Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

2004 - 2008 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:17 AM
Garage is empty, add now

How to test a VCT Solenoid?

2004 f150 4x4 lariat 5.4L 65k

Got my bank 1(passenger side) solenoid out. Cleaned with carb cleaner, wd40'd, carb cleaner, wd40'd ... seems clean now, it was dirty and sludgy looking before.

Now how do i test it?

I know these aren't under constant voltage, and that they are pulsed. I read constant voltage for too long can fry them.

To test, Do i just use my vehicle's battery power and quickly/briefly make a connection to the 2 connector on the vct? Or does it use some other regulated voltage from the vehicle ..... i don't wanna fry a 150 dollar part for nothing after all?

So how do i test this thing?

Last edited by SSDconvert; 03-24-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM
2004 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
You can check the actual resistance of the solenoid by checking ohms across the two pins on the VCT solenoid. I believe it should be between 5-15 ohms. Also make sure the screens are intact on the body of the solenoid.
- Bilstein 5100's leveled
Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Garage is empty, add now

much appreciated info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhead75 View Post
You can check the actual resistance of the solenoid by checking ohms across the two pins on the VCT solenoid. I believe it should be between 5-15 ohms. Also make sure the screens are intact on the body of the solenoid.
thanks for the tip
Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM