2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 F150 Standard Shift Petition

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can not see any reason why you would want a manual in this truck unless if it were perfomance related like if they brought back the lightning then put a stick in that but why put it in anything else the market for them is way too small in both the people who bought them for price reasons or the performance crowd....i would love a t5 in my truck but the market for them would be way too small...and besides you can get consistant reliable shifts from a automatic

Old 01-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
My OP was not about keeping the V6 at all.
In some regard, I'm glad Ford ditched it.

But if Ford had a nice 6 speed short throw shifter available on the 4.6l and/or 5.4l that was reasonably beefier than the crooked M5OD, then it would sell no problem.

The problem is with you guys, there has never been a good manual transmission in the F150.

It is also much easier to design a stick shift than it is to design an automatic. So I don't see where Ford lose. Even if they broke even.

My friend bought a '07 Nissan Frontier with the NISMO 4x4 package and a super cab, and it weighs 500 pounds more than my truck and it's got a 6 speed transmission. It's VERY impressive. The shifts are 100X smoother than mine, and talk about quick.

But oh well... here I am trying to give you guy's options, and all you do is shoot me down. I bet I could give you all $1,000 and you guys wouldn't take it.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by azmidget91
i can not see any reason why you would want a manual in this truck unless if it were perfomance related like if they brought back the lightning then put a stick in that but why put it in anything else the market for them is way too small in both the people who bought them for price reasons or the performance crowd....i would love a t5 in my truck but the market for them would be way too small...and besides you can get consistant reliable shifts from a automatic

he likes having control over all... that.. power... in that v6.... LOL

Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Suspended
Dodge offers a 4.7 with a 6sp in the Ram, I liked the 4.2 5sp combo Ford had in the F-150, granted, it is more suited to a parts chaser or construction base work truck.

With the complexity of automatic's I don't what one, no matter what brand I buy.

I got to admit I like the looks of the 09 F-150, But for me to even consider going back to a F-150, I want a manual transmisson with a V/8 and thiers the quality issue of a new model.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
Dodge offers a 4.7 with a 6sp in the Ram, I liked the 4.2 5sp combo Ford had in the F-150, granted, it is more suited to a parts chaser or construction base work truck.

With the complexity of automatic's I don't what one, no matter what brand I buy.

I got to admit I like the looks of the 09 F-150, But for me to even consider going back to a F-150, I want a manual transmisson with a V/8 and thiers the quality issue of a new model.
I was going to get a Ram 1500 4.7l V8 with standard... but I wasn't a fan of how well it shifted. Now after hearing some of the quality control and testing on it, I'm glad I bought the F150 with the standard.

But thank you for speaking out. I do respect everyone elses opinion though.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
My OP was not about keeping the V6 at all.
In some regard, I'm glad Ford ditched it.

But if Ford had a nice 6 speed short throw shifter available on the 4.6l and/or 5.4l that was reasonably beefier than the crooked M5OD, then it would sell no problem.

The problem is with you guys, there has never been a good manual transmission in the F150.

It is also much easier to design a stick shift than it is to design an automatic. So I don't see where Ford lose. Even if they broke even.
Warranty claims. Harsh fact is that with manual transmissions, a lot of guys drive the ever loving **** out of 'em, and/or they don't know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission. Especially if they're loaded, like pulling a trailer. Clutches burn up, synchronizers get torn up, clutch hydraulics can fail, and of course Mr. Joe Consumer didn't do anything to his truck, he just drove it, the POS gave out in like 20K miles, and the dealer better damn fix it or else.

So, if you're Ford Motor Company, what do you do? Do you eat the warranty claim, knowing that abuse and/or driver inexperience was a determining factor in the failure at hand, or do you tell the customer to get bent, we don't cover abuse under warranty, alienating that customer so they go to another brand?

