2004 - 2008 F-150

06 F150 4x4 grinding when actuated while moving

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 F150 4x4 grinding when actuated while moving

Hey guys,

So I have a problem that I cant seem to figure out from the other threads I have read. My 4x4 system seems to be grinding, however, it only does it if I attempt to put the truck in 4wd from 2wd while moving. If i switch to 4wd at a stop, the system works perfectly, but if I try to do this while moving the hubs (I assume?) grind until I slow down to a stop, then they engage.

I just replaced my IWE solenoid last night, but that doesnt seem to have fixed the problem. It may have something to do with the cold weather, but I cant tell for sure simply because I havent needed to use 4wd all summer till now.

Thanks in advance,

Garret.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How fast are you going when you try to engage the 4wd also are you letting off the gas and coasting when you engage the 4wd? Most recommend stopping to lock the truck in 4wd. Depending on the situation I make sure I'm going under 30 mph or less let off the gas and coast then engage the 4wd. Before I get back on the gas I let the truck coast until I feel it has locked totally into 4wd. Other method I pull over come to a stop kick 4wd in, roll away as the truck locks in then give it gas. My 4wd has grinded going in both current truck and last f150 05. Especially if u got no option but to get the 4wd engaged and can't move forward any or back so the splines line up to engage.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going maybe 20 mph and it was grinding. In the past I have even switch the system at highway speeds (I know, not recommended), but it had worked perfectly, no grinding and a very smooth engagement. I am just trying to figure out what exactly has changed or worn out to cause such a dramatic change in operation.

Quick Reply: 06 F150 4x4 grinding when actuated while moving