2004 - 2008 F-150

O2 sensor replacement

Old 10-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O2 sensor replacement

Replaced my front 2 O2 sensors today. It took me 3 hours. 2hrs 45min to do the passenger side, 15 min to do the driver side. The passenger side is every bit the bi*ch people say it is. Actually I do have 3 excuses for why it took so long on the passenger side.
1. I have a Lariat with the fender molding and had to remove that before I could remove the fender skirt.
2. I have rather large hands & forearms (definitely a hindrance)
3. I am 56 years old. This should be a breeze for you young whipper-snappers.

The O2 offset socket I bought was useless on the passenger side. I used a open end 7/8 wrench and it worked really well. It was just very tight and a lot of flipping the wrench around. When I unbolted the brace for the transmission fill tube, it didn't really move out of the way. It moves just a little bit, but every little bit helps. Unscrewing the sensor was tough because when I broke the sensor loose, it would spin freely which was hard with the pigtail flopping around. Putting the fender skirt back on is a lot easier than taking it off. Don't miss the clip studs that are attached to a connector on the engine side of the skirt. In my opinion, the skirt must be taken out of the way. I read where someone only unbolted it half way and folded it back. Must have been quite a move as I could not see how it could be done.

The reason for swapping them out was my continued quest to find a slight rough idle when stopped in gear with brake on.

It made no difference. The sensors I took out actually looked like you would want plug tips to look after being in service.

Oh well, at least I can cross this off the list.

Last edited by Mathwiz; 10-31-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Nice job. Did you happen to disconnect the battery while doing so?
Whats some info on the truck? Slight miss at idle could be a number of things.
Just read your other post regarding the miss. Sounds like you have a few things to look at. Might want to update that thread and see if any more responses come in

Last edited by Toyz; 11-01-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:47 PM
I didn't disconnect the neg battery cable. What would be the down side to not doing that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 sensor replacement