2004 - 2008 F-150

Changing AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing AC Compressor

So, how hard is it to change the AC Compressor? 05 5.4l 4wd...

I just cant stand the noise anymore and am looking at changing it...

Once the system is recovered and the belt is removed it looks like 3 bolts hold it on to the block. And one more manifold to compressor connection, and of course the electrical connection. Does the AC line flex enough to allow a simple re-attachment? Is this a 1 hour job or a 5 hour job aside from the discharge and recharge?

Just looking for some words of wisdom and encouragement!

Old 11-08-2016, 04:32 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You sure it's the whole compressor and not just the clutch that's making a racket?

Old 11-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Well...its been noisy for quite some time now (6+ months)...it is the clutch making the majority if not all of the noise. I can't get in there to unplug the clutch. I am assuming that the whole shooting match isn't far behind...

I don't own any pullers to change the clutch itself...unless it is free floating in there and just held in by the snap ring...Everything I have found on line indicated the need for the puller...I can get one cheapo at Harbor freight...

I have a version of the shop manual but it doesn't describe the clutch replacement. Just the spacing requirement and how to adjust...

The current compressor has 102k miles on it and is 6 years old...the clutch is probably older as it was changed under warranty before the compressor...old clutch on new compressor would seem about right for my dealer...

As always any good info is welcomed and appreciated...

Old 12-10-2016, 07:13 PM
I have a 4.6l 4x4, and for what it's worth I swapped my compressor early this summer for the same reason.

I had to attack it from above because of all the suspension and drive train below the engine, (maybe it is a 4x4 thing).

Attacking it from above involved removing the fan shroud and fan. The most frustrating part of the whole process was removing the fan. Ford sells a special tool for this purpose and you might want to pre-purchase it. That fan was so frustrating that I almost scrapped the whole project. To remove the fan you have to secure the bell-housing that runs the fan via the 4 small bolts on the housing, with it secured you can unscrew the fan with a big wrench. I was able to secure the bell housing using a large set of adjustable pliers commonly used for plumbing work.

Once the fan and shroud is out you can easily access the compressor. Mind the fact that you are working between the engine and the radiator, one slip and you could bash the fan or a tool into the radiator which wouldn't be good.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I think the only way to get it out is through the bottom...

I did put a clutch in it, but screwed it up...the new one is shot already...I'm not working right now so I can't afford to put a compressor in it...which I think is the best route at this point.

Putting the clutch on while it is still in the truck is a PIA! FWIW, the old clutch literally fell apart while removing it...ball bearings all over the place...

Old 01-20-2017, 02:37 PM
So the pulley seized last night... had it towed to a local shop to have the compressor changed...I already had a new compressor that I bought from O'Reilleys...fortunately the shop is willing to install it.

This is the last thing I need...been unemployed for almost 3 months now...