Winter tires or off road tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter tires or off road tires

Which would you run?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really depends on what kind of driving you will be doing. Hard-surface with ice or snow pack you will want something with good surface contact, not big lugs. If you are like me and get into a mix of deep snow with mud under it then a good off road mud tread works best. Typically off road tires are just that and are usually not very good on hard surface.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Snow tires on my car, and truck in the garage all winter on trail grapplers here . The TToyo M/Ts handled snow excellent in mildly deep snow. I run M/Ts strictly on trucks.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Snow tires on my car, and truck in the garage all winter on trail grapplers here . The TToyo M/Ts handled snow excellent in mildly deep snow. I run M/Ts strictly on trucks.
I ran Toyo M/T's on my truck last year for snow and in every storm it was like the snow was not even on the ground. It was great

Old 10-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I've had no issues with the Terra Grapplers in 8-10" snow or snow pack with my 2WD. Ice is another story, but not much other than studded tires is going to help on ice. The M/T's are fine, but if you're worried about getting around on paved streets with snow, something like the Blizzacks are a better option.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor
A good all-terrain tire will be good (not great) in snow. A winter tire will shine on the ice, where most people want traction the most.

Studdable tires are somewhat quickly becoming a thing of the past. A studdless ice and snow tire is taking its place and most often performing better.

I have compiled a lot of winter tire info in the wheels, tires and brakes forum.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...res-brakes-29/

Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I run Michelin X-Ice on mine, and they are outstanding in both snow and ice. 2wd with LS rear.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by KELLY-K
Which would you run?
are you talking about getting a 2nd set of wheels/tires?
Or just changing out the tires you have now?

Obviously you can't run winter tires all year long... or, you can, but the won't last long!

I have a second set of OE wheels with snow tires. Best thing ever. Install those once the temperature drops and your winter handling will be much better than running all season tires.

But how do you use the truck? Do you regularly drive off road? Have you ever got stuck when off-road with your stock tires?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have real winter (snow from start to finish) get some snow tires and stud them. I got mine studded and sipped, can't beat that traction.

If only seeing snow occasionally, then get some good a/t's

Old 10-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KELLY-K
Which would you run?
What do you plan on using them in? If you're driving in deep snow, a tire with large lugs will work well. If you're driving on ice, something with lots of sipes (small treads) like a Blizzak or X-Ice will work really well. If you're driving in mud, you need a self cleaning tread design with large lugs.

BTW: No tire / tread design will work well in every condition. Blizzaks are absolutely awesome in snow or ice, but won't last long at all on dry / warm pavement. An "All Season" tire is just that - a compromise in all seasons. (Not awesome in any season.) An "Off Road" tire will work great off road, but pretty much suck on road. Get my drift?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 PM
I have all season Nokian WR G2 and love them. Although it is an all season tire, it's the only one can handle snow very well.

Quick Reply: Winter tires or off road tires