2004 - 2008 F-150

Clunk on my 07 f150

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk on my 07 f150

I have 2007 F150 crew 4x4 240,000 miles.Its got a leveling kit on it that we had installed about 4years ago.33 inch grapplers.Decided it was to time for front end changeout.Ordered parts from rockauto.ball joints,inner and outer tie rods,upper control arms and new struts.Did not do lower control arm change out.The parts were all moog except the outer tie rod because moog specs are not correct for application.The shaft on moog tie Rod was about an inch shorter than original.Had to go with NAPA precision line.Anyway after installing had front end aligned professionally.Now the smallest bump I get a sound from front drivers side that sounds like shock is bottoming out.A clunking sound.Also the tire hums like I have M/T tires.I must say before I did change out I wasn't having any issues at all except that when braking would get a chatter.Did pads and rotors last month.Any ideas?

Old 03-21-2016, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Bounceman
I have 2007 F150 crew 4x4 240,000 miles.Its got a leveling kit on it that we had installed about 4years ago.33 inch grapplers.Decided it was to time for front end changeout.Ordered parts from rockauto.ball joints,inner and outer tie rods,upper control arms and new struts.Did not do lower control arm change out.The parts were all moog except the outer tie rod because moog specs are not correct for application.The shaft on moog tie Rod was about an inch shorter than original.Had to go with NAPA precision line.Anyway after installing had front end aligned professionally.Now the smallest bump I get a sound from front drivers side that sounds like shock is bottoming out.A clunking sound.Also the tire hums like I have M/T tires.I must say before I did change out I wasn't having any issues at all except that when braking would get a chatter.Did pads and rotors last month.Any ideas?
Assuming of course that everything that got replaced is tight, it could be the front torsion bar or end links. The bushings in the end links wear and you get a clunk. When you tightened the nut for the end link at the lower control arm it may have been over or under torqued as well. So I'd check that out.

As for the new tire sound, with the worn components you may have been out of alignment and now that everything is where it needs to be the tires need to wear back in evenly (assuming they did the alignment right).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by nick14226; 03-21-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd check the sway bar end links as well. These trucks don't have torsion bars. The hum could be a bearing on its way out.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I'd check the sway bar end links as well. These trucks don't have torsion bars. The hum could be a bearing on its way out.
Thanks for the correction, had torsion on the mind when envisioning the sway bar.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by nick14226
Thanks for the correction, had torsion on the mind when envisioning the sway bar.
Thanks guys for the feedback I forgot to mention that when I did the brake change out I also did the swaybar end links and bushings I think what I'll do is I'll put the jack under it and check for tightness

Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 PM
So how was it going ? Does it get better after replace bushings?

Quick Reply: Clunk on my 07 f150