2004 - 2008 F-150

new to me with problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to me with problems

just bought a 05 screw lariat with 106k miles.
drove it home and went to reverse it in to the stall and felt a rough idle while in reverse.
the next day the check engine light came on and the code was p0345 i believe.
the code said it was the cam position sensor. So i replaced that and drove it home about 45 miles. Went to reverse it into the driveway and the truck died, the low pressure oil came on but it started it right up and i parked it. no lights came on.
my question does it take that sensor a little while to adjust? or do i have different problems?
thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you have a code reader / scanner... Are you getting any new CELs? Did you clear the codes after you swapped the cam sensor? How is the overall running of the truck not just the stall when you toss it into reverse?

At the mileage you are at several things pop to mind...

#1. Spark plugs and COPs. If that is a 5.4 read up on the plug change, read it again, buy a Lisle tool and pray if you got em that you won't need it... The 5.4 3V spark plug changes can be tricky... If you are on original plugs the truck might not be running in top form and this can be pronounced in reverse... Not personally experienced in my truck, yet but I am close....
#2. Throttle body / Mass air flow sensors need to be cleaned periodically. If this truck wasn't maintained all that well, or uses an oiled air filter like a K&N, chances are you need to clean both of those. Remove them from the truck and give them a thorough cleaning...
#3. Fuel filter. At the mileage you are at, it should have been changed long ago, and probably be on the 2nd time..

With all of that done unless there is a remaining problem with the ECM or Cam sensors etc... your truck should run good at that point...

Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 AM
I cleared the codes, and there's no new codes. Overall the truck is running great. Not sure what has all been replaced. i just bought the truck 2 days ago. thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 PM
UPDATE same problem
When i drive a long distance and get home to reverse the truck in the driveway, i get a strong shake coming from the engine. Tonight when it happened again while i was in reverse the truck shook and started to hear a knocking from the engine bay. Not sure where from. But it will stop within a few seconds. Also theres seems to be a little tick from both sides of the motor. Not sure if thats normal or has been there for long.
Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: new to me with problems