2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 FX4 to 09 Platinum - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 FX4 to 09 Platinum - WOW!

Last night the Platinum I ordered in Sept was finally ready for delivery and I traded in my FX4. I thought I'd share my first impressions.

Short story, the Platinum is a WOW! vehicle.

Both trucks are 4x4 5.4L screws - the FX4 was a 5.5' bed and the Platinum is a 6.5' bed.

Let me start by saying I really, really liked my FX4. Good truck, very reliable. Liked the styling. Served its purpose as daily commuter and weekend hauler, with an occasional journey to the hunting grounds. Having said that, I find the Platinum better in every way.

Styling
=====
I've read where some feel the 09 isn't enough of a new model, but I have to disagree. When I showed up at the dealer, my Platinum was parked between an 08 F-150 and an 09 F-250 - I thought it looked more like the 250. It's hulkier, with more 'shoulders' and a tougher look. It also feels like a more substantial truck. I really like the updated design cues. Also, at least with the Platinum, the chrome on the tail lights blends in nicely.

Interior
=====

OMG is the interior nice. (FYI, my 05 had cloth interior.) And other than the fact the steering wheel, shifter and console are in the same place, not sure how some can feel its the same as the previous version. It definitely feels different than my 05. The materials are top notch. The leather is butter soft. In fact, my wife, who happens to drive a brand new BMW 3 coupe commented "wow, this leather is nicer than my car!" Also, the buckets are much nicer, they feel like they hold you and support you SO much better. LOVE the extra space in the back and the flat floor with the seats folded.*

Performance
========
The 6 speed trans makes a HUGE difference. Smoother and quicker. I occasionally felt the 5.4 was a bit underpowered with my FX4, but the 09 doesn't feel that way. It is VERY smooth though, so much so that if you aren't watching the tach and speedo, you might not realize how quick it is. BTW, I got the 3.73 limited slip as - when I need it - I want my truck to be a TRUCK.

Gadgets
=====

The Sony-SYNC-Sirius audio-NAVI is without a doubt the nicest I've ever used. I think its well worth the $2400. Why? Its not only excellently designed, its all integrated. For example, you can sync your bluetooth phone with your cell phone, download your phonebook, select a number, lookup the address from the number, and chose it as a destination on the navi. Then the navi will watch traffic for you and direct you around tight spots. The 700 Watt Sony sound is very, very good. Another cool thing that blew me away, you can receive a sms text message and have the system READ IT TO YOU! And, of course, you can do all this with voice commands (which I admit I haven't mastered yet.)

The tailgate step is awesome, the side steps are great, the stowable bed extender is excellent and the cargo management system is sweet. And, of course, the retractable side steps are so bad @ss!

Dealer Options
=========

I got three. A remote start - yes, on a Platinum without a problem, a spray in bedliner and a trifecta bed cover. Can't think of much more I could really add. Of course, is a Platinum, so already comes with lots of goodies.

CONS
====

Only a couple of things I don't love. First of all, couldn't find the tire jack and neither could the dealer! Second, with the Sony system there is a large subwoofer under the smaller rear seat - meaning the entire floor isn't flat. That said, there is still a ton of room in back.

Again, all in all, I'm very happy. Oh, btw, my fully loaded Platinum was a pretty good deal too. Paid just over 41 on a truck that stickered at 50, once all the incentives were applied. They also gave me a fairly reasonable trade allowance for me 05, although I did have to eat about $1000 on it.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Bad *** truck!!! But you know its coming WHERE ARE THE PICS!!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Question. So you are saying if i would get a text message on my phone that the system would read it to me? If so that is great and will be in my next truck.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by jvos
Last night the Platinum I ordered in Sept was finally ready for delivery and I traded in my FX4. I thought I'd share my first impressions.

Short story, the Platinum is a WOW! vehicle.

Both trucks are 4x4 5.4L screws - the FX4 was a 5.5' bed and the Platinum is a 6.5' bed.

Let me start by saying I really, really liked my FX4. Good truck, very reliable. Liked the styling. Served its purpose as daily commuter and weekend hauler, with an occasional journey to the hunting grounds. Having said that, I find the Platinum better in every way.

Styling
=====
I've read where some feel the 09 isn't enough of a new model, but I have to disagree. When I showed up at the dealer, my Platinum was parked between an 08 F-150 and an 09 F-250 - I thought it looked more like the 250. It's hulkier, with more 'shoulders' and a tougher look. It also feels like a more substantial truck. I really like the updated design cues. Also, at least with the Platinum, the chrome on the tail lights blends in nicely.

Interior
=====

OMG is the interior nice. (FYI, my 05 had cloth interior.) And other than the fact the steering wheel, shifter and console are in the same place, not sure how some can feel its the same as the previous version. It definitely feels different than my 05. The materials are top notch. The leather is butter soft. In fact, my wife, who happens to drive a brand new BMW 3 coupe commented "wow, this leather is nicer than my car!" Also, the buckets are much nicer, they feel like they hold you and support you SO much better. LOVE the extra space in the back and the flat floor with the seats folded.*

Performance
========
The 6 speed trans makes a HUGE difference. Smoother and quicker. I occasionally felt the 5.4 was a bit underpowered with my FX4, but the 09 doesn't feel that way. It is VERY smooth though, so much so that if you aren't watching the tach and speedo, you might not realize how quick it is. BTW, I got the 3.73 limited slip as - when I need it - I want my truck to be a TRUCK.

