2004 - 2008 F-150

5.4 3V Misfire - Cracked COP

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 3V Misfire - Cracked COP

Recently my 2004 F150 started missing now and again, then it started to miss a lot and was obviously throwing codes. In my case is was throwing P304 which is cylinder #4 not firing, but doing so intermittently under power or at low RPMs. I have a Garmin Eco installed and it allows code reading. This provided real time monitoring and clearing as desired.

At times the truck would run like crap but I noticed after running up the highway for a half hour, then parking it for a few hours and then running it again, it ran perfectly. Like it "dried out."

At first I was thinking it was the dreaded plug change.... but the symptoms made me think electrical and I wanted to see what was up first before flying off the handle and ordering everything needed for replacing plugs and COPs.

When I pulled the #4 COP, it looked as shown below. The photo doesn't show it well but the crack runs all the way to and through the "BB" underneath the label.

Obviously, a replacement was ordered, a 3E3L (Update/Correction: Actual Part Number was - 3L3Z-12029-BA) COP, and installed. A 5 minute fix........ and I'm good to go.

Sooo... if you are experiencing this issue, give your COP(s) a good look see.

Just my two cents worth.
Pete

Last edited by HurleyByrd; 09-22-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Great write up and thank you

Old 09-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ X2.

Thanks!

MGD

Old 09-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed you replaced the coil with a different part number than the one that cracked. Is the 3E3L a updated version to the 3L3U?

Also, thanks for the heads up on inspection. I changed out 5 of mine yesterday and had none break. Ran out of time. I am also replacing the boots and cleaning the blade that the spring connects to on the coil. So far every blade was corroded with green corrosion. I still lack 3,4, and 8. I plan to get those when I have a day off s few days from now. It already runs better.

Edit: Finished all 8 and had 0 break. Now I just need to nail down a slight rough idle.

Last edited by xrider; 09-23-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Actually, I just looked up the part I ordered.... it is part number:

3L3Z12029BA

My original write up was done from memory.... sorry. I also noticed that COPs on cylinders 2,3,4 were the old number, as shown in photo, all the others are this new number. The old look REALLY old and I would bet they are original to the truck..... now 230,000 miles.

Since I originally wrote this up, I have driven the truck a fair amount. It runs great, lugs down real low without a miss, and the same when power is applied.

By the way, I bought the COP on eBay through a dealer, I believe their name is Geiser Ford, something like than for $44 delivered.It came in its original packaging, sealed, etc.... It was listed as DG-511. There were others listed as OEM for as little as $39.99 delivered, but not sealed packages and not from real dealers. I felt $4 was well worth the reputation.

Later
Pete

Quick Reply: 5.4 3V Misfire - Cracked COP