2004 - 2008 F-150

Transmission fluid pouring out

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid pouring out

So.. I'm driving down the hwy on my way home from work with my cruise set like normal. Suddenly I look in my rear view and can't barely see the cars behind me because of all the smoke. I pull over as fast as I can and look under to see tranny fluid covering the under carriage. It's still pouring out from the front of the trans by the flywheel. Any guesses? It's dark now and gotta be to work early so it's gonna have to wait til Saturday before I can drop the transmission and see what happened so I'm just trying to get some ideas

Old 03-26-2015, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ubuthedog
So.. I'm driving down the hwy on my way home from work with my cruise set like normal. Suddenly I look in my rear view and can't barely see the cars behind me because of all the smoke. I pull over as fast as I can and look under to see tranny fluid covering the under carriage. It's still pouring out from the front of the trans by the flywheel. Any guesses? It's dark now and gotta be to work early so it's gonna have to wait til Saturday before I can drop the transmission and see what happened so I'm just trying to get some ideas
sounds like the front pump main seal.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:45 AM
Tranny fluid leaks can be caused by a problem with your pan gasket (that's the mechanical seal between the transmission and the transmission oil pan). It gets worn over time. Looks like you need to have it replaced. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:06 AM
It's not the pan, it's coming from the bell housing. I'm gonna drop the pan anyway and change the filter but this must be a seal or line. Could it be the torque converter?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by kentDMZ
Tranny fluid leaks can be caused by a problem with your pan gasket (that's the mechanical seal between the transmission and the transmission oil pan). It gets worn over time. Looks like you need to have it replaced. Hope it gets fixed soon.
Nonsense. Those gaskets are made to last the life of the transmission and usually do.

Front pump seal has puked on the OP's tranny as already mentioned. Might be the TC shaft seal, but the front seal failure isn't uncommon.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
I have seen this in fords before. The filter is clogging up and for some reason pushes the fluid out the front bell housing. I have change filters and fluid and this has corrected the problem on fords. try this before doing anything else.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If the filter is that clogged up, the transmission is already toast.

However, since the pump pulls fluid out of the pan through the filter, I can't see any way that a clogged filter will force a fluid expulsion through the front pump seal.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 04-01-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 PM
It was the front seal from what I can tell, but it doesn't seem to be in horrible shape either. Kinda stumped here, could it have gotten too hot? Somehow fluid was forced out, filter doesn't appear clogged. It's an 07 5.4 4x4 with 109k, just did the cam phasers and all the timing components. Once I fix the transmission up I should be able to get another 20-30k miles out of it... That was a bad/sad joke

Old 03-30-2015, 10:18 AM
not sure why fluid comes out the front of trans, (Vent, seal) May be caused by foaming of the fluid, only seen this when the trans was very hot, summer time, changed the filter and problem went away. I think it was on Ford C-6 trany

Old 03-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Lucus Trany fix works great on front trany seals.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this happen on a 2000 Windstar. I know it's a completely different transmission, but it still has a pump, torque convertor, and seals. Going through the Great Smoky Mountains it started leaking bad. We had to stop several times to let the transmission cool. After 45 minutes or so, we would start driving again and the leak mostly stopped until the transmission got hot from pulling up the mountain. Then it would leak badly. Under heat and pressure, the pump seal was starting to fail and actually swell and flip out of place. This caused a massive leak. Letting it cool allowed the seal to go back into position. At 160K miles, it cost more to fix than the van was worth, so I traded it off.

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup

Old 03-31-2015, 08:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kentDMZ
Since when does a non-moving part (the pan gasket) "get worn over time?" (If you used the words "degrades over time" I might have bought it.) This particular gasket is made to last the life of the truck if cared for properly. This only "wear" it sees is when somebody drops, then re-installs the pan.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=Ubuthedog;5141733]So.. I'm driving down the hwy on my way home from work with my cruise set like normal. Suddenly I look in my rear view and can't barely see the cars behind me because of all the smoke. I pull over as fast as I can and look under to see tranny fluid covering the under carriage. It's still pouring out from the front of the trans by the flywheel. Any guesses? It's dark now and gotta be to work early so it's gonna have to wait til Saturday before I can drop the transmission and see what happened so I'm just trying to get some ideas [/QUOTE

What did you find out about this, it just happened to me also this week October 2017. I have a Ford F150 2005.... sounds exactly the same to me, I pulled over and waited for a tow. while parked I saw fluid leaking out....any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=Huey63;5225119]
Originally Posted by Ubuthedog
So.. I'm driving down the hwy on my way home from work with my cruise set like normal. Suddenly I look in my rear view and can't barely see the cars behind me because of all the smoke. I pull over as fast as I can and look under to see tranny fluid covering the under carriage. It's still pouring out from the front of the trans by the flywheel. Any guesses? It's dark now and gotta be to work early so it's gonna have to wait til Saturday before I can drop the transmission and see what happened so I'm just trying to get some ideas [/QUOTE

What did you find out about this, it just happened to me also this week October 2017. I have a Ford F150 2005.... sounds exactly the same to me, I pulled over and waited for a tow. while parked I saw fluid leaking out....any help would be greatly appreciated!
Same thing happened today, 05 150, 09.2019, any answers?

Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
[QUOTE=Jeff Hash;5254553]
Originally Posted by Huey63
Same thing happened today, 05 150, 09.2019, any answers?
His last activity was April of 2015. I don't think he's going to answer you. If you have a problem, post a new thread and we can help diagnose.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid pouring out