2004 - 2008 F-150

Stutters under load

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stutters under load

I have a 2005 f150 FX4 4x4 101,000 miles on it and under acceleration, the engine shutters/stutters between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM’s but settles down when you let out of it or once its above 4,000 RPM. It does it when under hard acceleration from a start or if you gun it on the freeway to pass people. It has never thrown a code though. I have replaced the spark plugs,coil packs,fuel pump and transmission service at 75K. Any help or ideas would be great!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KELLY-K
I have a 2005 f150 FX4 4x4 101,000 miles on it and under acceleration, the engine shutters/stutters between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM’s but settles down when you let out of it or once its above 4,000 RPM. It does it when under hard acceleration from a start or if you gun it on the freeway to pass people. It has never thrown a code though. I have replaced the spark plugs,coil packs,fuel pump and transmission service at 75K. Any help or ideas would be great!
Could be a low-grade random misfire - below the threshold that triggers a CEL.

However, there will still be stored pending codes - accessible via an advanced scanner (Mode $06)

BTW - is that WITH or WITHOUT yer Edge programmer canned tuning?

MGD

Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 AM
I had the Edge tuner at stage 3 and returned it to stock and it does the same thing.
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Could be a low-grade random misfire - below the threshold that triggers a CEL.

However, there will still be stored pending codes - accessible via an advanced scanner (Mode $06)

BTW - is that WITH or WITHOUT yer Edge programmer canned tuning?

MGD

Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KELLY-K
I had the Edge tuner at stage 3 and returned it to stock and it does the same thing.
Keep it stock until this is sorted. Canned tuning and a misbehaving truck is a recipe fer grief.

Time to get those codes.

Fer chits & giggles, take a peek at ye FPDM...

MGD

Old 01-26-2015, 07:05 PM
My 04 is doing the same thing now that other things have been fixed, ie. vacuum leak at intake. Check engine light will flash but then goes off. Only does it when under a load, going uphill, getting out in traffic, etc. Havent checked the FPDM, thing I will do that tomorrow.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Took the truck to a shop and the tech drove it with a scanner on the passenger seat and no code were found,injectors,coil packs,fuel pressure all were with in range and no misfires were stored. I installed new plugs,packs,maf,intake manifold,FPDM,throttle body,knock sensor all before the fall of last year. I even with to the transmission shop this morning and they thought it was a misfire as well,so what gives? Anyone one else had an issue like this?
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Keep it stock until this is sorted. Canned tuning and a misbehaving truck is a recipe fer grief.

Time to get those codes.

Fer chits & giggles, take a peek at ye FPDM...

MGD

Quick Reply: Stutters under load