2004 - 2008 F-150

New Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Headlights

Quality wise time will tell. But, first impression? Not bad. I think I lucked out here.

Check out some pics!

Old 11-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey.

Some details would be nice - source, price, bulb types, etc.

Looks are subjective - and those are better than most of the aftermarket offerings.

But - the real determinator is output - without beam shots, it's impossible to rate them. So many aftermarket units result in Less output than stock. - primarily due to poor bulb choices ( e.g. H1's), poor reflector / ersatz 'projector' design, etc. And - a lot of them fog up and leak.

And - as long as you avoid installing a PnP HID kit in these (for which they likely are not made for), you should be okay. Need those beam pattern shots.

Good luck

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-21-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not bad for an aftermarket light, but there is still entirely too much going on with them. I wish that they would stop making a relocated hi-beam with projectors.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Not bad for an aftermarket light, but there is still entirely too much going on with them. I wish that they would stop making a relocated hi-beam with projectors.
Agreed. It's done for cost, as that is not a true projector in any case; certainly not one capable of bi-xenon operation. Hence the need to provide something resembling hi-beam functionality.

Good news is, these would make a decent candidate fer a proper HID projector retrofit. Reassigning the hi-beam location to aux driving light/fog/DRL duty, or a quad bi-xenon, or ... lol

Interested to know the price. TRS HID retro's ( entry-level / value systems / closeouts / B-stock) can be done fer ~$200. And absolutely blow most anything like these away. Just sayin' ...

MGD

Old 11-21-2014, 06:45 PM
MGD, you're a wiseman!

I've got these from Ebay, here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0408-F150-06...-/371178704019

H1 55W high beam and H3 55W low beam

Here's pic of the cut offs.

Just went for a ride. No one flashes me which is a good thing.
The outputs, I would say better than OEM.
The high beam is great. Bright concentrated on the center of the road not on top of the tree.
The adjustments are very easy using a 10 mm and way you go. Mine came a little low, had to go up a bit, was straight forward and linearly not all over the place.

For the price I think you can't beat it with a 6' stick.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to hear they put out clean output. I have a cheap projector set on my car ( cavalier ). I only bought them because they use an H7 bulb like stock, and they are bi-xenon. I would consider a hardware changeout for them in the future to make them a true retro fit. I tore them open and painted them gloss black, really happy with them. Almost every other projector light out there is H1 everything, that, and most of the overly dressed up to the point of tacky styling is what draws me away from projector lights. Nothing beats the appeal of a retrofit with some accessories, but those look quite clean for aftermarket.

Oh, and I really like your retaining wall. I want to do something similar to my driveway and back yard.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Good to hear they put out clean output. I have a cheap projector set on my car ( cavalier ). I only bought them because they use an H7 bulb like stock, and they are bi-xenon. I would consider a hardware changeout for them in the future to make them a true retro fit. I tore them open and painted them gloss black, really happy with them. Almost every other projector light out there is H1 everything, that, and most of the overly dressed up to the point of tacky styling is what draws me away from projector lights. Nothing beats the appeal of a retrofit with some accessories, but those look quite clean for aftermarket.

Oh, and I really like your retaining wall. I want to do something similar to my driveway and back yard.
I agree BI-xenon is way to go, I do plan to have my OEM headlights turn into a Bi-xenon with satin black painted when time allows.

How long did it take you to bake before you can open yours?

Yeah, without a doubt all of them aftermarkets out there are tacky and cheap looking. I think the one I chose is the least of all evils.

Oh! Thank you on the retaining wall comment.
Some more pics of the backyard for you.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That's actually decent output for a halogen unit. I wonder if the projectors can be swapped out.

FYI we have an "Illumination and Lightning" forum for all things headlights

Quick Reply: New Headlights