2004 - 2008 F-150

'05 5.4 thinking of new engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if you've pulled the trigger or not yet, but I just put a reman 5.4 in my 2004 F150. I got it from Power source at www.PSEngines.com. They get their engines from the same place that Ford does, but they will warranty it if you decide to install it instead of the dealership. They also put the updated parts in it as well, and bore out the heads and cam caps to accept cam bearings, so no more wiping out heads if you don't get oil or something. After I get the reimbursement for my core, it cost $2800 and I installed it myself. I have about 500 miles on it now and absolutely no issues so far.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Still working on this project and getting closer. Any suggestions of other things I should replace while doing the swap? coil packs, sensors etc.?
I'd like to add a towing chip package. Suggestions?

Thx!

Old 08-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by fordaholic495
I'm not sure if you've pulled the trigger or not yet, but I just put a reman 5.4 in my 2004 F150. I got it from Power source at www.PSEngines.com. They get their engines from the same place that Ford does, but they will warranty it if you decide to install it instead of the dealership. They also put the updated parts in it as well, and bore out the heads and cam caps to accept cam bearings, so no more wiping out heads if you don't get oil or something. After I get the reimbursement for my core, it cost $2800 and I installed it myself. I have about 500 miles on it now and absolutely no issues so far.
Thanks. I'll check them out!

Old 08-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Squiffo
Still working on this project and getting closer. Any suggestions of other things I should replace while doing the swap? coil packs, sensors etc.?
I'd like to add a towing chip package. Suggestions?

Thx!
The towing package is basically an extra transmission cooler. Get one from an F250 and you'll be good to go.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 PM
So, as I'm starting to put the pieces together to get the new engine I bump into my neighbor, who is a retired master mechanic. I told him what I was planning to do and about the starting chirp. The truck hadn't been started that day so I asked him to take a listen. Fired it up and there was the chirp/rattle (maybe one second long).
He said it was the timing chain. Probably stretched after 200K and the adjusters are dry when starting. He listened to the engine and said it sounds fine. If it uses a little oil and is not burning or misfiring keep going for a while. No need to replace the engine yet.

Anyone have a ball park price if I wanted to replace the timing chain? Sure must be cheaper than the engine!

-Chris

Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Many Timing Chain kits are available. If I were you, I would still be planning on a fresh Engine, as burning through 3 Quarts like you said, is a substantial amount. My 4.6 with 230k+ burns little to no oil during a change, so your Piston Rings may be bad. My plan is to get a junkyard engine, have the block checked, lightly built, and have it ready for a fresh set of heads when this Engine kicks the bucket, or I throw the bucket at it, whichever comes first. Glad you can get more life out of her though, as choosing to do something (changing engine/fixing) is always better than being forced to do it (Kaboom).

Last edited by Zilla98; 08-18-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by Zilla98
Many Timing Chain kits are available. If I were you, I would still be planning on a fresh Engine, as burning through 3 Quarts like you said, is a substantial amount. My 4.6 with 230k+ burns little to no oil during a change, so your Piston Rings may be bad. My plan is to get a junkyard engine, have the block checked, lightly built, and have it ready for a fresh set of heads when this Engine kicks the bucket, or I throw the bucket at it, whichever comes first. Glad you can get more life out of her though, as choosing to do something (changing engine/fixing) is always better than being forced to do it (Kaboom).
Good advice! I'm driving up to Seattle this weekend towing a boat trailer and will monitor the oil consumption. I just had it serviced so it should be topped up. Does anyone know exactly where the oil level should be when checking in the morning (cold)? Is it into the hatch marks?
I don't completely trust the shop that did it so would love to know the spot where it's full. Then I can gauge the use a bit more accurately. Yes, I should probably know this after 200K but unlike my '76 Bronco, I rarely go under the hood!

Old 08-19-2015, 02:01 AM
In the morning, should be closer to the top of the "ok" area, as all oil will be drained out of Engine and into your pan. Checking it after startup it will be lower until oil drains. You should top it off, but don't go past, as unwanted oil pressure can build up, and leads to more issues. You know though, just check it every once in a while, and invest in a good aftermarket transmission cooler since you do so much towing Keep on trucking buddy!

edit: (I don't think I answered your question, but I don't have a 5.4, so unsure of its oil marks when filled to factory specs. Sorry Boss)

Last edited by Zilla98; 08-19-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:19 PM
how is this motor working for you and how was the service from PS engines?
I am looking for a remanufactured engine to put into my expedition and I have had no luck, most of what I have found have stacks of bad reviews. thanks in advance\;]
any suggestions going forward on this, have you done any power upgrades?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:19 AM
I love reading threads like this. When I was buying my used 2004 F150 this weekend we priced a new one, just for kicks. We got it up to $54,000...for a new F150...wow, granted thats a Royals Royce decked out super fancy version but still! Your thread has me hopeful I can keep mine for a long time!

Old 08-26-2015, 12:29 PM
I'd say put a newer engine in her & run that Sum &^%$#!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 PM
Drove up to Seattle fully loaded and towing a boat trailer. Smooth as silk. The start up rattle in the morning was worse. I'm pretty sure it's the timing chain issue. I checked the oil and it was just under the normal hatch marks before starting. It's really tough to gauge how much oil it used in the 1300 mile drive. I'll add a qt and see how it looks.
I'm going to try to get another year out of it and then get the new motor. It's too damn nice of a truck to get rid of!

Old 08-29-2015, 11:29 AM
Drove up to Seattle fully loaded and towing a boat trailer. Smooth as silk. The start up rattle in the morning was worse. I'm pretty sure it's the timing chain issue. I checked the oil and it was just under the normal hatch marks before starting. It's really tough to gauge how much oil it used in the 1300 mile drive. I'll add a qt and see how it looks.
I'm going to try to get another year out of it and then get the new motor. It's too damn nice of a truck to get rid of!
Keep us posted.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by fordaholic495
That would be the way I'd go .... if I needed to. I like the idea of bearing shells for the cams. Be something to look for if just needed rebuilt heads.

Know the feeling.

You should start a "log book" to keep track of oil and such. Good info helps one make good decisions. In the meantime, keep eyes and ears open for a good deal on a replacement.

Last edited by tbear853; 09-05-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: '05 5.4 thinking of new engine