2004 - 2008 F-150

Several problems with 06 5.4 3v

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several problems with 06 5.4 3v

I let someone borrow my truck and they ended up having it for almost a month. Get my truck back and it has been trashed. Runs like crap now too. He said he thought it started having tranny issues so he had it looked at and he told me that my torque converter had loose bolts. Needless to say I do not believe a word he says because I got the truck back and its in THE WORST SHAPE EVER!!

The truck is now gutless, hesitates, stutters, just straight up runs like junk. I am used to the low misfire that I can feel in OD and see on my Gryphon tuner, but the spark indicator seems normal right now.

The truck just has zero power. It also starts harder then it did before and he said he had to replace my battery cause it started to **** acid.

I also scanned my truck for codes and I got a p0581 but the CEL is not on. research says its a cruise control multifunction input a circuit high, anyone explain this?

Exhaust sounds like it is gone.

I just replaced my plugs and coils about 10k ago, but this truck has always had problems with COPs, and low misfires. I don't know where to even start with it because I am trying to close on a house and funds are extremely limited almost nonexistent.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Wow ..... that's gonna take some serious diagnosis and cash to straighten out. I think the CC code may not set a CEL as it doesn't affect safety or emissions maybe .... be easy to look up if I'm wrong?

Your post is but one example of many I've seen demonstrated over a life of 61 years and counting .... and even with friends who've been so since childhood .... I'd still either buy or give them a vehicle before I'd loan one for long term. If they just need one short term, they come with a driver even.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:43 AM
Yeah it was only suppose to be a day. And it turned into endless bs.

After driving it a couple times I think its missing. I'm contemplating throwing trying new plugs. The problem is I only drive a mile to work so unless I actually take it somewhere I can't really get a good feeling what its doing but I think its misfiring. I think that's one reason it may be starting hard. I just worry its something worse.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
It's gonna be hard to diagnose on the internet. Depending on where the exhaust is leaking, that could be part of it.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Well I need to replace my high flow cats but none of the shops around here will do it if their not NY compliant. Their gutted right now. And it needs plugs or cops. I can tell its dropping a cylinder on start up and at low rpms

Quick Reply: Several problems with 06 5.4 3v