Gadgets
=====

The Sony-SYNC-Sirius audio-NAVI is without a doubt the nicest I've ever used. I think its well worth the $2400. Why? Its not only excellently designed, its all integrated. For example, you can sync your bluetooth phone with your cell phone, download your phonebook, select a number, lookup the address from the number, and chose it as a destination on the navi. Then the navi will watch traffic for you and direct you around tight spots. The 700 Watt Sony sound is very, very good. Another cool thing that blew me away, you can receive a sms text message and have the system READ IT TO YOU! And, of course, you can do all this with voice commands (which I admit I haven't mastered yet.)

The tailgate step is awesome, the side steps are great, the stowable bed extender is excellent and the cargo management system is sweet. And, of course, the retractable side steps are so bad @ss!

Dealer Options
=========

I got three. A remote start - yes, on a Platinum without a problem, a spray in bedliner and a trifecta bed cover. Can't think of much more I could really add. Of course, is a Platinum, so already comes with lots of goodies.

CONS
====

Only a couple of things I don't love. First of all, couldn't find the tire jack and neither could the dealer! Second, with the Sony system there is a large subwoofer under the smaller rear seat - meaning the entire floor isn't flat. That said, there is still a ton of room in back.

Again, all in all, I'm very happy. Oh, btw, my fully loaded Platinum was a pretty good deal too. Paid just over 41 on a truck that stickered at 50, once all the incentives were applied. They also gave me a fairly reasonable trade allowance for me 05, although I did have to eat about $1000 on it.

Hey Man welcome to the Platinum club. Know exactly how you feel lol. So glad i see that you got the remote start installed. Im still waiting on clifford to design a system to work with it. Gonna have to get my dealer to sort this out know i know it's confirmed. You will find the engine lossens up nice at about 1000-1400 miles. Post some pics dude

Also whilst im thinking of it does your alarm still work?? Just that when i called audiovox who are the people who make the alarm and remote start they said that the only way to get remote start to work is to disarm the code hopeing system which means the alarm has to be disarmed???

Last edited by Barritia; 01-06-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 PM

The jack is stored under the rear seat on the right side.

Last edited by Rambo; 01-07-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 PM
No sub no big bass. Can't have big bass with out the bigger box.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Sounds like a great truck, but where are the pictures!?!?!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
this thread sucks without pics!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by cajun04screw
Question. So you are saying if i would get a text message on my phone that the system would read it to me? If so that is great and will be in my next truck.
Yes, exactly! And of course, you can tell it to do so with voice commands by saying "Phone. Read Message."

Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Barritia
Also whilst im thinking of it does your alarm still work?? Just that when i called audiovox who are the people who make the alarm and remote start they said that the only way to get remote start to work is to disarm the code hopeing system which means the alarm has to be disarmed???
Hmm, not that I know of. It is an Elvatoc, which is made by Audiovoc. What's the easiest way to test my alarm?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 AM
All -

Pics coming! By the time I picked it up on Monday it was 8pm and it was snowing last night. So as soon as I can take some that do it justice, I'll post.

FYI, I got Royal Red which is a GREAT combo with the chrome/satin alum in my opinion.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Also, thought I'd share my complete specs:

2009 F-150 4x4 Supercrew 157" WB Styleside
5.4L FFV V8 Engine
Electronic 6-SPD Auto
Royal Red Clearcoat
Black Interior (Which on the Platinum is actually black accents on the brown leather)
Lariat Preferred Equip Pkg
Platinum Pkg
3.73 LTD Slip
Sony Navi
Heated/Pwr Mirrors
Bed Extender
Box Access Step
Tailgate Step
Cargo Mgmt System
Cargo Acc Pkg
Max Trailer Tow
Pwr Moonroof

Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Rambo
[IMG]The jack is stored under the rear seat on the right side.
Hmm, that would be behind my subwoofer. I'll take a closer look. Interestingly, the owners manual said under the left rear seat.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 AM
My mom has an 08 fusion and my lady has a 08 Focus coupe. both of them have sync and I have to say that it is a wonderful feature. Not only will it read you text messages, it also knows abbreviations like lol.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jvos
The man step is awesome, the side steps are great, the stowable bed extender is excellent and the cargo management system is sweet. And, of course, the retractable side steps are so bad @ss!
Sorry.. I couldn't resist... I saw a Silverado commercial the other day, Howie bagged on the tailgate step as a "man step" I'm sure along the lines of the "man purse" I thought it was funny... It's the best Chevy can do, their truck is still a dinosaur...

When I find it, I'll post it back on here....

BTW, Congrats on the new truck, and WHERE ARE THE PICS!!!!

Quick Reply: 05 FX4 to 09 Platinum - WOW!