2004 - 2008 F-150

Shimmy in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shimmy in steering wheel

I have a shimmy in the steering wheel and it pulls to the left. It happens at all speeds. If I go in reverse the shimmy is still there but it pulls to the right. I have replaced the brake rotors and the tires are new. Anyone have any suggestions. It's on a 2007 f150 lariat crew 4x4

Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you got an out of balance tire? Maybe check your front hub bearings.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:36 AM
Has the front alignment been checked?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
In reverse it's reversed?

I would check front wheel bearings and calipers first. Jack the lower control arm to get tire clear of ground, and while you have the tire jacked, rotate each front tire to just see if a brake caliper or brake hose is maybe holding one side too tight. A stuck caliper where the dirty pistons were forced back in and are now stuck will heat up a new rotor and warp it pretty soon. The dirt / grit / or rust jams the piston. Also .... A brake hose with an internal defect can act as a check valve and hold pressure high on a caliper acting like a stuck caliper. If opening a bleeder valve releases it, it's a hose.

Also, what kind of pads did you use? Were they hard to get in place on either side?

Did you remove some brake fluid from reservoir before pushing pistons back into calipers?

Could be a alignment issue due to ball joints or tie rod end wear .... but in view of your recent work .....

Last edited by tbear853; 10-02-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 AM
I have jacked up the front end and spun both tires, I get no restristion when spinning them. I wanted to see if maybe it was the rotors so I swapped them, put the left on the right and right on left. Same thing. I was hoping maybe it would change sides but it didnt. I guess Im going to take it down to the dealer to have them look at it because I am having some transmission issues that I don't know anything about. If it is wheel bearings, they told me that is covered under warranty as is with the transmission.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 AM
jack the front end back up and try to wiggle the tires. If it wiggles while grabbing at 3 and 9 o'clock, its a tie rod end (some play in the rack is normal). If it wiggles while grabbing at 12 and 6 o'clock, it's a ball joint. If it wiggles in both directions, it could be wheel bearing.

Quick Reply: Shimmy in steering wheel