2004 - 2008 F-150

Adjusting Rancho shocks

Old 07-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adjusting Rancho shocks

I just purchased a set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks for my 2005 F150 SuperCrew 4X4. I almost never tow anything, never off road and drive a combination of highway and city. I’m trying to figure out the best all-around setting for me. Right now I have them at the center setting and that seems to work fine but my wife thinks they ride rougher than the factory shocks that I replaced. Does anyone have any recommendations of a good way of testing the settings that might help me figure out what setting works best for me?disadvantages of just going with the softest settings considering my driving My first thought was to put them on the softest setting, drive around for a few days then put in on the hardest for about the same amount of time to see what I prefer. I also thought that going over a series of speed bumps in a vacant parking lot might help me decide what setting I like.
Any testing recommendations would be appreciated. Also, what are the habits?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a set of Rancho adjustables and also first started at the center setting (5). Even thought it absorbed better than my earlier stock shocks...I wanted a softer ride so I adjusted one setting softer (4)...I like the ride now overall, but I do notice when I take corners at speed, it's a little more unsettling as there is more lean than I was previously used to....therefore I suggest DO NOT start at the softest setting...but start adjusting one setting either way from the current position and drive around for about a week, making sure to take corners at speed, to figure out where you think the suspension reacts best for your normal driving habits.

Last edited by BrazenC5; 07-03-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Hi there! quick question, how do you know what is the current setting? I mean right now I have the 5 right at the 12 O'clock position, that means current setting is 5? this is really confusing to me

Old 07-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Yes...the setting number is aligned to the shock body...there should be an embossed arrow on the shock body about 1 or 2 inches above the adjustment ****.

Originally Posted by borrego97
Hi there! quick question, how do you know what is the current setting? I mean right now I have the 5 right at the 12 O'clock position, that means current setting is 5? this is really confusing to me

Old 07-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Thank you BrazenC5

So right now I'm on 5/5. It feels like stock ride but I will definitely test the other settings.

Originally Posted by BrazenC5
Yes...the setting number is aligned to the shock body...there should be an embossed arrow on the shock body about 1 or 2 inches above the adjustment ****.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by BrazenC5
I have a set of Rancho adjustables and also first started at the center setting (5). Even thought it absorbed better than my earlier stock shocks...I wanted a softer ride so I adjusted one setting softer (4)...I like the ride now overall, but I do notice when I take corners at speed, it's a little more unsettling as there is more lean than I was previously used to....therefore I suggest DO NOT start at the softest setting...but start adjusting one setting either way from the current position and drive around for about a week, making sure to take corners at speed, to figure out where you think the suspension reacts best for your normal driving habits.

Thanks for the info. Yesterday I switched mine from 5 to 4. I noticed that the harshness over sharp bumps was much better. I will test it out for a week or so.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Someone on a different site suggested the following settings. Is it recommended to have different front and rear settings?

Rancho setting suggestion:
Highway - Front 6, Rear 3
Sport - Front 8, Rear 6
Work/Tow/Haul - Front 6, Rear 8
Off-Road - Front 4, Rear 4

Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 PM
i have a 05 SCREW 4x4 lariat with the same kit front and rear. I like my setting on 5/5 hiway and city don't do much off roading since I also have a bronco. But to me it is way stiffer then oem but I also am running Load range E 10ply 285/65-18 nitto tires @ 55/60psi also have airbags in the rear unloaded I run @ 10psi. to me it feel how I like a truck to ride.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the rears on 3 and fronts on 6 and the seems pretty good for my non off road driving.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:58 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Yes, you can run a step or two softer in the rear normally. Look at the way the shocks are mounted in relation to suspension travel. Even though the rear shocks are at angles to verticle, the shock still changes virtually inch for inch of rear suspension compression. Look at the front lower mounting .... it's a third the way in on the LCA so that the front shock travel is much closer to 65 or 70 % of suspension travel. Add in that the front is heavier unless the truck is loaded and you see the how it is that a softer rear shock setting (unloaded PU) can nicely match the action of the front with stiffer shocks.

It's about leverage.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine have been set to 5 since the day I installed them. It DOES ride firmer than stock, but that is a good thing in my book.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjusting Rancho shocks