2004 - 2008 F-150

Any Help Appreciated!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Help Appreciated!

Hello All...
I have a 2004 5.4L V8 Triton w 182,xxx miles. My problem is my engine temp guage. It has been acting up for quite some time now. I will get in it after it has been sitting for long periods of time and the guage will all ready be all over the place. Somedays it will go with out issue. But those days are getting fewer. This pic was taken this morning after work (3rd shift). Thermostat was replaced a few months back. Thought that was my problem to began with. It has coolant and filled as it should be. My truck is running fine. Starts right up, heats up as usual (I live in Ohio btw...) and no warning indicators are showing.
Thanks in advance for any help/info.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine temp gauge

Hello All..
I have a 2004 5.4L Triton FX4 with 182,xxx miles. My issue is that my temp gauge has been acting up. It has been going on for quite awhile now. I did replace the thermostat thinking that could be the problem with no avail. I have gotten into my truck after it has been sitting for an extended period of time and the gauge will be showing a reading. My truck is not having any issues. It starts just fine and runs fine. There is coolant and it is at the correct level. I am not receiving any warning indicators either. The pic shows my gauge only after diving for about 5 min. Right after I got off work. Not sure what to think... CHT sensor or just the gauge? Or something else?? Don't know a lot about engines and even less on the electrical side.
I tried to post this earlier and it didn't post. At least that i could see. If this is a double post I'm sorry.
Thanks in advance for any help/info.

Was just past the 3/4 mark when i got in before i even put the key in.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
If it starts 3/4 the way (assuming cold start) it sounds like a gauge issue

I believe you can do the cluster back door service mode on the 04 like you used to be able to for the 97-03 trucks.

Start the engine while holding the trip reset button on the cluster
It will change the display where the miles are into Test mode
Scroll through and get to engine temp page, and the temperature displayed should be in C not F
See if that is a normal reading there

Or you can look up the specified resistance values of the coolant temp sensor, and test the resistance on your sensor given cold and hot temperatures and see if the sensor is working correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Help Appreciated!