Here's the correct answer: You do neither. You stop offering pickups with manual transmissions (and limp wristed engines), and use an automatic with a torque converter and 6 speeds that offers greater torque multiplication than any manual transmission you can fit in an F150, that works with the integrated trailer brake you've started offering in your redesigned F150, that offers better fuel mileage and driveability, and better load handling capability. Besides, you also had that great automatic in the company parts bin anyways (I believe it is the 6R60, or it's a variant of that's in V8 Exploders and Mountaineers), so you can save a buck or two by losing a manual transmission supplier and going in house for an automatic.

And the consumer, the dealerships, and the warranty claims department rejoice.

Don't be dejected, I can see you're pretty big on having a manual transmission in an F150, and there's nothing wrong with that...except that the bean counters understand that it'd cost them more heartache and money than it's worth to offer a manual transmission in those trucks.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quintin
Warranty claims. Harsh fact is that with manual transmissions, a lot of guys drive the ever loving **** out of 'em, and/or they don't know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission. Especially if they're loaded, like pulling a trailer. Clutches burn up, synchronizers get torn up, clutch hydraulics can fail, and of course Mr. Joe Consumer didn't do anything to his truck, he just drove it, the POS gave out in like 20K miles, and the dealer better damn fix it or else.

So, if you're Ford Motor Company, what do you do? Do you eat the warranty claim, knowing that abuse and/or driver inexperience was a determining factor in the failure at hand, or do you tell the customer to get bent, we don't cover abuse under warranty, alienating that customer so they go to another brand?

Here's the correct answer: You do neither. You stop offering pickups with manual transmissions (and limp wristed engines), and use an automatic with a torque converter and 6 speeds that offers greater torque multiplication than any manual transmission you can fit in an F150, that works with the integrated trailer brake you've started offering in your redesigned F150, that offers better fuel mileage and driveability, and better load handling capability. Besides, you also had that great automatic in the company parts bin anyways (I believe it is the 6R60, or it's a variant of that's in V8 Exploders and Mountaineers), so you can save a buck or two by losing a manual transmission supplier and going in house for an automatic.

And the consumer, the dealerships, and the warranty claims department rejoice.

Don't be dejected, I can see you're pretty big on having a manual transmission in an F150, and there's nothing wrong with that...except that the bean counters understand that it'd cost them more heartache and money than it's worth to offer a manual transmission in those trucks.
You are WRONG.

Having manual transmissions would not cost Ford extra money. Basically, if you destroy it... it is your problem to fix it.

Oh, and trust me... I can easily blow an automatic transmission, I did it for a friend who wanted a new transmission in his F250. Did a little shift to neutral while flooring it then popped it into D a few times... his O/D light started flashing 1/2 mile down the road, and it finally crapped out. Cost Ford a nice $3k. Of course I disconnected the battery for a few hours before calling a tow truck.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I would buy a manual trans V8 F150 in a heartbeat. I simply don't like automatics and truth be told, the 4 speed in our trucks is not very good and judging by all the trans posts you see on here, not very durable either. I have no experience with the new 6 speed. I bought my truck because of how amazing the overall package is but I definately settled for the junk 4 speed auto. Also as far as I know,as of 2009 the half ton truck with a manual transmission is officially not available from any manufacturer. I would have sold my truck if the new one a V8 manual combo but since it does not I see no reason to upgrade to a facelifted truck.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:52 PM

You are WRONG.

Having manual transmissions would not cost Ford extra money. Basically, if you destroy it... it is your problem to fix it.
<sigh>

I tell you what, you try dealing with a pissed off customer with a blown up clutch, demanding to get it replaced under warranty, while showing him in the book that it's a wear item.

Sure, the book explicitly says so, but how much you wanna bet that he's still gonna go up the ladder, calling Ford Customer Service, the dealer principal, the President of the United States...some people just can't accept common sense (f@#!, search and read some posts around here from some F150 owners...I can remember multi-page long threads complaining about different length tailgate cables...), and they're gonna make a big stink about it like a little bitch until they get their way, or until we push their truck outside and leave it on the curb. Ford don't want that.

