2004 - 2008 F-150

Help me choose some upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me choose some upgrades

I have an 06 lariat with 175k miles on it. Just paid it off and want to upgrade a few things rather than buy a new truck.

I have owned it since '08 always babied. Never towed.

Looking to these:

Exhaust - thinking Magnaflow?

Tuner - any thoughts?

Looking to add hp and if possible torque

Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 PM
im in the same boat your in. I am looking to do the same mods as you.

right now it looks like I will be doing a

custom exhaust. borla muffler to some ebay tips and make it a side exit in front of the rear tire.

tuner. I was told to go with the sct tuner. so I think I will be picking one up from 5star tuning.

intake. sb intake. I will be getting the intake tuner combo from 5star.

but I think I am will be doing these mods within the next month or so.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Yeah I'm looking to order some stuff tonight.

I'll look into the act thanks for pointing me towards that.

What's the sb intake?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maggie exhaust is good. I went with borla. More specifically the xr-1. Great sound.

Are you looking at cat back? Dual? Or just a muffler replacement?

As for tuner I've got the edge cts. It's ok, but really only notice a difference in performance 93 octane with the canned tunes. Going to look at some custom tunes from PHP.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking cat back or full exhaust with long tube headers

Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Mike @ 5StarTuning can really wake up your truck. I promise you will never go back to stock tuning once you try it

S&B intakes are great. Install was a little less than straight forward for me but I am happy with it and I still think they are the best looking. My suggestion would be to go with a cleanable dry filter. I think Oiling them is quite a pain.

Borla is the only way to go in my opinion. Best sound out there. nice deep quiet rumble at idle and beautiful sound while accelerating. It will really open up if you get into it also

I would love to do headers but have only heard nightmares from people installing them on their own. Really cant justify the cost of headers and installation when the hp gain just wont be there...

Sounds like you have some good advice so far

Old 04-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Borla w/ high flow cats .... I have Roush (Borla) w/o high flows and it could be a little louder

Just do the Gotts mod and save your money on an intake to put towards a programmer or full exhaust set up

I have a Power Hungry Performance tuner CTS Edge .... but I really only feel a difference when I fill up with 93 octane and use the 93 custom tune. Sure makes a difference though

Old 04-23-2014, 06:12 PM

Just because I saw you mention OBX LTs before, I have them and installed them myself if you have any questions on those.

Borla for muffler and SCT with 5Star or MPT tunes. I also have the same Roush/Borla as Pockets and they sound great. Everyone loves their tunes and they feel they added power, etc. But personally for me, the long tubes, no cats, and custom 5Star tunes didn't do jack for power. The shift points are a little different and there's a LITTLE more power, but that's it. But I only wanted all of that for the noise, which is definitely good haha.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:54 PM
I will agree with you KMAC that the power gained is negligible and "seat of the pants" feel at best but I think it drives 100% better. Of course, its not a diesel and you arent going to see 100+ hp gains from a tune but tell me that it doesnt suck to drive on stock after you get used to a performance tune??

Old 04-24-2014, 12:22 AM

I've been thinking about going back to stock just to see what difference the tunes made I've been tuned since I did the LTs in July 2013. Maybe I'll speak more highly of them if I try stock again.

Quick Reply: Help me choose some upgrades