2004 - 2008 F-150

High Mount Brake Light Q?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question High Mount Brake Light Q?'s

Back in 07 when I bought my truck new it had the infamous 3rd brake light leak into the cab. I brought it back to the dealer and it was fixed under warranty.
Just recently the 3rd brake light bulb is not working, which means it is probably burned out. When the dealer fixed it I have no clue as to how they did it. I am guessing it could have been a new gasket along with some kind of silicone. Or, just a new gasket. Or, just silicone. If there is some kind of silicone involved would it be in my best interest to get a new lens just in case I crack the old one? Does Ford now make a new and improved gasket? Any advice in this area is greatly appreciated.
I want to go back with an LED bulb due to their longevity. I just want a basic LED bulb, nothing fancy. Any advice in this area is greatly appreciated also.

Last edited by BlueOvalFitter; 03-05-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Back in 07 when I bought my truck new it had the infamous 3rd brake light leak into the cab. I brought it back to the dealer and it was fixed under warranty.
Just recently the 3rd brake light bulb is not working, which means it is probably burned out. When the dealer fixed it I have no clue as to how they did it. I am guessing it could have been a new gasket along with some kind of silicone. Or, just a new gasket. Or, just silicone. If there is some kind of silicone involved would it be in my best interest to get a new lens just in case I crack the old one? Does Ford now make a new and improved gasket? Any advice in this area is greatly appreciated.
I want to go back with an LED bulb due to their longevity. I just want a basic LED bulb, nothing fancy. Any advice in this area is greatly appreciated also.
Ford does make a new and improved gasket, but I don't know if they sell it by it self, or if you'd need the whole assembly.

I cracked mine cause I messed with it too much. Bought a used one on ebay that was in perfect shape for $40.

I completely removed the old gasket and used a bead of silicone in its place. Let it fully cure before installing. I learned that the hard way, and that's why I ended up breaking the old housing.

Lastly, put leds in there and you won't have to mess with it again. Just pay attention to lumens and candle power when comparing leds. Put a red led for the brake light.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...se-tower/1129/

That's what I used and they're just as bright as the stock bulbs.
High Mount Brake Light Q?'s-tiaz99z.jpg
High Mount Brake Light Q?'s-qiehqnn.jpg

I have no leaks at all either.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 2008_XL; 03-06-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ps feel free to ask me an unanswered questions you may have. Through trial and error and a lot of messing with the third brake light, I've seemed to figure out what works as far as bulbs and how to properly seal it.

Quick Reply: High Mount Brake Light Q?'s