2004 - 2008 F-150

Dash Brake Light won't go out. Any ideas?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dash Brake Light won't go out. Any ideas?

I have a 2004 F-150 with over 190,000 miles and the red brake light on my dash has been on steady now for like 6 months and I can't figure out why? My brakes still seem to work as normal and the ABS still works as well. My brake fluid reservoir is full. I replaced the brake fluid level indicator switch in the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir and that did not help either. I don't think it is the emergency brake switch. I know sometimes when an emergency brake switch starts going bad that you can physically pull up on the emergency brake pedal a little and sometimes it will go out for a second to indicate whether that may be the problem, but that made no difference either.

This weekend I replaced both rear calipers on my truck because I had a cracked caliper piston and then bled the brakes. I took the truck out for a test drive and the brake light was out and I thought great that fixed it. Later in the day however when I went out again the brake light came back on and has been staying on steady again like it had always been for the past 6 months. I can't figure out what could be causing it. Everything seems to be working properly. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can not figure this thing out.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
instead of pulling up on the e brake, push it down, and feel around for the push button switch that the pedal is suppose to push up on.

give it a little playing with and see if u can shove the push button all the way in to make it turn the light off. its possible the switch has moved and u just need to reposition it.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by 02SC4x4
instead of pulling up on the e brake, push it down, and feel around for the push button switch that the pedal is suppose to push up on.

give it a little playing with and see if u can shove the push button all the way in to make it turn the light off. its possible the switch has moved and u just need to reposition it.
I'll give it a closer look when I get a chance.

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Does anyone else have any ideas?

Sunday the brake light was out the entire time on 2 separate drives. Then later that night and yesterday while driving, the light would be out sometimes and then it would come on and go back out randomly. This morning it was out again for a while on the drive to work, but then started randomly coming on and off again before I got to work.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same issue on my old 2005 and it turned out to be the light had shorted out in the cluster.

It was a painfully expensive fix, I had to do it due to Maryland inspections.

Other option might be air in the brake lines.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Originally Posted by 02SC4x4

Good point, Also Put some lube on the switch-plunger....might be binding/sticking

Last edited by SETCHAN; 03-27-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
I had the same issue on my old 2005 and it turned out to be the light had shorted out in the cluster.

It was a painfully expensive fix, I had to do it due to Maryland inspections.

Other option might be air in the brake lines.
That stinks. I hope it does not turn out to be the cluster. I would have to fix it for inspection also.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Mister B - Any update on your brake light issue? My 2005 just started having the same issue.

NoLongerJeepin - If you don't mind me asking, how 'painful' was the cluster fix?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm having the same problem with my '05 right now, plenty of fluid in the reservoir and I messed with the switch with no luck. Mine occasionally goes off, but then comes back on in a day or so. Honestly wish it was burnt out, would justify that FX4 cluster for me haha

HighJump- Pretty sure the pain with the cluster would be the price of the replacement, swapping them out isn't bad.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by highjump82
Mister B - Any update on your brake light issue? My 2005 just started having the same issue.
Nope. The light is still on.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Well, the brake light is still on. The light is on most of the time and flickers on and off once in a while. It has been like this for months now.

I did notice something different this weekend though. I drove 100 miles with a small load in the bed and it seemed like the brake light stayed off more than it was on when I had the load. I don't know if this was just a fluke or possibly a clue to what the problem may be with this brake light staying on all the time. Anyone have any other ideas? Inspection is due and I sure hope i don't have to replace the cluster to get this light to go out.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Mine doesn't like to go off sometimes when I use my E-brake. Usually have to tap underneath it a couple times with my foot to make it go off.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by dewalt17
Mine doesn't like to go off sometimes when I use my E-brake. Usually have to tap underneath it a couple times with my foot to make it go off.
Yea, the E-brake does not seem to affect my brake light going out. I rarely use it, but I have pushed it in and released it, then tried wiggling it to see if I can get the light to go out, but that does not seem to make a difference.

Maybe i should replace the E-brake switch anyway just to completely rule it out, if the switch is inexpensive and easy to access.

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mister B
Yea, the E-brake does not seem to affect my brake light going out. I rarely use it, but I have pushed it in and released it, then tried wiggling it to see if I can get the light to go out, but that does not seem to make a difference.

Maybe i should replace the E-brake switch anyway just to completely rule it out, if the switch is inexpensive and easy to access.

Thanks.
The e-brake switch is cheap and easy. I've got the same problem with my 06. Replaced the e-brake switch, nothing. No other issues with the brake system functionality, or ABS issues of any kind.

Haven't changed the fluid level sensor yet. I'm just living with it being on.

Every now and then it'll go out, which makes me think it's the issue some of the 04-08's had where it would short out in the cluster. I'm not about to tear the dash apart to mess with that or pay the dealer to fix it.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Yea, I have a feeling it is something in the cluster also. I can live with the light, as everything is working just fine. It just sucks that the light has to be out to pass inspection and I really don't want to go to the expense of fixing the cluster just for a light bulb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash Brake Light won't go out. Any ideas?