2004 - 2008 F-150

Third brake light housing stuck on with silicone

Old 10-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Third brake light housing stuck on with silicone

I used rtv silicone last time on it (clear) and I guess I didn't let it set long enough before putting the housing back on.

It won't budge. Any ideas? Heat gun?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I used rtv silicone last time on it (clear) and I guess I didn't let it set long enough before putting the housing back on.

It won't budge. Any ideas? Heat gun?
Sounds like it did it's job?

NOT heat on plastic and RTV.

If you need to remove it and don't want to damage it, then patience is the key and a couple small plastic or wooden wedges driven in just a hair and let them set awhile, then a little more, and let set, and etc and soon it'll be loose.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carefully wedge it up a litte, and then hopefully, cut the silicone with a knife.

I replaced my third brake light with a new Ford version. It has a much improved design, and better seal. It was also about $85 or so.

If you are going to reseal yours with silicone, I'd recommend LED bulbs - hopefully, they will be longer lasting or even lifetime.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks.

Ended up being able to get a razor blade in there to free the sealant. Tried the pilot brand led in the third brake lamp, the was its made, only one led is facing in the right direction and the other 10 or so aren't. The third brake light appeared so dim with that led in there that you couldn't even see if it was on during daylight.

I took it out and replaced with the sylvania long life bulb.

Also used black rtv gasket maker in there instead of clear silicone. It's not supposed to harden the same so it should be easier to remove in the future. I'll have to wait and see if it's as water tight as the clear stuff. If not, I'll put clear rtv back in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Third brake light housing stuck on with silicone