is stick... can you drive me?". I said no, I already have my lunch and I need to eat it. He went the whole day without eating!

Well, I can say, if I can't buy no more manual trucks in the future, you'd better believe I'd get my CDL and get myself a KW or a Peterbilt with a nice 18 speed Meritor and use that as my daily driver.

Quick Reply: No more manual tranny's?????????????????????????????????