2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 F150 Standard Shift Petition

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Anyhow, there is a certain group of people that would want to see a decent manual be put in a F150. It really won't cost Ford that much money since they've already got a decent 6 speed. Even if Ford nearly broke even, they'd be treating the customers right. Not to mention it would look good for them. Doing the public right is the best way to do business in my opinion. If I was the owner of Ford, and I had a request that a manual be an option in the F150, I'd do it hands down, because even though I might just barely break even on it, I'd be making some good and happy customers.

By not offering the stick, they willl make some unhappy customers, but not that many... but it's Ford image.

What I'm trying to get at here folks is the fact that, if you took a history class, in which I'm sure a good amount have, they knew that Henry Ford himself invented the assembly line type of production. This gave the American people choice on how they want to drive their vehicle, right down to the drivetrain, to paint, to engines, to anything else they offered. If you don't mind me saying this, but it will be engine choices next. Watch.. in the next few years there will only be 1 engine, 1 or 2 trims, and a few selections of other things. Why?! Because they want to be greedy, that's why. Plus, its much easier for them to disregard what the public wants, and only shoot for the majority, and say screw it to the minority.

From past experiences, you dig yourself a big hole with that kind of attitude, and that is where Ford, and the rest of these companies are headed. One of these days the people are going to wake up and realize they are being screwed over largely with what they drive.
My god Manual, will you let this go already. As was already said the 6 speed Ford has is for the Super Duty and is too big and heavy to work in the F150. You do know that Ford has the most box/cab/interior combinations available in the full size truck segment right? If you really believe Ford isn't listening to their customers then you need to take another look at the '09 F150. That truck is loaded with things that people wanted to see on the F150, like the retractable steps to make reaching into the box easier, the trailer brake controller, dual zone climate control, tailgate step, stowable bed extender, more interior storage, more room in the Supercrew, the list goes on and on.

The bottom line is if more people opted for the manual, Ford would still be offering it. Then there's the 6 cylinder option, considering how so many complain about fuel efficiency you would think more would have bought it, but they didn't which is why Ford went to an all V8 lineup for '09. This is a perfect example of how competition affects what a manufacturer does. Ford could get rid of the manual option because nobody else offers it. If one of the other manufacturers had it available Ford would probably still have it as well. Corporations don't make money by catering to the minority, they make money by marketing their product to the majority.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
My god Manual, will you let this go already. As was already said the 6 speed Ford has is for the Super Duty and is too big and heavy to work in the F150. You do know that Ford has the most box/cab/interior combinations available in the full size truck segment right? If you really believe Ford isn't listening to their customers then you need to take another look at the '09 F150. That truck is loaded with things that people wanted to see on the F150, like the retractable steps to make reaching into the box easier, the trailer brake controller, dual zone climate control, tailgate step, stowable bed extender, more interior storage, more room in the Supercrew, the list goes on and on.

The bottom line is if more people opted for the manual, Ford would still be offering it. Then there's the 6 cylinder option, considering how so many complain about fuel efficiency you would think more would have bought it, but they didn't which is why Ford went to an all V8 lineup for '09. This is a perfect example of how competition affects what a manufacturer does. Ford could get rid of the manual option because nobody else offers it. If one of the other manufacturers had it available Ford would probably still have it as well. Corporations don't make money by catering to the minority, they make money by marketing their product to the majority.
You've got substantial points, which are good.

However, a truck is a truck, and some want it with the least available things to break down on them. Not to mention, there are still companies that want or have the need for a 1/2 ton truck with a manual and a simplistic engine. I enjoy knowing the fact that the old v6 and the half decent m5od can be fixed with less money than most spend on a LCD TV for their living room.

The point I'm trying to make is some just want a truck that they can work on, and a few parts as possible. The v6 and the m5od cut the mustard on that one.

I have 20k on my '07, and I have no gripes about it, other than what I (and others) mistakenly thought was an oil leak. Sure I'd love to have a v8 and an automatic... but I still am leery about it, because there is too much to go wrong, plus with my bad experiences, it's just hard for me to cope with.

Don't get me wrong, having a fancy truck is one thing, but having a truck for work is another. Some of the junk I put my truck against, some dare not even to put their fancy KR F-350 at. But that's just me.

I've been contemplating on getting a new truck soon, but I'm not too sure if I want to get a new one or not... I really don't, but I might get rid of the '07 and go back and get a '03 F-250 diesel or something along those lines. I like my truck, but I really am wishing I had that super cab, plus the 4x4, and of course that nifty 6 speed. I just don't like the new trucks, and those diesels... yikes, that's a whole 'nother realm. :o

Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow, nine months later and still going strong. Manual is like the Energizer Bunny!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:17 PM
FYI, They started Production on the line up, and they don't give a rats *** about this thread!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by weazel
FYI, They started Production on the line up, and they don't give a rats *** about this thread!!!
If Ford was smart they'd listen.

Who knows... they might have delayed the stick shift until 2010... just like when they offered the F150 with stick shift again in 2005, but 2004 people thought they totally axed it.

So, I just want to bet they are going to offer it. I think the reason they did it was to focus on the rebuild, rather than the basics.

I forsee a 6 speed manual, hopefully.

But my crystal ball has been shattered before, so I'm not gonna hold my breath for it. Or as it's known... seeing is believing.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ManualF150
If Ford was smart they'd listen.
yah, listen to the 1% that bought it and kill it. a v6 is no place for a fullsize truck, that's like a v6 mustangs, its just not right.

Quick Reply: 2009 F150 Standard Shift Petition