2004 - 2008 F-150

4WD Vacuum hose with pic

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD Vacuum hose with pic

Two questions, I was putting new pads & rotors on this morning and noticed the hose that connects to the hub to engage the 4WD was not attached. It must have been off for a while because it has a burn or cut in it. Can you tell me if this piece is available at the parts store and where opposite of the hub it splices or is it one long hose? Here is a picture:

Name:  tn.jpg
Views: 11729
Size:  3.6 KB

second question, the v-springs were missing on both sides of the front brakes. Can anyone tell me the purpose of them, they are the horseshoe looking hardware? Just curious. TIA

Last edited by acf6401; 12-17-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:45 PM
ok, found out that the v-sprigs keep the pads away from the rotor when brakes aren't applied. anyone have ideas on the vacuum hose?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM
The picture is too small for my old eyes to see exaclty what you'asking about. Regular rubber vacuum hose from the parts store will work fine, just match the size.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:16 AM
I hope no moisture got in there, you may be replacing IWE too.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
with a hole in that hose the 4wd should have been engaged all the time, correct? got to wonder what damage was done since driving around on dry roads or at higher speeds aint that good for the powertrain with 4wd engaged. at least thats what all the big letters in the warnings say.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by projetmech
with a hole in that hose the 4wd should have been engaged all the time, correct? got to wonder what damage was done since driving around on dry roads or at higher speeds aint that good for the powertrain with 4wd engaged. at least thats what all the big letters in the warnings say.
Technically you haven't been in 4X4 at all unless the transfer case was shifted in, which it wasn't. The problem comes when one side of the front axle was turning and the other side was not. Could have caused wear with the front spider gears in the pumpkin, they are not designed to be running that way, you could have wear on the spider gears as well as the shaft they turn on.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Picture is too small, need 400-800 pixels wide for display on a page. Wider than 900 stretches it out of the page so that's getting too big.

The lines from the two IWEs at the wheels go to a single "tee" and then a single line to the IWE solinoid. A vacume leak between the IWEs and the Solinoid will lower the vacume over the whole area meaning that a loss of vacumme due to a hose off at one IWE affacts vacume at the other IWE.

Your IWE on that wheel has been engaged for sure but not the transfer case so likey no harm. Likely that the vacume leak also caused the other side to not have sufficient vacume to release in which case, both IWEs were engaged and as long as the transfer case was in 2WD, the front driveshaft turned at it's own speed as driven by the front wheels.

The vacume lines from both front wheels join at a "tee" that is connected to the IWE solinoid by a single vac line. Open up a cut / crack / slipped hose anywhere between the IWEs and IWE solinoid and you cause a drop in vacume over all. Between the IWE solinoid and the engine (vac source) there's twop check valves and another "tee" and a vacume storage canister .... but that's all above the solinoid which is just an electrically operated valve.

To test if this is maybe happening, start the truck up (need vacume being created as even a perfect system will engage the hubs after being parked a while with engine off and we know we have a big vac leak here on yours) , use a floor jack and jack the other front wheel up so you can turn it, and give it a spin by hand. If it spins freely and the axle doesn't, the IWE released. If the axle spins with the wheel, it didn't release. Try both front wheels, but this one with the hose loose surely did not release.

My guess is the other one didn't release either.

I hope no moisture got in there, you may be replacing IWE too.
Could be.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 AM
acf6401, and here's how to check to see what's going on after you get the line replaced...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...then-some.html

Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Here is a bigger pic:

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 29082
Size:  84.3 KB

Thanks for all the responses, I'll check it out and hope nothing bad has happened. I'll report back what I find. Again thanks for all the help!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
It looks like maybe it's pulled tight, does it have a lift kit?

You can splice the vacume hoses very easily, no need to replace a whole hose.

We'll be here watching for updates!

Quick Reply: 4WD Vacuum hose with pic