2009 - 2014 F-150

Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't the 6 button remote for the Ford keyless entry, alarm, remote start combo unit?

I'd like to have a little bit of a security system and I sure do like remote start. I'm considering having it installed on my 09 XLT. The service department told me about $500 installed.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Is there no way to use triggers on a Viper alarm to allow it to arm/disarm the alarm from the Keypad?

The keypad isnt a must for me, but it is a convenience I have grown accustom to using.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by BigZAJ
Is there no way to use triggers on a Viper alarm to allow it to arm/disarm the alarm from the Keypad?

The keypad isnt a must for me, but it is a convenience I have grown accustom to using.
I just called the place that installed my viper and they said you can't do it with the 5901. He said there are other alarms that you can but I did not quiz him on which ones.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Can one of the buttons on the 6 button FOB be used for a garage door opener? I have a seperate FOB for that and would like to integrate if possible.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Is the keypad wired into the the truck (for unlock/lock/arm/disarm) or is it just powered and wireless?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
No other remote start/alarm system has the ability to disarm with the factory keyless keypad other than the Code Alarm CA550, CA670, CA671, CA680 and SRT6700 (crap for now until they fix the antenna problem). Or of course the Ford systems.

I guess I shouldn't say no other. There is one other manufacturer that I can do it with. The Compustar 5000 moble brain, with the use of my plug-in programmer, I can turn two auxiliary outputs into arming/disarming inputs. These can be tied into the vehicle using a relay to switch the unlocking motor wire output into a negative pulse. Problem is that someone could simply hit the unlock button on the door and it will disarm the alarm. The Code and Ford systems have a switch sensing wire that we attach that will monitor if the keypad or factory keyfob is being use and if the door switch itself is being used.

The Compustar does have a pretty cool feature though. It has a Knock Sensor that you can program your own sequence of knocking into. Its basically a four digit code that is done by knocking your hand on the windshield. There is a sensor that comes with the systems or can be purchased depending on what models you go with. This sensor has a LED on it and it sticks to the bottom of your windshield. You simply knock your code on the windshield to disarm and unlock the doors. For example if your code is 2, 3, 2, 3 you would knock two times, pause a second, knock three times, pause, knock two, pause, knock three times and your alarm will disarm and unlock you doors.

Another handy feature that can be done with a Code alarm is adding the Car-Link module. This module will allow you to arm/lock, disarm/unlock and remote start your vehicle via your cellphone from anywhere. It operates through cellular towers and comes in pretty handy. I used it most the time on my truck when I'm rolling down the road in my wife's vehicle and thinking to myself "did I lock my truck up?" I have my phone setup to automatically dial the system up and arm the alarm. Or if I'm in a building or simply way to far for my transmitter to work I can call my truck up and remote start it. Not for everyone but comes in very handy for me.

There are other ways to have security and have the keypad working with it. There is a couple customers on here that have used the Fusion key for their trucks with the all-in-one key and keyfob. I have sold them the CA310 add-on alarm to factory keyless entry system and then on top of that sold them the single button remote starters. The single button starter has a wire that will require you to connect the ignition source wire to the alarm to it and that way when you remote start the vehicle it will disarm the alarm system. Using this setup will allow you to have an alarm system and be able to disarm it with the keyless entry keypad on the door.

To answer another guys question
Originally Posted by v_tach
Isn't the 6 button remote for the Ford keyless entry, alarm, remote start combo unit?

I'd like to have a little bit of a security system and I sure do like remote start. I'm considering having it installed on my 09 XLT. The service department told me about $500 installed.
The nice thing about the Ford 6-button system is that it is a all-in-one remote starter with security. You can however turn the security part off completely if you don't wish to have an alarm system installed. Some people just don't have a need for one I guess.

Last edited by KCAutosound; 04-02-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of hard wiring a spare remote inside the drivers door to the keypad...

