2004 - 2008 F-150

Metal clanking when turning steering wheel righ

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal clanking when turning steering wheel righ

04 F-150, 5.4L FX4 Supercab, 206k.

I've had good luck with help on here the last few times I've asked and thanks in advance. My truck is getting old and its having some noise issues. The first noise is when I turn the steering wheel to the right, I hear a metal clanking sound. It doesn't do it when doing a full right turn. For example, when I am at a drive thru waiting in a straight line, the truck is just sitting there. If I tug on the steering wheel to the right, I hear a clank clank clank with each tug. I'm not pulling hard, just slightly moving the wheels. Nothing when I do it to the left. I also hear a similar clank when the cab is moving around over bumps or a high driveway into a shopping strip, usually to the right. I have noticed that my truck has a harder time not drifting in lanes. It doesn't pull like it needs an alignment, but I have noticed that it doesn't stay in its lane as easily as it used to. This is a recent thing too.

The second noise is when the engine is working. Not idle, but in traffic just cruising at street speeds. Sound isn't audible at freeway speeds, but that doesn't mean it's not happening. This is a bit more difficult to describe. It's like a bird chirping sound. Not a high pitched one, just a low sounding chirp. Like a chick chick sound...just not high pitched. Intermittent. Just started it this week.

The final sound, and slight feel, is when I am at a low speed - usually 10 and below. This also just started this week. When I am at a low speed and I give it gas and then release the gas, I can sometimes hear/feel a rumble. Not loud, not high pitched...just a rumble. Not a heavy one I can feel easily through the gas pedal, it's mostly audible. Also intermittent.

I hope none of these are serious as I while I am not an advanced mechanic, if I can see it, with help, I can usually fix/replace it. Again, I thank you for your advice in advance.

Ray

Old 03-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Bueller?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 AM
um i m not sure but i would have lift front end (ON STRONG FLOOR STAND) ( front tires off from ground) and have someone to do the steering turning , you can try to track the noise, CHECKING all joints arms, tie rods etc to see if theres some play in there.

Also to use long pry rod to lift front left and right arms to check the upper or lower joints has play or hear it.

WHen i turns right,it was pop or clunk…i found my upper right arm joint worn so i replaced it. its one piece.

And also recently my steering shaft became stiff and hard to turns left/right so i replaced it and its smooth now.

HTH

Jake

Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM
I have a 04 f150 stx 4.6 v8 200k miles. My steering shaft got stiff too. Flooded it with Teffon spray lube on the u-jts and worked back n fort. been 6 months w/ no problems w/ it.
A bird type noise could be a u-jount in drive shaft starting to go bad. Mainly when taking off and making a turn under 5 MPH. If the noise speeds up and goes away. u-jts.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the information guys.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 AM
The first two noises you are hearing are more than likely coming from your ball joints, tie rod ends, and possibly sway bar end links. My bet is the first two. I was having the same problems and now everything is perfect. You can buy replacements for little to nothing and it doesn't take long to replace the stuff. Not sure on the other noises though.

Quick Reply: Metal clanking when turning steering wheel righ