2004 - 2008 F-150

Coolant/Antifreeze question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Zerex G0-5 & Distilled Water,I would not use the other's mentioned in My Truck if they were free.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Please don't give me a how-to or you should use this and not use that reply.
OK.

What coolant/antifreeze are you using in your truck?
The owner's book says to use Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant with bittering agent (yellow-colored) VC-7-B / WSS-M97B51-A1 so my guess is that's what's in my truck .... likely in a 50/50 ratio like it says.

Is anyone using or has used SuperTech or Prestone AMAMs?
That's a different question. I'ld venture to say though that for sure, someone ... somewhere ... is, has, and/or was using/used SuperTech or Prestone AMAMs.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use whatever was in my truck. Add Prestone in the yellow jug that I mix 50/50 with water out of our hose. No problems here.

I don't see why mixing antifreeze from one brand to another would make a difference...

Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
I use whatever was in my truck. Add Prestone in the yellow jug that I mix 50/50 with water out of our hose. No problems here.

I don't see why mixing antifreeze from one brand to another would make a difference...
I would seriously advise against the "water out of our hose" when filling automotive cooling systems. Water from the house contains items which leave residue and films/deposits where distilled water will not. There isn't really much damage to be had on the engine itself, but when you start having a wet dog smell and your floorboard is wet, you'll be cussing yourself for using the house water. Heater cores and other similar components don't hold up too well to the deposits that eat at them from drinkable water. It's one thing to use it in an emergency, it's another to use it in leiu of $5 worth of gallon jugs from the grocery store.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe we just have better water than you then.... cuz thats how all our vehicles have been filled for over 30 years, no problems with any heaters...

Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Owners Manual says VC-7-A (US except for CA, OR and NM) or VC-7-B (CA, OR and NM) meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51-A1 with a 50/50 mixture with distilled water. The bittering agents were added to keep animals from ingesting the coolant. The Owners Manual Warns you not to add or mix with other Coolants. Hose/Tap water is kinda sketchy as it varies from place to place; they contain minerals that can harmful to ones cooling system. Just spray your car down with hose water on a sunny day and see what it does to your nicely washed car. Come on how much does two or three gallons of Distilled Water cost.... 5 bucks! Any left over water and coolant can be mixed and stored for later refills. As for me I'm gonna stick with the Factory Recommended Specifications and Service Procedures, one will get maximum Service from the Products. I hate doing stuff over or having to redo a bad repair that some would-be Grease Monkey thinks is good enough to their/my vehicles. Pay me now... or Pay me a whole lot more later! I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, worked summers as a Machinist and professionally as a Factory Service Engineer for IBM and Kodak for 37 years.

Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

Last edited by billmtx; 07-02-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant/Antifreeze question