2004 - 2008 F-150

Noise from 4x4 shifter on floor while in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise from 4x4 shifter on floor while in 4x4

Did some searching online about this and can't really find much. Anyone else getting a noise coming from the floor 4x4 shifter while in four wheel drive? It's like a faint grinding noise. It's only when in 4x4 and gets more prominent when you go faster. I took my 07 in the shop to get checked out. Dealer says 4x4 is working fine, replaced the IWE solenoid because it had water in it. Other than that can't replicate the noise. As soon as I got home tried 4x4 again and notice the noise coming from the floor shifter area. I found this link online, but it's the only thing I can find on the internet about this: http://www.f150forum.com/f4/transfer...ise-4wd-81350/

Maybe this noise is "normal". I don't know.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM
CTR
Yep that noise is resonating up through your on floor shift handle. When you engage 4X4 the handle bracket bolted to the transmission, not transfer case, contacts another bracket with a stop tang. When those two pieces of metal contact each other the normal vibrations form the tranny and transfer case will resonate up through your handle in the cab.

I seem to be the only one on the web that has figured out how to fix this design flaw. There is no mechanical failure that is happening, just normal vibration in the handle. When in two wheel drive the handle is completely isolated from this metal to metal contact in 4X4.

That link you gave is my posting, I fixed mine as I described and I have never had the vibration again.

I test drove some used trucks like mine at a used car lot a little less than a year ago that had the on the floor shift, just to see if they had the same problem. Guess what, they did. Grind a little metal off that bracket, a 1/16" to 1/8" and you will be good to go.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info. Your post was very helpful, read it completely. Just wanted to get an idea if anyone else was running into this. I will have to give your method a try and see if that does the trick. I guess other people out there never notice or just don't care. Or maybe it doesn't happen to all trucks.

Quick Reply: Noise from 4x4 shifter on floor while in 4x4