2004 - 2008 F-150

'05 5.4 thinking of new engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 5.4 thinking of new engine

My '05 XLT just ticked over the 200K mark on a trip up to Seattle and back. I added 3 qts of oil to get it up to proper level after the trip. It also has the morning starting 'chirp', which appears to be a lifter problem.
I just put in a new tranny and the truck is mint so thinking of a new engine. My guess is the new eco boost engine won't match my new tranny (?) so what are my best options? If there was a diesel option I'd be all over it as I was hoping the new 2015 body was going to come with a diesel.

-Chris

Old 05-22-2015, 07:20 AM
I hate it for Ya! I was where you are last year. I had the roller bearing on a follower/roller rocker fail so the cam ground it up and sent the powdered metal throughout the engine.
Like yours, my truck is nice so I replaced the motor. I looked at other options but I decided to just stick with the 5.4 and find another.

I got a nice low mile 5.4 for a little over $2400. After install I was in it for a about 5K.

Good Luck

Last edited by pethel; 05-22-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks, Pethel. Did you find the engine at a yard and had to remove?
Is it even feasible to look into putting the new engine in? and, would it use the same tranny?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You will need to go back with a 5.4. The newer engines and transmissions are different and are controlled by different programs. You would need a complete donor system. Much more feasible to buy a remanufactured 5.4.

Last edited by Bluejay; 05-22-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
From an economic standpoint, I would say replacing the 5.4 is the only way to go. Also, with over 200k on the truck, I'd have to think REALLY hard about whether I wanted to dump that kind of money into the vehicle. It may be mint, but all of the underpinnings and related mechanicals are getting toward the end of their service life at this point.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
From an economic standpoint, I would say replacing the 5.4 is the only way to go. Also, with over 200k on the truck, I'd have to think REALLY hard about whether I wanted to dump that kind of money into the vehicle. It may be mint, but all of the underpinnings and related mechanicals are getting toward the end of their service life at this point.
Agree but have been enjoying not having a truck payment close to a mortgage amount the last few years!
If I do the engine I'd probably go with a new exhaust and other potential worn areas like wheel bearings etc.
I figure that doing this will be cheaper in the short term (another 100K) as I really would like to see if they come out with a 150 diesel or I move up to a 250.

Any tips on where to find a great low mileage 5.4? Call the yards?

Thx,

Chris

Old 05-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Squiffo
Thanks, Pethel. Did you find the engine at a yard and had to remove?
Is it even feasible to look into putting the new engine in? and, would it use the same tranny?
If your truck is paid for put another 5.4L in it and keep going.

I googled used 5.4L 3 valve engine's, and sent out a few inquiries. I ended up buying it from a yard in Florida and they shipped it to me. They "claimed" it had 36K miles on it but who really knows. It came out of an '06. I took a chance and it does run and sound great.
I paid $2400 for the used engine shipped. I had a trusted friend at a local shop install it which was around $2200 and included new plugs, oil change, and all fluids. I also bought a new throttle body. I had new catts installed because the poorly running old engine killed my catts.

I looked at reman engines and they range from $3-4000 plus install ($2200). I got a quote from my local Ford dealer for $5K for a Ford replacement engine plus install($2200).

After it as all said and done I have a little over $5200 in it. I have no truck payments so it as well worth it I guess. I plan to drive it for a few years more years now. LOL

Old 05-23-2015, 01:20 AM
How does this look? http://www.advancedenginex.com/2004-...-block-engine/

Price looks good and would give me room to add other new parts. My cousin's shop can install for around $1500 so seems like a good option?

Old 05-23-2015, 09:15 AM
How does this look? http://www.advancedenginex.com/2004-...-block-engine/

Price looks good and would give me room to add other new parts. My cousin's shop can install for around $1500 so seems like a good option?
Looks like a good deal to me. It comes with a warranty too which is a good thing.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You could also just get it rebuilt since there isn't anything wrong with it. Get the most recent VCT solenoids, plugs and COPs while you're at it

Old 06-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
You could also just get it rebuilt since there isn't anything wrong with it. Get the most recent VCT solenoids, plugs and COPs while you're at it
Wouldn't buying and installing a new reman engine with warranty be better?
I'd like the end result to be better than before so imagine I would have to also replace coil packs and do a total clean to the throttle body.

The truck has done some serious towing and has been great so why not have it around for a few more years?

-Chris

Old 06-02-2015, 02:18 PM
It looks like you are in CA...

I believe that you have to put the exact same model/size engine back in it...ie, if it has a 5.4l 3v, then it must be replaced with the same...CARB rules...

CARB should change their name to MAFIA...

Old 06-03-2015, 12:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any reputable engine builder will offer some sort of a warranty on their work and I would imagine the price is close to the same.

But it's up to you, I'd do a Coyote/6-speed swap

Old 06-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't buying and installing a new reman engine with warranty be better?
I'd like the end result to be better than before so imagine I would have to also replace coil packs and do a total clean to the throttle body.

The truck has done some serious towing and has been great so why not have it around for a few more years?

-Chris
A reman engine is not always better than a rebuild. If you rebuild it yourself or have it done yourself you have the option of putting in different parts like total seal rings or higher compression rings, porting the heads and intake etc... I've not looked in modifying a 5.4 for even 2 seconds so I have no idea what's available but I'd be VERY surprised if there isn't at least a few good options. If you don't plan on changing anything then a reman is probably the better choice though.

Originally Posted by kcward
It looks like you are in CA...

I believe that you have to put the exact same model/size engine back in it...ie, if it has a 5.4l 3v, then it must be replaced with the same...CARB rules...

CARB should change their name to MAFIA...
I can't argue with that... they are ****'s but there is some wiggle room. I haven't read smog laws in a LONG time but the last I read, you must use an engine that was available in that body/model OR you must use the full emissions from the donor car. A lot of guys bought 4 cylinder mustangs and converted them to 5.0 or even go 351/5.8 in Cali, smog shops did not care, so long as your 302/351 had ALL the smog BS they were expecting to see. I seem to recall the 351 being an option because of some limited edition race mustang offered in 93 with a 351 from the factory, but don't quote me on that. Now for the crazy, there were guys putting chevy 350's in their mustangs in the 80s and so long as you use the full donor car's emissions setup they were ok. Of course I think they ended up at a smog referee EVERY 2 years for smog because none of the mom and pop smog shops would touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'm not sure how this would work with a diesel since there's no emissions.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to order up the reman engine and replace a few key items. I just want to get another 100K out of it and by then, I'm sure there will be a diesel or even better option. I can get it all done for less than the tax on a new 150!

-Chris

Quick Reply: '05 5.4 thinking of new engine