Oh, and trust me... I can easily blow an automatic transmission, I did it for a friend who wanted a new transmission in his F250. Did a little shift to neutral while flooring it then popped it into D a few times... his O/D light started flashing 1/2 mile down the road, and it finally crapped out. Cost Ford a nice $3k. Of course I disconnected the battery for a few hours before calling a tow truck.
So you purposely blew up a transmission, stealing from Ford and the dealership. I don't especially think that's funny at all. Bogus warranty claims from dumbasses like you hurt Ford, hurt the dealership, and hurt other consumers.

edited for speeling.

Last edited by Quintin; 01-13-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:54 PM

But oh well... here I am trying to give you guy's options, and all you do is shoot me down. I bet I could give you all $1,000 and you guys wouldn't take it.
heck ill take a grand, ill pm ya my address!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Suspended
I was going to get a Ram 1500 4.7l V8 with standard... but I wasn't a fan of how well it shifted. Now after hearing some of the quality control and testing on it, I'm glad I bought the F150 with the standard.

But thank you for speaking out. I do respect everyone elses opinion though.

The six speed with the 4.7 is not as smooth as the mazda manual behind the 4.2. The six speed behind my hemi is a the same trans as what goes behind the CTD 5.9. and it shifts like a truck.

I drove the 4.7 with a 6sp ( now I don't know if all the manuals in the dodge line up are = to the getrag versions ) and I found it to be not as smooth as the 6sp in my 2500 ram )

The mazda manual has a reputation for being weak, But I never had any issues working the V/6 in my 97 F-150, to this day, I whish I still had the 97.

Any how with the possible demise of the ranger, a F-150 with a stick with a 4.6, or even the diesel 4.4 with a stick would draw me back to Ford.

Never had great luck with the newer Ford automtics, and Dodge still has problems with thier 5sp automtics.

Dodge covers all the clutch componets for the first 20,000 Km, Providing your not abusing the throw out bearing, pressure plate, ect ect, I'm sure Ford is the same.

If you can't drive a stick, don't expect your truck maker to bail you out.

Last edited by cyclone vampire; 01-13-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 PM
I totally agree! I love stick and yes it is more fun in cars, but it still should be put in the new F150's as well. It saves the adverage consumer thousands, and also people would rather shift how they want instead of when the truck's computer wants to shift. It seems Ford is very confident in their automatic transmissions because when I was looking at Superduty's last year I said I wanted manual and every dealership asked me why?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:17 PM

<sigh>

I tell you what, you try dealing with a pissed off customer with a blown up clutch, demanding to get it replaced under warranty, while showing him in the book that it's a wear item.

Sure, the book explicitly says so, but how much you wanna bet that he's still gonna go up the ladder, calling Ford Customer Service, the dealer principal, the President of the United States...some people just can't accept common sense (f@#!, search and read some posts around here from some F150 owners...I can remember multi-page long threads complaining about different length tailgate cables...), and they're gonna make a big stink about it like a little bitch until they get their way, or until we push their truck outside and leave it on the curb. Ford don't want that.

So you purposely blew up a transmission, stealing from Ford and the dealership. I don't especially think that's funny at all. Bogus warranty claims from dumbasses like you hurt Ford, hurt the dealership, and hurt other consumers.

edited for speeling.
Ford reserves the right whether or not to give the customer a new transmission/friction material no matter how much they whine. What's the difference between me burning up a clutch or burning up an automatic intentionally?! None! Still costs Ford money. In actuality, it costs Ford more money in the long run with the automatic.

I blew up his transmission because he didn't believe me that automatics break much quicker than a manual. Total time to bust: 3 minutes.

Total time to bust a stick: 30+ minutes of setting the parking brake while creating a smoke show with a burning clutch while flooring the truck.

