2004 - 2008 F-150

Bad Break Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Break Hose?

Had my left-rear caliper sticking less than a month ago (piston appeared seized), so replaced the caliper and the problem went away.

Now, a couple weeks later (only 300 miles driven) and the new left-rear caliper is sticking causing that obnoxious sound at low speeds until it releases.

Is it bad caliper again or could it be the rubber break hose going to the caliper from the hard line? Is it common for the hose to deteriorate and get clogged? Hard to imagine going through 2 break calipers on the same wheel in only a matter of 6 months...

Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake hoses go bad causing the problem you are seeing. I would replace both sides. Also check to see if the bracket were the pads sit is so rusted that the pads don't slide correctly. Clean the brackets and put on new sliders. Rust builds up under slider hardware causing the pads to get stuck too. Note: if a caliper is not letting go, open the bleeder and if fluid comes out with a little force, and now you can turn the rotor,bad hose!

Old 08-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by captnick
Now, a couple weeks later (only 300 miles driven) and the new left-rear caliper is sticking causing that obnoxious sound at low speeds until it releases.
You do know that the parking brakes are small drum brakes inside the rear rotors and they are cable operated and it's not unusual for the cables to stick in the cable sheaths causing a rubbing squeak noise? May be just a broken return spring too?

Old 08-18-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
There is a center hose too. I just went through this with my 02. I replaced the calipers and hoses. I think it is fixed now. If not, it would have to be the master cylinder.

Quick Reply: Bad Break Hose?