2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bed mat vs. bedliner vs. spray in liner

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray in is the best, IMO. Lifetime warranty, will never crack like a drop in can.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I just sold my drop in liner- so i can get a srapy liner. The drop in liner doesnt really protect all that much since it constantly tears the bed up from moving around. After 3 yrs my bed is almost rusting from the liner scratching through the paint. Spray in liner is really the best way to go to maintain integrity and protect it for the life of the vehicle. The drop in liner is only temporary protection IMO.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I had LineX sprayed in my '91 back in 2001. It still looks like new. I'm going to get it again in my 09 FX4. I see no need for the XTRA coating because the regular LineX still looks great even with the sun beating on it for 8 years.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
I just sold my drop in liner- so i can get a srapy liner. The drop in liner doesnt really protect all that much since it constantly tears the bed up from moving around. After 3 yrs my bed is almost rusting from the liner scratching through the paint. Spray in liner is really the best way to go to maintain integrity and protect it for the life of the vehicle. The drop in liner is only temporary protection IMO.
Yep, that is one of the biggest drawbacks with the drop-in. Some have actually had holes rust through their bed, once the paint is rubbed off.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And not only do drop in one scratch and rust but without a mat on top of everything slides when you hit the brakes or gas. Had one won't go back, I just have a mat right now till I get a spray on

Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I have the BedRug in my truck. Love it. Very easy on the knees. Nice flat surface, the padding on the underside is sculpted to fit the floor of the bed. Stuff in the bed doesn't slide around much.

It installs with heavy duty Velcro, so it is pretty easy to take out. I removed the hold downs in the bed and re-installed them over the BedRug, so they have to be removed before I can remove the BedRug.

This BedRug has been in my truck since it was new, about 4 years now, Still looks good as new.

Had one in my '94 F-350 before this truck, too. Used the truck to haul 2 full yards of 3/4" crushed stone. After the stones were offloaded and the BedRug was sprayed down with a hose, it looked like the day it was installed. No damage whatsoever.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I had a drop-in in my 98'. I removed it after 10 years to do my own Durabak coating (Durabak makes Hurculiner), mostly out of curiosity on how it would work. I'm pretty tough on my truck beds and hauled lots of construction supplies and demo debris during the 10 years the drop-in was in place. Yes, there where places where there was significant rubbing of the paint in the bed and maybe even a few places it wore through to the primer. However I didn't have any rust anywhere.

BTW, the Durabak came out great but it can be a messy job. Scuffed the bed surface with 60 grit, wipe down with xylene, then, taped the edges of the bed and bagged the rest of the truck to protect it. Reduced the Durabak with xylene then sprayed it on with a cheap undercoating gun I ordered from Harbor Freight. All total about $130 for the gun and a gallon of the Durabak. That was a few years ago. I'm guessing the product is more expensive now but I paid $99 for the gallon. Its textured with rubber granules and it very non-slip. Not as thick and not quit as durable as conventional spray-in but I was pretty impressed for the low cost, minimal effort, and great results.

Last edited by v_tach; 03-23-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Linex spray in or rubber bed mat for me. I don't haul much so I generally use the bed mat for the 1st couple of years until the bed starts looking scratched and beat up. Then the Linex makes it look new again!! Stuff is incredible, doesn't crack, chip, fade - can take full sun for years. I also really like the way it keeps stuff from sliding all over the bed! Nothing worse than an item in the bed sliding and banging around back there!!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jvos
Spray in is the best, IMO. Lifetime warranty, will never crack like a drop in can.
Like I said, it really depends on how you use the truck bed. Anything that will crack a plastic bedliner, would dent the bed. I would rather crack a $125 piece of plastic than the metal truck bed.

Anything in your bed should be tied down.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I have had the plastic drop in liners in previous trucks and hated them, the last truck i took it out and put in a bed mat, my 09 came with nothing so i put a mat in it. For me the mat works best and is the cheapest option, other then a quad i do not haul anything that would scratch the sides of the box so prefer the mat. One thing to consider is where you live, if you are in a climate where it snows and there is freezing rain the plastic liners can be terribly slippery and potentially dangerous, you may end up on your head or a$$ more then once.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 PM
DUALLINER best of both worlds.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by brlcla
DUALLINER best of both worlds.
Nice product. I never really looked into it before now.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I checked out the website for Dualliner. It looks like they don't make it for the F150

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 AM
I got the Line-X in my truck. I have never used a mat or drop in. I feel the spray in in the best value. My local Line-X dealer sprayed mine for $350. They are normally higher but since I have the tailgate step which covers the tailgate, he knocked off about fifty bucks.

Last edited by ibcop; 03-24-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:31 AM
i'd go with spray in, cuz the water can get in between the bed mat or the bed liner and rust your bed, but on the spray ins its hard to slide stuff around

Quick Reply: Bed mat vs. bedliner vs. spray in liner