2004 - 2008 F-150

Brakes (?) locking up - need your help - somewhat ASAP

Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes (?) locking up - need your help - somewhat ASAP

So I need a little help. I recently changed my front hubs, rotors, pads (I went with the centric two piece hub) last week, and so far so good. On my way down to LA, from Hesperia, I got off on an exit hearing towards dodger stadium.. At the first stop light after being on the freeway, I applied my brakes and had a 'violent' shake-to-a-stop.. It felt like my brakes locked up... So I threw my truck into park, shut it off then on, and attempted to drive. Once again, almost immediately after stepping on the brake pedal (barely any pressure what so ever, almost the same as you would through 5 mph traffic,), it does it again.. It has the sound of somebody slamming on the brakes, and the same shutter your truck has if it was manual and you stall it (without the engine dying).. My truck wouldn't move, at all. It was like I had my foot on the brake and the gas at the same time trying to move. The only way it ended up unlocking was putting it into reverse for a free feet, then it will drive forward. I had to coast into a parking using my e brake.. Any help, advice, tips? I'm trying to baby it home, I do not want to stay broke in LA..

Thank you.

P.s. When I take off the brake fluid cap, the fluid is at the brim of the reservoir Whetter my truck is on, off, in park, drive, etc.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Just checked it after it sat for four hours and it's doing the same thing.. I put it into gear and attempt to drive, and the second I touch the brake pedal with the slightest pressure the brakes slam on... It doesnt happen when it's in reverse, the brakes are normal..

Old 08-26-2013, 03:30 AM
if its only locking up in one direction you need to verify no caliper or caliper bracket mounting bolts have fallen out and brake pads are installed properly. have you checked the condition of your ebrakes lately? make sure everything inside the rear rotors are good. if neither one of those are the issue i would suspect a master cylinder issue

Old 08-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check and change out brake fluid if its dark, try pulling the caliper bolts out and greasing them.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Check and change out brake fluid if its dark, try pulling the caliper bolts out and greasing them.
I don't see how any of this is relevant to his question.

The color of the brake fluid would not cause the brakes to lock up.

Greasing the caliper pins (not the bolts) would help if the brakes were dragging and getting hot.

Now some advice for the OP - your problem has to be due to the recent changes. Like 04f150owner said - look for loose or missing bolts. It sounds like its self-applying once you touch the pads to the rotor.

On my old truck I had a caliper bolt fall out... but it was the trailing edge, not the leading edge so my caliper rubbed the wheel. If it was the leading edge the caliper would bite into the rotor and do something like what you described.

If the bolt is missing, check the caliper and rotor for damage. I know it sucks, but replace them if they are damaged... its not worth it to use them and have it fail.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by dvwtf 760
Just checked it after it sat for four hours and it's doing the same thing.. I put it into gear and attempt to drive, and the second I touch the brake pedal with the slightest pressure the brakes slam on... It doesnt happen when it's in reverse, the brakes are normal..
Is there an update on this? Did you make any progress? I hope you are able to get it resolved.

Doug

Old 08-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
I don't see how any of this is relevant to his question.

The color of the brake fluid would not cause the brakes to lock up.

Greasing the caliper pins (not the bolts) would help if the brakes were dragging and getting hot.

Clearly I did NOT say the color of the fluid was to blame, did I? Brake fluid, like transmission, transfer case, and gear fluid, wears out after so much use and from age, and is a necessity to change and keep fresh for optimum performance. THAT is why I suggested he change the fluid out. I bled my trucks brakes and it has fresh motorcraft Dot 3 in it and it brakes better now. The pistons are functioning correctly, and that is why I suggested changing fluid. I never came off like a brake wizard, I made simple suggestions for someone.

The caliper bolt suggestion was clearly a follow up suggestion on the lower cost side of things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes (?) locking up - need your help - somewhat ASAP