2004 - 2008 F-150

Original spark plugs?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original spark plugs?

I have a 07' F150 5.4 I bought recently with 150k on the clock. I have no idea if the plugs have been changed. I've read that original plugs either have a white or blue dot on top. I pulled two coils and mine has a reddish color film that you can wipe off with your finger. Ever seen this?
I just ordered MC plugs and lisle tool from Amazon so it's getting done regardless.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should change the cops too, while you're at it. And sorry, I cannot answer the question about the plugs.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:26 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
If it's running okay, I wouldn't change the cops, but I would change the springs and boots.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by glc
If it's running okay, I wouldn't change the cops, but I would change the springs and boots.
In my head, that's what I was thinking. Just didn't word it right.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unless you are brave enough to go pull one plug out and check the part # on the plug, you can't really tell in any form at all if the plugs have been changed.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Unless you are brave enough to go pull one plug out and check the part # on the plug, you can't really tell in any form at all if the plugs have been changed.
I know I've read somewhere that original plugs have a white or blue dot on top. I searched and searched last night and couldn't find it but I have read ALOT on this in the past week trying to talk myself into doing it and not taking it to the dealer. At 150k the truck idles and runs great. I just want them done for my piece of mind. I poured my first bottle of techron in the tank yesterday. I bought 3 bottles of it and plan on changing the plugs weekend after Labor Day.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm with @glc on the issue of replacing COPs. The plug connectors stick up in your face when your climbing around toward the rear - and its pretty easy to "break" the COP at the base of the primary plug. Otherwise, WAY too many members waste money replacing a component that consists of nothing more than two coils of wire and an iron core. Nothing to wear or deteriorate. COP concerns can be eliminated by a test tool (
Amazon.com: AMPRO  T71240 High Energy Ignition Spark Tester: Home Improvement Amazon.com: AMPRO T71240 High Energy Ignition Spark Tester: Home Improvement
) that costs only a fraction of what one COP costs.

Another issue that I feel strongly about (although @glc differs with me on it somewhat) is discussed @ https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...s-misfire.html . You might like to read and make you own judgment.

Good luck with the Lisle tool, and please let us know how it turns out. Cheers

Last edited by F150Torqued; 09-01-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:19 PM
My opinion, if the truck runs good and still gets good gas mileage, I'd skip the plug change for now. I would really think if the truck is running fine and you have 150k, it's the second set of plugs. I had 105k on my originals, and I only changed them because the truck was misfiring.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the replys fellas. The original owner finally emailed me back with the maintenance records. The plugs were changed in 2012 with 109k by a place called "Auto Lab" a mechanic chain around metro Detroit. So with roughly 40k on them I'm just going to change them out since I have everything now. I also bought an extra extractor for the lisle just in case. I'm hopeful I won't even need the lisle. I also have a slight phaser noise between 800-1200rpm. There getting replaced this winter. Great trucks just wish the 3v engines weren't so dang problematic.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Well I did the plug change today....and let me tell you it was NO walk in the park! More like a nightmare. I ran 3 tanks of Techron gas treatment leading up to the change. (Which had ZERO effect BTW) I started at 7am this morning and finished at 6pm. Only #2 cylinder came out in one piece the other 7 broke. Fllowed the TSB to the T. Thank god for the lisle tool and the extra extractor I bought since the first one lost its bite after 3 plugs. (Yes I used anti-seize on the extractor threads). For now on 20k miles plugs are getting changed. Also these plugs do not look like they only have 40k or so on them. I'm pretty sure I was fed a line of BS.
At 34 I may need a knee and back replacement after this project from hell!

On a happy note I saved myself a bunch of money today

Last edited by 1-HIGH-4-BY; 09-12-2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added
Old 09-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Congratulations on getting it completed. So does it run better now?

Old 09-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by ROBinGa
Congratulations on getting it completed. So does it run better now?
Much better. I thought it ran great before now it idles nice and smooth with no shakes. I'll test the mileage this week.
This is a job. Now I see why the high $$ to change them.

I changed them on a cold engine. Maybe if I had used a impact on a hot engine I may have been better off. Idk

Old 09-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My thanks to you for reporting back and sharing your success & experience, and I'm also glad for your success. I am struck by how the sides of the barrels on SIX OF THEM are literally eaten away. (Must have had 150,000 miles on them). Hope that material is not welded to the inside of the plug cavities. And you said you didn't even think it was running THAT bad. Damn, those plugs were hell bent on sparking to SOMETHING SOMEWHERE even if it was the top of the piston. For sure the COP's are generating plenty of spark voltage!

Last edited by F150Torqued; 09-13-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: to spell "voltage" right
Old 09-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by F150Torqued
My thanks to you for reporting back and sharing your success & experience, and I'm also glad for your success. I am struck by how the sides of the barrels on SIX OF THEM are literally eaten away. (Must have had 150,000 miles on them). Hope that material is not welded to the inside of the plug cavities. And you said you didn't even think it was running THAT bad. Damn, those plugs were hell bent on sparking to SOMETHING SOMEWHERE even if it was the top of the piston. For sure the COP's are generating plenty of spark voltage!
Thank you F150Torqued. I know! I can't believe how well it was running with them plugs. When I threaded the new plugs in I was able to turn them all the way by hand with no resistance. I used a shop vac to suck out the cyclinder along with some blast of air. It was definitely a job from hell I would never like to repeat...lol

Like I said before I ran 3 tanks of techron before hand. Label says treats 15gal but I only put in 12 gal to make it more concentrated. As you can see I didn't get good results with it.

Last edited by 1-HIGH-4-BY; 09-13-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:39 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
It could have been even worse if you didn't use the Techron. It looks like whoever last changed the plugs didn't use any antiseize on the shanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Original spark plugs?