2004 - 2008 F-150

Noise then P0011 When Starting Truck - Need help - Tr

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise then P0011 When Starting Truck - Need help - Tr

Hello everyone - I have a 2005 F150 5.4L 3v, 198,000 miles. I had the famous cam phaser tick. 3 weeks ago I tore down the engine and found a bad cam phaser (passenger side) and bad timing chain tensioner (passenger side). The passenger side chain was actually hitting the timing cover. I did a complete timing job: Replaced timing chains, guides, tensioners, both cam phasers. Truck started right up and ran great - no noise at all and more power. About 3 weeks of perfect running, the truck started making a rattle noise ONLY when starting - The truck throws a P0011 code. But other than that - it runs great. Idles fine. No other codes. The rattle (or chatter) is very short and goes away in a matter of seconds (almost seems like it disappears when the oil pressure comes up a few seconds after starting). The problem is something is defiantly wrong (because I hear the noise) - and the only clue I have is the P0011. I would like to get your thoughts on what to try or check before I tear into the engine a second time. FYI - the inside of the engine looked normal for a well maintained 198K mile engine. No broken guides or plastic in the oil pan. Mobile 1 full synthetic and Motorcraft oil filter has always been used. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you did the work, did you remember to clean or replace the oil pump puckup tube?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:24 PM
I cleaned the oil pump pickup tube and screen and they actually looked good so I reused them. Again - quick chatter sound when the truck starts- It is worse when the truck has set overnight. Whatever it is, it's causing the P0011 code.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what oil filter are you using? Make sure it has a good ADB valve. FL820S, wix, napa gold or fram ULTRA are good choices. If you are already using one of those, try changing it to the fram ultra, it worked best for me. silent at startup.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Using a motorcraft oil filter with Mobile 1 full synthetic oil. If the cam phaser is actually moving to an over advance position - I would think the truck would have trouble starting or idling - which is does not. It starts fine and idles / runs fine. Just makes noise when first cranked and throws the P0011 code. No other codes.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:08 PM
"(almost seems like it disappears when the oil pressure comes up a few seconds after starting)." Kind of sounds like hydraulic lifters pumping up.

???

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0011

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...iming-off.html

Last edited by 60DRB; 09-30-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes me wonder if the orifice underneath the rear cam bearings has a piece of trash blocking it, which would starve the head and timing tensioner.

Could also be a defective tensioner. They're spring-loaded specifically to prevent the timing chain from slapping around before the engine receives oil pressure.

Cam phasor solenoid has a screen. Perhaps that is plugged? I'd probably start there. Otherwise you'll probably have to take the timing cover off and see what's going on inside.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Makes me wonder if the orifice underneath the rear cam bearings has a piece of trash blocking it, which would starve the head and timing tensioner.

Could also be a defective tensioner. They're spring-loaded specifically to prevent the timing chain from slapping around before the engine receives oil pressure.

Cam phasor solenoid has a screen. Perhaps that is plugged? I'd probably start there. Otherwise you'll probably have to take the timing cover off and see what's going on inside.
Switch to the fram filter. It will stop. The fram filter doesn't allow the oil to leak back so you will have pressure to your lifters faster.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:36 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by littlejohn33
Switch to the fram filter. It will stop. The fram filter doesn't allow the oil to leak back so you will have pressure to your lifters faster.
Maybe the Ultra has a good anti-drainback valve, but I wouldn't trust it due to the issues with the regular "orange can of death". The OP is using a Motorcraft filter, it has a KNOWN GOOD valve.

To the OP - if you are using Mobil 1, why not use a Mobil 1 filter? It ain't cheap but it's a true premium filter.

Quick Reply: Noise then P0011 When Starting Truck - Need help - Tr