Face it... it's much harder to blow out a stick than an auto. I proved it the world over. If someone wants to bust their truck to waste Ford's money, they can... and lot quicker and more costly with an automatic.

Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
The six speed with the 4.7 is not as smooth as the mazda manual behind the 4.2. The six speed behind my hemi is a the same trans as what goes behind the CTD 5.9. and it shifts like a truck.

I drove the 4.7 with a 6sp ( now I don't know if all the manuals in the dodge line up are = to the getrag versions ) and I found it to be not as smooth as the 6sp in my 2500 ram )

The mazda manual has a reputation for being weak, But I never had any issues working the V/6 in my 97 F-150, to this day, I whish I still had the 97.

Any how with the possible demise of the ranger, a F-150 with a stick with a 4.6, or even the diesel 4.4 with a stick would draw me back to Ford.

Never had great luck with the newer Ford automtics.

more truck like than the mazda
The one in the 1500 is a poorly constructed Getrag. It's like Dodge shot themselves in the foot with that one. But I can admit, from what other's have experienced, it has lasted longer than most of their automatics. So... it's a tie in my opinion.

I believe the 6 speed in your 2500 is a New Venture Gear transmission (NV5600). They build one of THE best manuals in the world. I've got a NV3500 narrow-ratio in my Dakota, and it is smooth as butter. I love how I can power shift it with ease. Granted it's only a 5 speed... but it's the same transmission they used to use behind the 2500 with the v8. It's a well built transmission.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:21 PM

Ford reserves the right whether or not to give the customer a new transmission/friction material no matter how much they whine. What's the difference between me burning up a clutch or burning up an automatic intentionally?! None! Still costs Ford money. In actuality, it costs Ford more money in the long run with the automatic.

I blew up his transmission because he didn't believe me that automatics break much quicker than a manual. Total time to bust: 3 minutes.

Total time to bust a stick: 30+ minutes of setting the parking brake while creating a smoke show with a burning clutch while flooring the truck.

Face it... it's much harder to blow out a stick than an auto. I proved it the world over. If someone wants to bust their truck to waste Ford's money, they can... and lot quicker and more costly with an automatic.
What in the hell does that prove? There's so many different variables between two vehicles in that instance that the comparison makes about as much sense as a football bat.

Goddamn, the more I read some of y'alls posts, the stupider I feel.

Last edited by Quintin; 01-13-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM

What in the hell does that prove? There's so many different variables between two vehicles in that instance that the comparison makes about as much sense as a football bat.

Goddamn, the more I read some of y'alls posts, the stupider I feel.
Ok... if I were to try to bust the ZF 6 speed on the F-250 and try to bust the 4R100... I've proven the 4R100 doesn't last too long... it would take a LOT and a LONG time to bust a ZF 6 speed. Like probably do a 45 minute clutch roast at 4k rpms just to burn up the clutch... to break it internally... I dunno what it'd take.. but I think it would be easier if you just took a 20 lb sledge to it and whacked it around a few times on the ground (and not even sure if that would bust it...)

Same goes for the M5OD-R2... it rates highly up on my list. The clutch Ford initially puts on it is made for "light duty" work. Which for about $850 I could throw a Centerforce DF on it if I really wanted to. But the only part I'm ever concerned about is the leaky slave cylinder. But that's not a big job either.

I rarely ever hear anything wrong with the M5OD-R2... its either the friction material or the slave cylinder... not too much on the synchros either. Which tells me it's a great transmission. Not to mention Ford's been using it for a LONG time, so there must be a good fact about it.

Unlike the automatics... all I hear is, "I need a tuner!", "I don't like how my truck shifts!", or the famous, "My O/D light is blinking!", and "My truck doesn't shift into gear, help I'm stranded and going to be raped by a snowman!"....

Personally... I don't have anything gripes about the M5OD. It shifts well, and it does the job well.

Last edited by ManualF150; 01-13-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 F150 Standard Shift Petition