2004 - 2008 F-150

Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filters

I had a mechanics shop tell me that the only oil filter I should use on my F-150 5.4 is Motorcraft. I've always used Mobil one oil filters and oil with no problems. Has anyone heard of this?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
There's no requirement to use Motorcraft - although I agree with your mechanics advice. The FL's are excellent filters at a fair price - what more could you want?

Old 03-31-2015, 11:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You need a filter that has plastic anti drain back valve. Stay away from cheap filters and Fram. Motorcraft, Purolater, and Wix are good as well as some others. The Mobil may be good too, just don't know about it.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
You need a filter that has plastic anti drain back valve. Stay away from cheap filters and Fram. Motorcraft, Purolater, and Wix are good as well as some others. The Mobil may be good too, just don't know about it.
I hate to disagree with somebody of your stature, but I do disagree. An anti-drain back provision is only critical when the filter is mounted upside down. (That would be where the open end faces down.) In this mounting orientation, the anti-drain back feature prevents oil from draining out of the filter - causing a delay in getting oil through the filter and to the rest of the engine on re-start.

If you'll notice, virtually all recent Ford engines mount the filter either vertically with the open end up. A few mount it in a partially horizontal position. Even on these "tilted" mountings though, if you look at where the openings are on the filter relative to the openings on the block, at best a few drops of oil are at risk of draining back. And when your filter is mounted with the opening up, unless you roll the vehicle upside down, the anti-drain back valve will do absolutely nothing. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

My dealer gave me the same speech a while back saying that Ford could void my warranty someday for using the "premium" K&N or Mobil One filters that I'd been using. I then - in my best Mechanical Engineer tone - gave them the exact same explanation I just shared above. What followed was two Service Advisors and one Service Manager stumbling all over the place trying to cover their tracks.

Just so you know, I did go back to using the "recommended" filters just so my warranty wouldn't be voided. As soon as the warranty expired though, I went back to filters that trap more junk.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by 2stroked
I hate to disagree with somebody of your stature, but I do disagree. An anti-drain back provision is only critical when the filter is mounted upside down. (That would be where the open end faces down.) In this mounting orientation, the anti-drain back feature prevents oil from draining out of the filter - causing a delay in getting oil through the filter and to the rest of the engine on re-start.

If you'll notice, virtually all recent Ford engines mount the filter either vertically with the open end up. A few mount it in a partially horizontal position. Even on these "tilted" mountings though, if you look at where the openings are on the filter relative to the openings on the block, at best a few drops of oil are at risk of draining back. And when your filter is mounted with the opening up, unless you roll the vehicle upside down, the anti-drain back valve will do absolutely nothing. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

My dealer gave me the same speech a while back saying that Ford could void my warranty someday for using the "premium" K&N or Mobil One filters that I'd been using. I then - in my best Mechanical Engineer tone - gave them the exact same explanation I just shared above. What followed was two Service Advisors and one Service Manager stumbling all over the place trying to cover their tracks.

Just so you know, I did go back to using the "recommended" filters just so my warranty wouldn't be voided. As soon as the warranty expired though, I went back to filters that trap more junk.
When the cardboard anti drainbacks collapse, the oil can not get to the top of the engine quickly, which causes a startup without oil. You get engine rattles at startup. Been documented for years. That is why Fram filters were named the Orange kiss of death.

Last edited by Bluejay; 04-01-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:08 AM
When the cardboard anti drainbacks collapse, the oil can not get to the top of the engine quickly, which causes a startup without oil. You get engine rattles at startup. Been documented for years. That is why Fram filters were named the Orange kiss of death.
Absolutely agree - on Fram Filters. My point was that a filter not having an anti-drain back feature, doesn't hurt you at all due to the mounting orientation of the filter.

So for "premium" filters like Purolator Pure One, Mobil One, K&N etc. I see no disadvantage in using them. And the advantage would be better / more complete filtration.

Your thoughts?

Tom

Last edited by 2stroked; 04-01-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:47 AM
here are a bunch of oil filters cut open. you choose which one you want on your truck! RevBiker

http://safeshare.tv/w/RbVvQAtRhW

Old 04-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm

first, you want a silicone ADV (anti-drainback valve - like in FL820S for silicone). Butyl rubber has a tendency to harden over time, and I've never heard of a cardboard ADV...the flexing would break it quickly. Cardboard end caps, yes, but not ADV.

As far as orientation goes it has nothing to do with the purpose of the ADV. The ADV keeps oil in the engine passages and doesn't let it backflow into the sump. It's not just there for the oil in the filter itself. This is especially important for the VVT systems in the 5.4l 3valve V8 engine as the solenoids and phasers don't last long starved for oil at each start.

I suspect the OPs mobil1 filter has a decent ADV mounted on the near or far side of the filter.

Research yourself silly here.

Absolutely agree - on Fram Filters. My point was that a filter not having an anti-drain back feature, doesn't hurt you at all due to the mounting orientation of the filter.

So for "premium" filters like Purolator Pure One, Mobil One, K&N etc. I see no disadvantage in using them. And the advantage would be better / more complete filtration.

Your thoughts?

Tom

Old 04-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Your thoughts?

Tom
I thought I said some of those filters are fine. Some, you listed, I have no knowledge of.

All I know is what I was told years ago and have seen on this site many times, if the anti drainback valve collapses, you do not get oil to the top of the engine quick enough to eliminate a "dry" start and you have friction.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The Mobil 1 filter is an excellent filter, and the K&N is the exact same filter with the addition of a nut welded on the end of it for easy removal with a standard socket or box wrench.

If you use Mobil 1 oil, use the recommended 5W20 grade and I'd recommend the "EP" as it has more synthetics.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Motorcraft. That's all I need. No need for a premium filter in a non-high performance vehicle.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:30 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
There is a need for a premium filter if you are using a high end synthetic oil and are going for extended drain intervals. I use Mobil 1 EP and a Mobil 1 filter and change the oil every 10k.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by glc
There is a need for a premium filter if you are using a high end synthetic oil and are going for extended drain intervals. I use Mobil 1 EP and a Mobil 1 filter and change the oil every 10k.
Exactly what I do. With the number of miles I put on in a year, I don't want to be crawling under my truck every month changing the oil.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 PM
oil filter

Think I opened a can of worms.

I've always used Mobil 5W20 and Mobil oil filters on both my truck and my wife's Crossfire. I change the oil at 7,000 miles. The mechanics said that K&W and Mobil filter weren't that good.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Motorcraft FL820S is what's on my 4.6 and 5.4 Fords.

Originally Posted by tcp2
... etc ...
As far as orientation goes it has nothing to do with the purpose of the ADV. The ADV keeps oil in the engine passages and doesn't let it backflow into the sump. It's not just there for the oil in the filter itself. This is especially important for the VVT systems in the 5.4l 3valve V8 engine as the solenoids and phasers don't last long starved for oil at each start.

... etc ...
... etc ...
All I know is what I was told years ago and have seen on this site many times, if the anti drainback valve collapses, you do not get oil to the top of the engine quick enough to eliminate a "dry" start and you have friction.

Yep, that has been my understanding...... and that Bobistheoilguy is a good site for all sorts of stuff.

Last edited by tbear853; 04-01-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Filters