2004 - 2008 F-150

Scored some awesome side mirrors!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scored some awesome side mirrors!

Ok I just scored some 2011 FX4 side mirrors. Power fold, puddle light, white caps, the works for $300. Now I have a 2006 Lariat with power mirrors (not fold), not to sure what else. Is it possible to do a swap and convert mine to these new power fold mirrors. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry I'm currently at work and on my phone. So if there is already a topic on this then I apologize in advance.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You'll need new window switches for sure

Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
x2, plus the power folding module I believe. And you will need to relocate some pins.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:00 PM
@ SoonerTruck
As in my door window switches or the switch for the side mirrors?

@ Darren
Ok I'll check into the module.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM
lucky, I offered to trade tow mirrors with no bites on 09+ mirrors

Old 08-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles
lucky, I offered to trade tow mirrors with no bites on 09+ mirrors
Not yet, gotta make sure I can get all the functions to work first. Info seems very limited.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Can someone point me in the direction with info on a wiring diagram? Mostly concerned on which pin/wire does what (fold in, out). Thanks

Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I added 2007 Power folding mirrors to my truck a few years ago. I didn't do the install myself, I had an audio installer/friend of mine wire it up for me so I don't know exactly how he did it. Here's what I do remember. Your going to need a new switch. I was going to use an oem switch but wanted them to fold independently so he added 2 factory looking switches to my door handle below the rest. Tasca ford had a diagram that i used that showed which pins you need to switch to make the power fold mirrors work so you might want to check there site, see if they still have it posted. I think you need to also add a new pin/wire for the powerfold and puddles lamps. PL's get wired to your dome/int light wire. I believe you'll need a relay for the PF as well. Wish I could be more help but there's better directions out there. If no one else chimes in send me a PM I'll look through my files, I should have the tasca diagram and other information.

Btw.. Nice find, you saved some serious coin, think I paid close to double that for mine.

Good luck, it's an awsome mod..

Here's a pic of my mirror switches

Last edited by tg150; 08-09-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: added pic.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Tg150

Greatly appreciate the help brother. I'll check out Taaca and see if I can find that diagram. I'm really digging your independent fold option, and the install is clean.

Yea I scored them off eBay and was really surprised the bidding didn't go higher.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrocha85
Tg150

Greatly appreciate the help brother. I'll check out Taaca and see if I can find that diagram. I'm really digging your independent fold option, and the install is clean.

Yea I scored them off eBay and was really surprised the bidding didn't go higher.
No problem man. Glad I was able to help somewhat . There are some threads on here you might wanna check out. Tasca also still has the diagram up on there site too.

Yeah, I really love the independent fold option my friend did. It's real nice if your backing up in a tight spot (like a section of my drive), you can fold one mirror in while still using the other to see where your going. I don't know why ford doesn't wire them this way. I mean what good is it if both mirrors fold at the same time, how are you suppose to see where your going if your backing up.

Anyway, good luck with your install..

Old 08-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Ok I just got my mirrors in today and this is what I've found. It seems for a 06 the fold in/out is pin 7 & 16. Well the 2011 mirrors I just got do not have a pin or wire in either one of slots. So does anyone have any idea which pin is in/out on the mirror side? Also I was reading on another forum and this guy set it up like this. He ran 2 wires from the passenger side mirror, one wire spliced into the fold in and another spliced into the fold out wires. He then ran then over to the driver side mirror and spliced into the same wires. From there he made a pigtail running into the switch splicing into the fold in/out wires. Do you guys think that's a good way to run it? Or will that cause me problems down the road?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Double post

Last edited by Mrocha85; 08-16-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want to use the factory switch & a 2006 King Ranch power fold module, you don't need to change the switch you have, it already has the contacts for the power fold in it ( tested this on my '06 Lariat some time ago with a power fold problem ).
If you are not going to buy the power fold module to drive the mirrors, you will need a momentary on-off-on DPDT switch ( to be able to reverse the polarity to change the mirror fold direction ). This can be a single switch or as tg150's install with a switch for each side ( which is a nice feature to have ).

Did you find the diagrams for the changes required for the common ground vs/ the individual grounds ( for turn signal and heater function ) ?

The 2012 ( which should be the same as the 2011, the 09/10 were the transition years ) the power fold option came with the memory option, and the mirrors were controlled by the DSM ( Driver Seat Module ).

Taking a look at the mirror itself, the power fold motor is pins #16 & #7. If you are sure you are looking at the mirror connector correctly, and these pins are empty then you do not have power fold mirrors ( you have the std power heated, turn signal, puddle lamp version ).

If pin # 16 is open, it looks like pins # 12,13,14 and 15 would also be empty ( those are the potentiometer wires for the mirror location for use with the memory function ).

to give you an orientation :
Pin #16 is at the end of the connector ( opposite the connector tab ) next to pin #8, the common ground for the heater, puddle lamp and turn signal ( goes to the ground lug on the A pillar )

Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I just placed an order from tasca for a new switch for power folding mirrors.

I have not seen those diagrams, where can I find those.

Ok looking at the connector, which way do the numbers go? I was looking at it with the connector tab facing up. I was going first row 1-8 left to right, then 2nd row 9-16 left to right. If that is correct then the passenger side has no pins/wires in 7 & 16, the driver side however has a wire and pin for every single slot.

Both mirrors have power fold on the mirror itself (I know doesn't really mean much, can be faked).

Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Correction, I was holding the connector the same way. I was going right to left, starting with number 1 on the top right.

Quick Reply: Scored some awesome side mirrors!