2004 - 2008 F-150

Goodyear Duratrac or General Grabber AT2

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to replace my tires on my 04 F150 FX4 with new 275/65 R18 tires.

I had General Grabber AT2s in the past and had a bit over 70k miles on them when I got new tires. My only complaint was the older they got the harder the rubber and more rough they rode. That was my primary reason for getting rid of them.

I replaced them with BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA KOs but they've only lasted about 40k and we're getting rough and shaking me all over at 30k.

I'm looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac but have read they wear fast. I'm wanting something that'll get about 50k miles.

What have been your experience with each tire if you're running it? Any photos?

I am also replacing the stock 18" rims with American Racing AR893 Mainline rims in black with machined accents 18x8.5.

Thanks!!

Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drunderw
I'm looking to replace my tires on my 04 F150 FX4 with new 275/65 R18 tires.

I had General Grabber AT2s in the past and had a bit over 70k miles on them when I got new tires. My only complaint was the older they got the harder the rubber and more rough they rode. That was my primary reason for getting rid of them.

I replaced them with BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA KOs but they've only lasted about 40k and we're getting rough and shaking me all over at 30k.

I'm looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac but have read they wear fast. I'm wanting something that'll get about 50k miles.

What have been your experience with each tire if you're running it? Any photos?

I am also replacing the stock 18" rims with American Racing AR893 Mainline rims in black with machined accents 18x8.5.

Thanks!!
Stick with the grabbers if you're getting 70k out of them. All rubber is going to stiffen up a little when it gets old.

I like Firestone destination a/t myself. I've had two sets and I like them much better than the Cooper discoverer at3s I got in between.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Stick with the grabbers if you're getting 70k out of them. All rubber is going to stiffen up a little when it gets old.

I like Firestone destination a/t myself. I've had two sets and I like them much better than the Cooper discoverer at3s I got in between.
I had destination A/Ts also and loved them. Great tread life, great for all different terrains, quiet and ride nice..

Now I have Duratracs, got them because I wanted something more aggressive. Only had them for about 10k miles but looking good so far. These things are great in everything I put them thru besides ice. And I tell you what, they dig trenches, no they don't just throw some dirt they will literally dig trenches. Love them off road. They are a softer compound so they might not last 70k tho. Also road noise isn't too bad for the type of tire they are.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM
I have the Firestone Destination A/T's as well and love them so far, plus they have a 50K mile warranty. Best bang for the buck at the end of all my research.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:48 PM

Not to make this a go with Firestone destination a/t thread, but my first set lasted 60k. I only replaced them to try something new. Sold those 60k mile tires for $250 because they still had great tread left. Went with something else, didn't like it so I went back to destinations.

Absolutely the quietest a/t tire on the market. Sounds no louder than an all season. I got better traction in snow with them than the coopers.

That said, id go for destinations or the grabbers. I've always wanted to try the grabbers, but I found something that works well and plan on just sticking with these and buying a new set when needed.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:45 PM
have had duratracs on for 2.5 years aprox 40k miles still have plenty of tread. road noise is ok for aggressive tires. only time they are rough is traveling less than 10 MPH starting and stopping not really that annoying. They have been one of the best tires I've had for all around traction in Snow, Dirt, Mud, and Rain. They will brake loose pulling out when wet, but it is a truck after all...

Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Since I purchased new wheels and wanted tires with white letters I ended up selecting the General Grabber AT2 in 275/70R18. I drove on a 150 mile trip after installing them and although I had to drop the pressure to 70lb I really am enjoying them.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:29 AM

Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Since I purchased new wheels and wanted tires with white letters I ended up selecting the General Grabber AT2 in 275/70R18. I drove on a 150 mile trip after installing them and although I had to drop the pressure to 70lb I really am enjoying them.
What made you go with the LT E? Do you have the 8200 f150 with the 7 lug wheels?

Also, unleaded, you can run them at 50 psi for a better ride. No need for 70.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
What made you go with the LT E? Do you have the 8200 f150 with the 7 lug wheels?

Also, unleaded, you can run them at 50 psi for a better ride. No need for 70.
I went with the LT E for two reasons really- that was the only type offered in 275/70R18 and I plan to drive on terrain with tree nubs and pull a tractor some in the next 3 years.

I have the FX4 6 lug.

Thanks for the note on psi. Oddly enough Discount Tire had me running at 32 lbs in my same size BFG TA KOs which I now know was incorrect.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:24 PM

I went with the LT E for two reasons really- that was the only type offered in 275/70R18 and I plan to drive on terrain with tree nubs and pull a tractor some in the next 3 years.

I have the FX4 6 lug.

Thanks for the note on psi. Oddly enough Discount Tire had me running at 32 lbs in my same size BFG TA KOs which I now know was incorrect.
Understandable why you'd go with LT's

What's your door jamb say for psi?

Run those LT tires at 70ish when your hauling something heavy or towing. Normally around town stuff would be fine with 45-50 psi. When unloaded, they can handle the weight of the truck at that psi and they will ride much nicer.

We're those old bfg's p metric or LT E as well?

Quick Reply: Goodyear Duratrac or General Grabber AT2