As all Ford owners know, our brakes love to generate vast amounts of reddish brown dust and it covers EVERYTHING. In December 2010, I had enough and had my entire brake system retrofitted. I had a set of Centric front hubs installed so I could use the cheaper and more reliable 4WD rotors up front instead of the 2WD rotors that have the hubs integrated into them. Slotted rotors looked cool and still do, but the ride was negatively affected. Also went with some Thermo-Quiet semi metallic pads to finally end the dust plague.
As progress was being made, something happened that I hoped would never. I got into my first and only accident with my pride and joy. The front bumper was trashed, the painted piece above was damaged, my left Hella headlight was scuffed pretty bad, and so was my newly painted Roush grille. Luckily no one was hurt, but the car I hit was beyond totalled. The entire side was caved in, the windows were blown out, and the wheels were ****ed inwards (no pictures of the car).
Insurance took care of everything, but I regret the shop I chose to do the work. I recently found shortcuts they took to get the truck in and out and get their money.
Then I made the biggest investment to date with my truck, a set of KMC Rockstars and Yokohama's. Even though the Yokohama's were recommended, they've been fighting me since day one. Always running into balance issues even to this day. Maybe a set of Michelin's in the future.
Then I had the rear lowered with a set of 2 inch drop shackles. Even though I thought that they were enough last year, I want to do a full 2/5 inch drop kit.
In August of 2011, I finally got tired of something I thought I never would. I got tired of listening to my Magnapacks. I had a set of Magnaflow 11" oval bodies installed in their place. They've been a lot more tamed then the Magnapacks, but still retain a good amount of aggressiveness, which is what drew me to the Magnapacks to begin with.
Now we fast forward to this week. It was always my plan to ditch the front chrome bumper for a painted one with fog lights. This time I chose a shop that even the nearby Ford dealership turns to. They did an awesome job with the paint and installation. Even though the front mounts are still a little off from the wreck and the first shop didn't want to fix it properly, the other shop was still able to perfectly line it up with no problems.
I still have a ways to go. It still needs the fog light hardware and to be wired up, and the rear bumper still needs to get powder coated, but the big picture I have in my head is finally materializing! It's been a fun (and expensive) ride to get where I am with it, and I plan to still go further. Thankfully, there's always something to modify and customize to keep me busy with it.