2004 - 2008 F-150

Cloyes timing kit recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cloyes timing kit recommended?

I bought the cloyes timing kit to install with my cam phaser job. I started doing some reading before I dig into it and found some posts with cloyes tensioners blowing the seal out and guides wearing quickly. Does anyone have experience with this kit?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Nobody has used cloyes?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never used cloyes personally. But I found the guys over at www.shopfreedomracing.com have really reasonable priced oem parts. If you are thinking about returning your cloyes branded timing kit, check them out.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:38 PM

Thanks! Just got it opened up. Passenger side chain is really loose and drivers side is tight. Most likely going to use them since it apart. I assume the passenger side tensioner is shot.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you notice excess wear on the guides, I would think the tensioner is toast.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:37 AM
I would never buy aftermarket timing chain and related parts for an overhead cam engine. Be safe and spend a few more bucks and buy OEM. I have had good luck with Cloyes parts on older v-8 performance builds, but have never used them on late model engines.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastbob
I would never buy aftermarket timing chain and related parts for an overhead cam engine. Be safe and spend a few more bucks and buy OEM. I have had good luck with Cloyes parts on older v-8 performance builds, but have never used them on late model engines.
^^^ Solid advice.

This goes double fer Dorman components

MGD

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
^^^ Solid advice.

This goes double fer Dorman components

MGD
Maybe even triple - Dorman just plain sucks.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fastbob
Thanks for the advice!

I asked the question too late they are already in. They were what was listed on the cam phaser repair thread so i got them,but also because they have a good rep.So far so good

I understand what your saying,but Ford doesn't make their own parts. They are made by auto parts suppliers with the Ford name on them. Some aftermarket can be a big upgrade and others not. (like the aforementioned Dorman) I went with Cloyes....1. Because it was cheaper and 2 .thinking it might be an upgrade because of the cloyes reputation. I hope my gamble pays off....that wasn't a fun job at all.

Funny thing is the cloyes parts had the Ford part number in the same spot at the OEM,except no Ford logo. Can they do that or does cloyes possibly make it for them?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by saleen
I understand what your saying,but Ford doesn't make their own parts. They are made by auto parts suppliers with the Ford name on them. Some aftermarket can be a big upgrade and others not.
Yes and no. OEM parts are not simply reboxed parts that you buy at autozone and advance. Ford may not make many parts themselves but OEM companies that produce a much higher quality product than parts store chains or rock auto can provide. Obviously the price is usually higher. The issue with not buying OEM is that you can't buy directly from the OEM manufacturer without buying in a ford box. Many of Fords parts are made by companies like TRW and Bogg-Warner. BW makes the timing chains under the Morse line actually. I wold never install an aftermarket tensioner of any brand. The timing set is just too much of a pita and I've experienced a written off engine due to timing component failure on a 5.4 for me to ever use anything other than OEM. I may use an aftermarket USA made chain but that's it as far as timing components. There aren't any aftermarket parts here that will be an upgrade over OEM except for some of the high dollar racing stuff. Ford does a pretty good job in updating parts themselves. For instance, the passenger side chain guide that always breaks? Ford redesigned it and now it's twice as thick where it usually breaks. You actually have to buy a longer bolt as the original is too short.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Very interesting read Banshee. Thanks for posting.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Any issues?

Originally Posted by saleen
I bought the cloyes timing kit to install with my cam phaser job. I started doing some reading before I dig into it and found some posts with cloyes tensioners blowing the seal out and guides wearing quickly. Does anyone have experience with this kit?
have you had any issues with the cloyes timing kit? I’m about to do the whole cam phaser job myself and need to replace the timing chains.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts

Quick Reply: Cloyes timing kit recommended?