2004 - 2008 F-150

Check Engine Light - Multiple Codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light - Multiple Codes

Hello All,

I have a 2005 Supercrew 5.4L F150

Last year, I backed into a ice/snow bank and jarred my dual exhaust pipes and ever since then, I've been having issues.

The issues I were having were that when you start the truck in the cold weather, you can feel the engine shaking...shaking so much it shakes the truck and it seems the exhaust is a little more throaty than normal and it gives you the sense that the truck wants to stall out. The check engine light this year has been on since the colder weather has started about 2 weeks ago. Also, when I go to get on the highway and i step on the gas, the exhaust putters and then you see the check engine light start blinking and it's like it can't accelerate too quickly.

I stopped by AutoZone last year and they told me that I had a "cylinder 4 misfire" so I replaced the coil pack thinking this might be the issue. I had just put 8 new spark plugs in and a new fuel filter about 3 months before hitting the snow bank. Maybe the exhaust jarred the engine and cracked a spark plug? Not sure yet, haven't had a chance to take #4 out.

But here are all the 2 codes that they pulled just the other day again:

Troubleshooting: P0304
- Cylinder misfire detected - cylinder number 4

Explanation:
- The power-train control module monitors the crankshaft.
- Speed has detected a misfire

Probable Cause:
- Ignition system, faulty spark plugs, ignition wires.
- Vacuum leak
- Injector fault
- High or low fuel pressure

Troubleshooting: P0316
- Crank Sensor Condition

Explanation:
- crankshaft position sensor signal is monitored for errors.

Probable Cause:
- Crank sensor defective
- Check connector and wiring to sensor
- check trigger wheel for damage

I don't know if others have experienced the same things for their 2005 trucks, but I thought I'd start here before paying a garage to check things out.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 PM
I also have a 2005. First thing I thought of was a bad injector.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Ok, so i replaced the spark plug and the coil pack. I had Midas tell me that it could also be a bad fuel injector or a valve spring, or possibly the engine running slow. I'm taking it in this afternoon to have the code cleared and then I'll run it for about 80 miles to see if the code comes back.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:42 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You can clear the codes yourself with most code readers or by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes or by pulling the PCM fuse.

My $20 code reader will clear them.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:47 AM
I need to get it inspected by the end of the month. I know, bad timing for this engine light to come on. I'll clear the code and then go from there. The ford dealer told me today that it could also be an O2 sensor or a gasket problem, but won't know til they could get in there and do a diagnostic on it. Ugh, not a fan of taking it there, but I need to figure out what the deal is.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Only 2 codes? They both point to misfires. If you track down the 304 the 316 will probably go away.

304 is for cylinder #4 (but you knew that). 316 means that a misfire has been detected in the first 1000 revolutions, probably because #4 is dead. Don't get tricked into replacing any sensors, they just report the issue. Go through the procedure to track down the #4 misfire and you should be good to go.

Possible causes;
Bad COP
Bad Boot on the cop
Bad or fouled plug
Bad or loose connection for the COP
Moisture in the plug well

That is the easy stuff to start with.

And no you cannot break a spark plug by jamming your exhaust into a snow bank.

The funny exhaust sound could be from the misfire or from a cracked exhaust pipe, which could be from backing into a snow bank.

Good luck and post your fix.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Multiple Codes