2004 - 2008 F-150

Dash Brake Light won't go out. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister B
Yea, I have a feeling it is something in the cluster also. I can live with the light, as everything is working just fine. It just sucks that the light has to be out to pass inspection and I really don't want to go to the expense of fixing the cluster just for a light bulb.
Could always pull the cluster and see about removing said light bulb in there for inspection.

Not saying this is the RIGHT way to do it, but no light = inspection pass.

There's always a way around things. Couple of the old timers at my shop tell me how they used to make side money back in the day when Michigan had emission inspections and our company used to be an approved inspection station. If a car didn't pass, the customer would slide them some cash on the side, and they'd stick the sniffer up the tail pipe on a known good car. Inspection passed.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
try unplugging the switch and closing the contacts electrically, like put a paperclip gently into the connector. Don't force the paperclip into the connector or you'll end up tearing up the terminals.

then you can find out which switch is your issue, hydraulic or parking.

also check your flexible brake hoses. Possible they are expanding under pressure, causing fluid to drop in the resevoir.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Same problem for me. It just started happening about 3 weeks ago on my 2005 F150 with 120,000 miles. I hope like hell that its not the cluster shorting out. I can't stand the light coming on and off intermittently. Its severely annoying...

Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 2008 4.6 XL. I've replaced the parking brake switch, verified the brake fluid level, even jumped the fluid sensor switch connector to prove out the sensor. New rotors and pads all around within the last 12 months. Light goes away sometimes, on most of the time, driving me nuts. Any of you guys get to the root cause yet? I'm about to break out the tape and cover up the dash light.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM
My very first car...a 77 Datsun B210...everytime the altenator was going bad, the brake light would come on...only takes a few minutes to check the altenator...

Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
OK, know this thread goes back a little but I has the exact problem on my 06 F-150 4.6L. Intermittently coming on and off until the past 2 days then on all the time. Took it into dealer and the dash has a short causing the light to come on . . . and yes, very expensive piece to have fixed

Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Update

Thank you raf215. Exact same root cause for me. Short in the gauge cluster. $$$$ I'll cover mine with tape.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by tmilosh1
Thank you raf215. Exact same root cause for me. Short in the gauge cluster. $$$$ I'll cover mine with tape.
No problem - glad to be of some help.
BTW, dealer cost for cluster - $397 and that doesn't include labor.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Mister B
Yea, I have a feeling it is something in the cluster also. I can live with the light, as everything is working just fine. It just sucks that the light has to be out to pass inspection and I really don't want to go to the expense of fixing the cluster just for a light bulb.
Mister B, did you ever fix this problem?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Voo
Mine is doing the same thing. I can tap on the dash and make it go out for a bit. If I take the dash panel off I can move the left connector around and make it go out/come on. Right now I have a zip tie pulling back on it and it works 95% of the time.

I guess it's a pretty common problem. I found a place in Virginia that advertises they will fix it for 185 including shipping both ways. I thought I saved it but I can't find it right now.

When/if I find it that's route I'm going to go. I have taken the cluster apart and I can't see what is causing it. It's getting a ground it shouldn't be getting that's all I can tell.

The light does bug me but the fact the cluster makes decisions it scares me if something is wrong. I don't want to be stranded somewhere when I know now I need to address it.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by MJPG115
Mister B, did you ever fix this problem?
I sent my cluster in and they sent it back to me , no charge saying they couldnt find anything wrong with it. This really sucks. My dome light flashes now also.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM
I realize this is an old thread, but this problem seems pretty darned common (I'm finding it reported on several different forums) and there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistent information on it. I'm trying to assemble a set of facts about the problem before I start throwing money at it.

What I've determined so far:
1) It affects model years 2004-2008, but mostly affects 2004-2006.
2) It appears to have impacted at least XLs, STXsaand FX4s (any XLT owners having this problem?).
3) Some have resolved by changing the fluid sensor in the M/C reservoir and others have had to replace their instrument cluster.
4) Some report an ABS light that stays on and some do not.

Since XLs and STXs share the same instrument cluster, that makes sense that it could be a problem related to that part. However, FX4s have an entirely different cluster...and that doesn't really make sense that it would share the same defect. Again, I wonder if any XLT owners have this problem?

My 2005 STX started this a year ago when I had the brake fluid changed. It is intermittent and the light can sometimes be made to go off by wiggling the harness leading to the fluid level switch. I suspect a faulty switch or the wiring/harness that is attached -- but there is not a clear and consistent linkage to switch failures.

Has anyone definitively identified a common source and if so, does Ford have a Tech Service Bulletin out on it? I cannot find one -- although with all the reports of this problem I find on various sites -- seems there should be one.

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 AM
I have an XLT and have had my light on for well over a year....it goes off and comes on I have learned to ignore it thinking at some point it would burn out but it hasn't. I did notice when hooked to a trailer the light stays out. IDK if something in the wiring of the trailer brakes/ebrake wiring set up just right to keep it off but I am not paying a few hundred bucks for a new cluster. Just gonna ride like it is

Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Useful Information

Originally Posted by fsulaxer
I have an XLT and have had my light on for well over a year....it goes off and comes on I have learned to ignore it... Just gonna ride like it is
Thanks. That is helpful. You are the first to (that I've read) to link it to trailer towing. To my mind, that suggests a faulty ground may be a factor.

Can you say that hooking up a trailer turns off the light 100 percent of the time?

I'm anxious to try hooking up my car carrier to see.

Thanks again.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 PM
can't say with 100% certainty but when I notice that its out I take a mental note. I notice it more with the trailer hooked up but couldn't say its ALWAYS off when hooked up.....I figured it would have burnt out by now but I guess that little bulb is tough... Sometimes it seems weather plays a roll when its nice and hot and dry no light a little moisture and its on I live in md and humidity is usually around so idk if that plays a roll or not

Quick Reply: Dash Brake Light won't go out. Any ideas?