Old 06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
No other remote start/alarm system has the ability to disarm with the factory keyless keypad other than the Code Alarm CA550, CA670, CA671, CA680 and SRT6700 (crap for now until they fix the antenna problem).
KC are you saying these are all crap or just the SRT6700? Would you consider one of these as a good alternative to a Viper? Are they about the same price points?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 PM
If you are going for an alarm/remote start I would go for the viper 5901. I dont know how many posts i have read about alarms since i been looking and i went for a 5901 and im extremly happy with how it works. I have been over 1.3miles away from the truck and been able to send and recieve signals, All 4 windows can wind down or up depending on what i press, I can crack the windows to about 6 different points, My Door window buttons are now all one touch auto up and down on all 4 windows, remote start works with the AC or heat to get the cabin to temp, I can leave the truck running and take the key out of the ignition for quick stops, It has digital tilt sensors so if someone trys to remove my wheels or tow my truck the alarm will sound and also warn me on the keyphob, Glass break sensors will also sound the alarm and warn me as well as the shock sensor that does the same. it also has a battery back up incase the batt goes flat or gets removed. There's also even more features i aint even used yet.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
What did you pay for it installed?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by NJ F150
What did you pay for it installed?
I was given price's from $100 to about $700+ for install alone so it come down to who had a good reputation and i went for a local dealer that charged about $600 and that was for a really nice install and included DEI's lifetime warrenty for parts and labour which is pretty cool as im prob keeping this truck for ever. They had a lot to do on mine like the 2 window modules, Glas break sensor, Tilt sensor and so on but i thought that was a pretty good price. It took them 2 full days to install it as well but they done a very good job. I def could have got it done cheaper but when they are messing with a $50k truck which has more wires than engine i wanted to be sure i was covered 100% if there was any issues.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 PM
$600 for everything installed or $600 for the installation? If you got everything for $600 installed and they did a quality job, I'd jump on it in a heart beat if I were in your area. Finding a competent install shop that will be around a while is what I'm having trouble with regardless of price.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by v_tach
$600 for everything installed or $600 for the installation? If you got everything for $600 installed and they did a quality job, I'd jump on it in a heart beat if I were in your area. Finding a competent install shop that will be around a while is what I'm having trouble with regardless of price.
Wish i could have got it done for $600 includeing parts. That would have been great lol. Mine was $600 fitting plus $600 parts but like you say finding someone who is gonna be about for sometime in the future is hard. They have been in buisness for over 30 years and do a lot more than just car audio. They also do high end home theater and high end home audio.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by NJ F150
KC are you saying these are all crap or just the SRT6700? Would you consider one of these as a good alternative to a Viper? Are they about the same price points?
Just the SRT Series is a problem. The CA671 has been a great unit. I really like the feature that learns the timing for your dome light. This keeps us from having to connect to all four door circuits. Diode isolating is such a pain on some vehicles. Also on the Fords they tend to false the alarm every 30 minutes due to the GEM module trying to read if a dome light has been left on. The way to keep it from happening is to take a 10K resistor and tie it into the negative door trigger wire and then to 12 volts. It keeps the doors from falsing the alarm but can disable the auto domelight turn off if you leave your door open or dome light on.

Sure the CA671 has the standard range of about a 1000 feet or so but you can add a Car-Link to it. Many people like being able to add the Car-Link module that lets you arm/lock, disarm/unlock, and remote start the vehicle from anywhere with your phone. Just yesterday I dropped my truck off and the house and jumped in my wife's to head to the water park. We got half way there and I was thinking to myself "did I set my alarm and lock my doors?" I simply called my truck up and armed it up.

The other units I sell are just as equal I guess. Each one brings it's own thing to the table so it's tough to pick favorites. I've really been selling quite a few of Python 991 or 5702 units lately. Same thing as the Viper 5901. Another great seller is the Compustar 2W900-FM systems. I'm starting to really like the Compustar systems for the ease of installation and the new BLADE bypass module that simply docks right into the brain. The Python has this as well but for the Fords they are a little high for just a key bypass. On these I simply go with an outside module unless it's a GM or Chrysler product.

Keep in mind though that the Code CA671 or the Ford Gold system is the only one that will interface with the keypad on the door otherwise you will have to disarm the alarm after you have used the 5 digit code. No way around that.

I take that back. You can add a CA310 add-on alarm and then add the single button starter systems to have a all-in-one unit. The CA310 will use your factory key fob to arm and disarm. This is a handy setup if you choose to use the Ford Edge or Fusion key with the integrated key fob.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Has anyone figured out how to turn on the mirror and rear defroster with remote start. I too made the mistake of getting the factory one button only to find out: one, it only runs 10 min. and two, the defrosters stay off even if I leave them on when I shut it down. I'm still looking at which system to replace it with. I'm considering driving to Kansas City to see KCAUTOSOUND..........

Quick Reply: Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?