2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 5.4 Unresolved Fuel Pressure Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also, this is what I did that made no difference: Changed fuel filter, pump, pressure sensor, FPDM. The issue was there after all these then one morning it was gone.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate when something like that just goes away on its own without really knowing what it was. I may have had a simular issue with my truck. Its a 05 reg cab 4x2 with the 5.4. Yesterday when I was out and about. At one of the places when I went to leave the first try starting the truck it didn't start tried a second time it started but ran rough for about 2 seconds and died. The third try I gave it a little gas as I started it and it fired right up and after a few seconds of rough idle it was fine. It started up fine everytime ever since. Truck has 120k on it.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:46 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
05 5.4? You may be developing the stuck fuel injector issue.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Low fuel pressure at acceleration

Originally Posted by ryanW
@UPFord, have you had any more issues with this. I'm having the same problems and just wondered if you did anything other than changing plugs.
Ryan- did you ever solve this issue? I have been fighting the same symptoms for 2 weeks on my 2001 Ford F150 XLT with 4.6L. Good fuel pressure at idle (30psi) but falls to 5psi at full acceleration with no power & surging. Changed fuel filter twice, new fuel pump on order, but not convinced that will solve the issue. Currently only able to get about 1500 rpm and 40 mph on highway. Looking for any help...

Update: Changed out the fuel pump and problem fixed. Found flakes of soft rubber like stuff in tank (no idea where it came from) and pump screen was very black; also fuel filter had black crap come out of it so most likely the pump screen was plugged, but to much work involved to just change the screen. Pump was original 2001 so it was past the end of its life span anyway.

Last edited by Derrick_ND; 11-27-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Same issue here

Hello UPFORD i to have been suffering with this issue...I replaced the head in my 2004 f150 because the spark plugs had a double metal piece that broke while taken them out. Since then i have replace the heads and put in new spark plugs. When i started driving the motor would flutter real bad when i hit the gas so i replace the fuel pump and the modulator under the wheel axle in the back and it still fluttered. so i checked the codes and it through one for a fuel pressure rail sensor, so i bought that and installed it and drove it right away and still it fluttered. I am going to buy a additive like you did and drive it for a few days and see what happens...My question is did your vehicle start messing up again or is it doing good now...what are your suggestions please..Thank you

Originally Posted by UPFord
@ryanW, no. I have gone a year without any additional issues. It seems to have resolved itself. I think it must have been a fuel additive I added just prior to the issues. That is the only thing I can figure since it just went away...

Old 10-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Fuel Surge/skip problem 2005 5.4 f150

I am having similar problems almost to the t described by this post

I haven't checked the pressure yet but Ford Dealership did and they couldn't
find anything wrong...wouldn't pop a code until recently when I got a pending p0191 code and then it quit running...they replaced fuel pump in the tank and also the fuel filter....the accelerator control was replaced, the eight plugs were replaced as well as several coil packs....the Ford Dealer reset the pcm and at that time it wasn't pulling codes....they are at a loss for what is wrong....they replaced a previously installed NAPA fuel pump that was put in a few weeks ago when the truck quit on the side of the road and they said the p0191 code was caused by it being out of gas even though
the gauge showed plenty of fuel....new pump and still bucking/skiping under load and does it more when warmed up but would run pretty good for first
5 miles in morning then start skipping....(live in Florida)....143000 miles and
I am orig owner....bought a inexpensive test device and yesterday it popped a hard eng code and it was p0193.....still skipping and I am sure that my
symptoms are very similar to post below except I have changed plugs and some coil packs...I have not done anything with the sensor on the fuel rail but Ford dealership said they had checked all "systems" with nothing wrong...
HELP

Quote from your forum in 2012:
"Hello, I have a 2005 F150 5.4l 137000 miles. Three weeks ago, my truck began surging/bucking under heavy throttle. I replaced the original fuel filter (plugged) replaced the original fuel pump (screen was very dirty), neither helped. I then replaced the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor as well. No help. The problem has evolved into stalling under light throttle and bucking at a much lower throttle position. I tried a new Dorman FPDM (my original is in very good shape) with no change. My scanner shows fuel pressure around 40 psi at idle (which is very smooth). Under acceleration, the fuel pressure will drop to around 5 psi, then spike to around 75 psi. This will repeat 3 to 4 times then somewhat smooth out as the speed increases. At a cruising speed (also very smooth), acceleration will repeat the fuel pressure drops and spikes. The spark plugs are original to the truck and need to be replaced, but oddly enough, once in a while, after sitting overnight, the truck will run perfectly for about 1/4 mile, then symptoms return. The truck never misses at idle or accelerating so I doubt the plugs are contributing. Outdoor temperature is rising and for the past few days the truck stalls and cuts out and no longer has that short time of running correctly. There are no codes, stored or pending. With the vehicle parked and in neutral, the engine revs smoothly. In gear with my foot on the brake, either D or R, I can load the engine with no sputter or hesitation. This only happens when the vehicle is moving. I am at a loss and don't know what direction to look in. ANY and ALL help is really appreciated! " Unquote

Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Gas Cap?

I replaced mine last week...165K miles...I was filling up and noticed some white plastic pieces sitting around the filler neck...they were the same white color as the inside of the cap...

Bought a new one at O'reilleys and the truck seems to be running smoother...the dash mpg's are also indicating an additional mpg...12.1 mpg now (wow)!

I wish I was making this up!

Regards!

Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by ryanW
@UPFord, have you had any more issues with this. I'm having the same problems and just wondered if you did anything other than changing plugs.
I'm having the same issue . Did you by chance find out what the problem was

Old 10-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Check the engine wire harness where it comes out of the PCM on the passenger side engine comp. on the firewall. I had my harness chafe through 6 wires on the AC line! Repaired them and engine problems wend down dramatically!

Old 07-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by hmustang
I hate when something like that just goes away on its own without really knowing what it was. I may have had a simular issue with my truck. Its a 05 reg cab 4x2 with the 5.4. Yesterday when I was out and about. At one of the places when I went to leave the first try starting the truck it didn't start tried a second time it started but ran rough for about 2 seconds and died. The third try I gave it a little gas as I started it and it fired right up and after a few seconds of rough idle it was fine. It started up fine everytime ever since. Truck has 120k on it.
did you ever ever figure this problem out im having the same issue on my 2006 f150 4.6l

Old 09-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Ford F-150 fuel pressure problem

Hey I知 having similar issues with my 2005 Ford F-150 lariat with the 5.4 motor. I知 getting the p0191 code and the truck will run great at times then start the bucking and black smoke from exhaust. Ford dealership has had truck for two weeks now. Charged me 700$ to replace throttle body and got same results. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by mikeross21
I am having similar problems almost to the t described by this post

I haven't checked the pressure yet but Ford Dealership did and they couldn't
find anything wrong...wouldn't pop a code until recently when I got a pending p0191 code and then it quit running...they replaced fuel pump in the tank and also the fuel filter....the accelerator control was replaced, the eight plugs were replaced as well as several coil packs....the Ford Dealer reset the pcm and at that time it wasn't pulling codes....they are at a loss for what is wrong....they replaced a previously installed NAPA fuel pump that was put in a few weeks ago when the truck quit on the side of the road and they said the p0191 code was caused by it being out of gas even though
the gauge showed plenty of fuel....new pump and still bucking/skiping under load and does it more when warmed up but would run pretty good for first
5 miles in morning then start skipping....(live in Florida)....143000 miles and
I am orig owner....bought a inexpensive test device and yesterday it popped a hard eng code and it was p0193.....still skipping and I am sure that my
symptoms are very similar to post below except I have changed plugs and some coil packs...I have not done anything with the sensor on the fuel rail but Ford dealership said they had checked all "systems" with nothing wrong...
HELP

Quote from your forum in 2012:
"Hello, I have a 2005 F150 5.4l 137000 miles. Three weeks ago, my truck began surging/bucking under heavy throttle. I replaced the original fuel filter (plugged) replaced the original fuel pump (screen was very dirty), neither helped. I then replaced the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor as well. No help. The problem has evolved into stalling under light throttle and bucking at a much lower throttle position. I tried a new Dorman FPDM (my original is in very good shape) with no change. My scanner shows fuel pressure around 40 psi at idle (which is very smooth). Under acceleration, the fuel pressure will drop to around 5 psi, then spike to around 75 psi. This will repeat 3 to 4 times then somewhat smooth out as the speed increases. At a cruising speed (also very smooth), acceleration will repeat the fuel pressure drops and spikes. The spark plugs are original to the truck and need to be replaced, but oddly enough, once in a while, after sitting overnight, the truck will run perfectly for about 1/4 mile, then symptoms return. The truck never misses at idle or accelerating so I doubt the plugs are contributing. Outdoor temperature is rising and for the past few days the truck stalls and cuts out and no longer has that short time of running correctly. There are no codes, stored or pending. With the vehicle parked and in neutral, the engine revs smoothly. In gear with my foot on the brake, either D or R, I can load the engine with no sputter or hesitation. This only happens when the vehicle is moving. I am at a loss and don't know what direction to look in. ANY and ALL help is really appreciated! " Unquote

Old 09-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Hey I知 having similar issues with my 2005 Ford F-150 lariat with the 5.4 motor. I知 getting the p0191 code and the truck will run great at times then start the bucking and black smoke from exhaust. Ford dealership has had truck for two weeks now. Charged me 700$ to replace throttle body and got same results. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by Andrew725
I'm having the same issue . Did you by chance find out what the problem was

Old 09-28-2017, 02:01 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I doubt the throttle body had anything to do with this. Get the truck to a shop or dealer that knows what they are doing.

1. Check the FPDM for corrosion.
2. Check or replace the fuel rail pressure sensor.
3. Check the injectors for leakage.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Yea I told them when they came back with the throttle body it wasn稚 right. The only codes that showed up at my friends shop on his scanner was the p0191 code. Fords scanner pulled up like 10. Mostly pointing to the throttle body. I知 wondering if I知 running into the issue of the pcm greed line is being damaged due to rubbing against ac line

Originally Posted by glc
I doubt the throttle body had anything to do with this. Get the truck to a shop or dealer that knows what they are doing.

1. Check the FPDM for corrosion.
2. Check or replace the fuel rail pressure sensor.
3. Check the injectors for leakage.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by UPFord
also, this is what I did that made no difference: Changed fuel filter, pump, pressure sensor, FPDM. The issue was there after all these then one morning it was gone.
sounds crazy but my boss just fought the same issues all of u guys have been having.. He replaced everything possible.(injector, fpdm, pcm,mass air flow, he checked wiring. He worked on this truck for a month.. The power steering wiring runs thru with the fuel pressure sensor wiring. Long story short, the brown and white reference voltage wire terminal at the power steering switch was corroded in the terminal. Causing fuel pressure loss, no power, rich codes and backfiring.. Hope this helps someone. After watching my boss go crazy for a month lol

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4 Unresolved Fuel Pressure Problem