2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weirdness coming to and accelerating to/from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weirdness coming to and accelerating to/from a stop

Searched for my issue but only found sensitive brake issues - which my '10 Lariat Screw has but I'm used to it now.

What happens is, when I brake to a stop, right before the truck stops, I feel what "feels" like the traction control or the abs doing something. Kinda like a light "clunk" and the truck feels like the brakes are suddenly dragging more than what I have applied.

Then upon acceleration, it feels like the brakes "unclunk" within a second after taking off.

It's like something is wrongly engaging at the stop and then weirdly disengaging when I leave from the stop.

That's the best way I can describe it. Sorry...

I have traction control and abs.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

Old 05-21-2011, 10:34 PM
You have the dreaded axle slip yoke clunk...There is no fix from ford on this yet..Prob never will be. Its very common on supercrews from 2004-now. My 2005 had it and so did my raptor. I use past tense because both had it really bad, but it went away over time...Good luck!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
someone posted a video of the clunk i saw recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFC8boB7RRs

Last edited by Patman; 05-21-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:14 AM
There's a TSB where shims are put in to adjust the pinon angle. TSB says 2 degree adjustment. That gave my truck a horrible feeling like running over rumble strips when accelerating or coming to a stop. They redid it to 1 degree and it was much better.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by tbird9768
Searched for my issue but only found sensitive brake issues - which my '10 Lariat Screw has but I'm used to it now.

What happens is, when I brake to a stop, right before the truck stops, I feel what "feels" like the traction control or the abs doing something. Kinda like a light "clunk" and the truck feels like the brakes are suddenly dragging more than what I have applied.

Then upon acceleration, it feels like the brakes "unclunk" within a second after taking off.

It's like something is wrongly engaging at the stop and then weirdly disengaging when I leave from the stop.

That's the best way I can describe it. Sorry...

I have traction control and abs.

Any thoughts???

Thanks
Hate to threadjack... but mine is kinda similar... at 44K miles, just bought it used and driving for about a month. Mine seems to downshift too abruptly at around 30-20 mph when decelerating, I can feel and hear. I wonder if it is the same thing. I brought it to the dealer and under warranty they "fixed" it seemed to be a bit better for about a week and it came back again. They said they "reflashed" the tranny. Any thoughts guys?

Also, is it commpn to have the truck flex a little under some bumps? I can feel a little wave or flexing, I don't have any load in the bed. This is my first full size long bed truck. I have driven small trucks before but not with this characteristic. It is a 2009 XLT 4x4 SCREW with 6.5 foot bed. With the exception of Weather Tech mats, it is all stock, no mods of any kind... yet. Is this normal?

Last edited by dogtired107; 05-22-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 AM
my '05 didn't do this...but my '02 sure did! the dealership would apply teflon grease to the slip yoke, and that would work for a short time. what finally fixed the situation was a new transfer case and slip yoke, but it took alot of complaining to get this done. my theory is that the splines on some slip yokes don't mesh well with those on the output shaft of the transfer case...and thus they bind when the slip yoke moves back and forth. i can't believe this is still happening on new fords! thankfully my new s-crew hasn't done this...yet anyway. fingers crossed!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 AM
mine just started doing this recently, the slip yoke groaning - only at takeoff though. it was after i drove through some deep water. oh well.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 AM
My 2010 XLT supercrew has been doing it as well! I have it going in again this Friday to be looked at.. My truck only has 17k miles.

It is annoying enough to me, that I am selling the truck if I hear one more time that this is normal.

So if you know anyone that wants a perfect truck, I mean not even swirl marks, let me know. Well minus the clunk

Last edited by shrek06; 05-22-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the responses and especially for that video. That truck didn't clunk every time like mine does but that one instance toward the end was exactly what mine does except mine does it at every stop and every start.

Forgot to mention that I bought truck as a demo with 5k miles back in september and I now have 17k miles and it has clunked the whole time.

Kind of a scary thought about the shims and pinion angle. And fat chance trying to get the stealership to do a part overhaul.

I may try out some Teflon grease to see if that works and go from there.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so this is the slip yoke where? Back of the transfer case or front of the axle? Sorry, I haven't even looked under there yet, but I was just gonna get some teflon grease and just try it. The only thing I do know is that I have a 2 piece driveshaft, will that add another slip yoke too? 2011 Supercrew w/6.5' bed.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:12 PM
the transfer case...

that posted video must be showing the transfer case...otherwise the guy is driving down the road in reverse! :-)

Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Not sure about other versions but here's the TSB to fix the clunk on my Raptor. It's a new driveshaft. http://www.fordraptorforum.com/attac...b-11-05-07-pdf

Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
buff1,
Need a User name and Password for that link. Is there a way to just post the TSB without having to sign in to that website?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I would but I guess I'm too new to post attachments here.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
I was discussing this problem with a local dealer.

Its sometimes the slip yoke....

And they have replaced a few of the pedal controls... And said it works.

Something about a faulty one giving it a blip of gas after a complet stop.

Inquire about it.

The dealer that told me is Trillium Ford in Alliston, Ontario, Can.

They said it has worked on a few trucks when it wasn't the slip yoke.

I think that video is something a bit more serious than what "some" expierience..... Its producing nasty hydraulic sounds...

Quick Reply: Weirdness coming to and accelerating to/from a stop