2004 - 2008 F-150

Fog Light Project

Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Light Project

I have a fog light project I thought you guys may want to hear. I'm getting a round fog light bumper for my truck and I have been stuck on what fog lights to throw on it. I want fog lights that can have HID's and Halo's on them to match the halo headlights on my truck. Ebay has some projector halo fog lights, but look like junk and are plastic... so no HID's there. Thought about getting factory lamps and installing halos in them but don't want to go through the hassle and i don't even think you can put halo rings inside the factory lamps? Idk.. Anyways, another option was doing the PIAA 510 swap since they look good, but no Halo's or HID's on that either.

So, Ive been thinking outside the box and I found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=190514526021

Yes thats right, dodge charger fog lights. You are probably thinking why?? Well I'll tell you why:

1. They are slightly 4" round. The holes on the 06-08 bumper is 4.5" Not a bad fit
2. They have Halos in 7 different colors and are built inside the lamp so no weather damage!
3. There made out of glass! HID's baby!
4. $65? Better than paying for PIAA's

So there in the mail right now and I am stoked for this. Do you think I should get the factory mounting brackets to aid in the mounting of the charger fog lights? Even tho I may have to do something completely custom.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
honestly i think you should just custom make some brackers. the bumper should already have the mounting holes for factory fog lights but you're still going to need to play with it a bit to get them to fit nicely.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Oh lord those things with HIDs is going to scatter light to the moon. Prepare for glare.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 PM
wait so they are't projector fogs? it looks like an offroad light with a ring in it

Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Oh lord those things with HIDs is going to scatter light to the moon. Prepare for glare.
I didnt think about that. If you look at the item description, the light looks like it has some cutoff.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by BL4CK3D0UT
I didnt think about that. If you look at the item description, the light looks like it has some cutoff.
Look at the front of the housing. It has a 'bubble' in the lens, which refracts light in every direction. notice on the cutoff picture there is light up above the hotspot and well over the fence. Not to mention the HID bulb will miss the focal point of that little reflector, so who knows where the light will go. Not to mention they look like really small housings, HID could melt it.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Plus the bulb won't even fit it looks like to me. It has a little "over the bulb reflector" whatever the heck that is, which is going to do something funky when you stick an HID capsule in there. You should've just got OEM fogs and baked them open and placed a LED or CCFL halo ring in it.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 PM
if you decide to put hids in those, get a pair of H3C bulbs. they are much smaller than a regular hid bulb which will come in handy for you. i had to use them in my off road lights that used H3 bulbs so they wouldn't be rubbing on the glass.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Well i got my bumper today and I guess the fog light openings are 5.5" instead of 4.5" like i thought.. So it would look kinda dumb with those in there so im gonna return them fog lights. Does anybody know where i can get some halo/hid capable fog lights that are about 5"?? I wish i could throw the 05-09 mustang gt fog lights in there because they are CCFL's but I guess they are 6.5"

Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Alright i decided to go with PIAA 520's with LED's around em. Looks pretty nice!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks pretty cool

Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 AM
to be honest with you, my 06 f150s round fog lights in the bumper suck, and i dont think its from light output, i think it is a bad location. too low, as beams dont go out very far. too far sunken in, as beams are too narrow. i think the other square style bumper lights in the later trucks may work better. i plan on a bull bar with some PIAA lights like you already have so that i can see in bad weather. i think ford just did the lights for looks, as i see no benefit to them when i turn them on.

as far as the Mustang fogs, they are decent but dont have a housing, they are built into the grille, are rather flimsey when taken out, and in no way could be mounted in any way other than in the grille. they do their job decently, but there are much better fogs out there. again i think fords primary reason for them was design rather than function.

Last edited by GTNOS; 02-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by GTNOS
to be honest with you, my 06 f150s round fog lights in the bumper suck, and i dont think its from light output, i think it is a bad location. too low, as beams dont go out very far. too far sunken in, as beams are too narrow. i think the other square style bumper lights in the later trucks may work better. i plan on a bull bar with some PIAA lights like you already have so that i can see in bad weather. i think ford just did the lights for looks, as i see no benefit to them when i turn them on.
I agree. I've done a side-by-side comparison between my 04 (square housing) and my dad's 08 (round housing) and there is a huge difference. Using the same factory 45w bulb, the square housing had maybe 2x as much light coverage on the road and was much, much wider in output. I think Ford sacrificed performance for cosmetics when they switched, kind of unfortunate.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
I agree. I've done a side-by-side comparison between my 04 (square housing) and my dad's 08 (round housing) and there is a huge difference. Using the same factory 45w bulb, the square housing had maybe 2x as much light coverage on the road and was much, much wider in output. I think Ford sacrificed performance for cosmetics when they switched, kind of unfortunate.
I agree, had both square and round and the rectangular fogs were by far the best for light output and beam spread. I tried to duplicate with the hella micros in the bumper space since my '08 didn't come with fogs, pretty close to the ones in my '04.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 PM
let me put it this way. i recently replaced my bumper due to a kid backing into it at walmart. i wish i would have thought about it before i bought another round hole bumper, b/c i should have upgraded to the square hole and bought the fogs for it. they probably would have plugged right into the harness too.

if i am ever in need of a new one again, ill swap it out for a rectangular one and actually have some lights that are worth a damn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog Light Project