2004 - 2008 F-150

04' FX4 SuperCrew - Buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' FX4 SuperCrew - Buy it?

So, I've got my 97 XLT (4.6) and it is rear wheel drive only. Obviously being in AK with snow and ice it limits me greatly on what I can do with the truck. Plus its only the extended cab so space interior wise is limited.

I replaced the truck with a 13' Subaru Impreza Wagon because I run a business that I really needed to get great gas mileage for the run around that I do. However I still want to have a useable truck in case I need to haul really large equipment. There hasn't been a need to do this yet but the business is working it's way in that direction.

There is also the need (want) to haul a 2 place trailer for snowmobiles and 4 wheelers, possibly a drop in or cab over (I know, weight...).

My parents have an 04' FX4 SuperCrew cab sitting there doing nothing and I've been offered multiple times to trade my truck plus pay cash to get the FX4. The offer at one point was to trade my truck and pay him 5 or 7k for the truck, which was quite a bit below guide value and the option to buy my truck back when I wanted it. The truck has just turned 90k miles by me on a trip to the mountains with the wife and kid for a snowmobile event and did a great job towing the 2 place trailer with 2 snowmobiles on the heavier side.

Question is...... if I'm wanting to have some form of camper on the truck if it will do that, and tower a trailer, would this be a smart purchase. From my reading it seemed to be that a F250/350 makes much more sense, but obviously is a LOT more expensive and this truck I can get as a deal from family.

Any thoughts on this possible trade/buy?

Old 04-17-2015, 02:26 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Camper AND trailer would be pushing the truck GVWR. For that you need to do the math very carefully.

GVWR is the total allowable weight of the truck and anything in or on it, plus the tongue weight of the trailer. This figure can be found on the door jamb sticker and you will have to use truck scales to get the other numbers.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Yep, I know that in general people always think they can just upgrade suspension to carry more, then there is the issue of braking power and all sorts of other variables. Use the right tool for the job.

However if the truck is capable of doing it according to Ford then I'm ok with it and I'll make sure I shoot for lighter stuff anyhow. I noticed with the 2015's (obviously big different from 04') that they have an entire section about Cab Overs and in it they say you have to upgrade to an optional heavy duty package for it to officially support it. Obviously there are weight limits in play as well.

My understanding was that the FX4 has an upgraded suspension system capable of pulling more and hauling more in bed, slightly over a normal XL/XLT (maybe lariat?)

Here are the numbers off the door jam.

Front GAWR: 3750lb
Rear GAWR: 3850lb
GVWR 7200lb
Running P275/65/18's (Not E class)
Axel Code: B6 (3.73 limited slip)

So any advice on this considering the cost, ect? I wouldn't need the vehicle for daily driving, but would be used for toy hauling and camping trips with the family. I changed to oil on it myself last weekend since it hadn't been done in 1200mi but 3 years worth of being used a couple times a year. Got a killer deal on 5w-20 at AutoZone, Mobile1 Synthetic Extended Performance for $3.00 a quart! Bought 10 cases for $180. The truck also needs new plugs (yep the 2 part plug lol) and the thermostat is throwing a code.

I'd most likely go through the truck and flush radiator coolant, new thermostat, axle grease changed, repack bearings on wheels, transmission and filter change, new plugs and wires. The brakes and rotors were replaced with Ford OEM parts at a dealer about 2000 miles ago.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:57 PM
glc
It doesn't take much to hit that 7200# rating, and also the rear axle 3850# rating. 7200 is not the heavy duty package.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FX4 suspension is hardly at all different from XLT/Lariat in 2004/2014 package. It is primarily an appearance package. It does offer a variety of things like towing pkg, skid plates, 3.55 axle and better, and I want to say they are all limited slip diff but I can not guarantee it.

The biggest hype about 2004+ trucks in terms of towing is the strength of the fully boxed frame. The 4r75 trans is a good trans too but still has its half ton limits, as does the 5.4L energy. I don't tow or know much about it but it sounds like you would have it sweating good, look into a power stroke. The better towing mpg alone would be worth the up cost.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:30 PM
I'm not exactly in the market for a truck, just have an option to get a truck from family for what seems like a great deal. I know the history of the truck and was there when it was bought even. So I know its been fairly well taken care of, other than its sparse use these last few years.

A cab over was just a curiosity of mine since you can pickup on cheaper older ones for 500-1000 in my area. Otherwise there is the possibility of my pulling a pop up camper or 2 place snowmobile trailer, both of which are easily pulled by the truck.

If you had the option of trading a rear wheel 97 F150 4.6L (XLT) for this truck plus paying 5-7k, would you consider that an offer not worth passing up?

Last edited by Haemon; 04-17-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:59 PM
glc
I'm leery of used 5.4 3 valves, especially the first year, but that sounds like a decent deal if you are looking for a 4wd truck.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:59 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Go for it. It appears to be a good deal. The 2004 engine isn't quite as reliable as your 4.6 due to the VCT but I'm sure you know that. It will do a better job of towing than what you have now and the 4x4 will be nice to have in Alaska I suspect.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Given that it was cared well for an you know the history since new, it is worth a shot of buying it. A much nicer updated truck from what you have now. Slightly worse on fuel, but much safer crash test rated cabin. If making up the pay off cash isn't a problem go for it. If it might be an inconvenience, wait and buy a 5.0L truck in a couple years.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:05 AM
No chance in hell you're going to get into a reliable Power Stroke unless you are spending a good amount of money.

I just bought a 2011 F-150 FX4 with the 5.0L for $14,500. Full service history from Ford, and it runs like it's brand new. Has 123,000 miles on it, too.

I bet you can find a decent XLT 5.0L truck for about $8-9k after your trade-in.

Quick Reply: 04' FX4 SuperCrew - Buy it?