2004 - 2008 F-150

Paint Question

Old 08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Question

I have an 2004 F150 XLT 5.4, currently it is the stock black, I want to get it painted a flat black, kind of an old school black look, my question is has anyone used Maaco? Their prices are so much lower compared to other body shops, I know you get what you pay for, but is their quality that much less? Also, any suggestions on a good quality flat black? I have seen a number of old cars and trucks, 60's, that look great in that flat black, my truck will never enter an auto show, I do a lot of dirt road diving and I like a vehicle that doesn't look stock.

Thanks in advance,

-Tim

Old 08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by timxcd
I have an 2004 F150 XLT 5.4, currently it is the stock black, I want to get it painted a flat black, kind of an old school black look, my question is has anyone used Maaco? Their prices are so much lower compared to other body shops, I know you get what you pay for, but is their quality that much less? Also, any suggestions on a good quality flat black? I have seen a number of old cars and trucks, 60's, that look great in that flat black, my truck will never enter an auto show, I do a lot of dirt road diving and I like a vehicle that doesn't look stock.

Thanks in advance,

-Tim
Try buying your own "better quality" paint & ask them to paint it, they should still paint your truck using your paint.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Dirt doesn't agree with flat paint.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
The only thing "old school" about flat black for paint was the fact that back in the old days guys didn't have money for pretty paint AND Edelbrock intake and Fenton headers and a Sig Erson cam and Delongs mufflers and them slick looking Edelbrock heads for their 239 Flatty, so they made choices.

To scrub a shiney paint job just to get that "flat black primer" (that's what it was if blackk, some were red oxide ... some grey primer) look is crazy.

But it's your truck ..... have at it!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Macco has the capability to do a good paintjob. They will also charge just as much to do that good quality job as most other body shops. The difference with macco is that they don't mind doing sub par work if that's what the customer wants. If you want a single stage scuff and shoot for $300 they will do it. They will tape up all the trim and glass, scuff the panels with some Scotchbrite pads and spray a coat of single stage black for you. Your jambs will not be painted and you will see tape lines around everything they taped up. More than likely it will start to flake or Peel around the taped areas or anywhere they didn't take the time to prep well

Old 08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I think an old school flat black paint scheme and some aluminum street rims would actually look pretty cool on these trucks! I had several buddies in high school who had Maaco paint jobs done on their rides. It was plenty good for the beaters we were driving at the time -- especially since we lived in Minnesota and all the cars we could afford to drive were rusted-out Bondo buggies.

Now that I'm older and have more disposable income, I doubt I would go the Maaco route, but there certainly was a time when the low-buck alternative was all I could afford.....

Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Have you considered having it wrapped in some flat black vinyl? Would probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than a quality paint job, easier to maintain, and if you got tired of it or wanted to sell it, easy to turn it back to stock.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91
Have you considered having it wrapped in some flat black vinyl? Would probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than a quality paint job, easier to maintain, and if you got tired of it or wanted to sell it, easy to turn it back to stock.
I agree,It would cost thousands to fix a Maaco paint job not to mention the depreciation it causes on the value.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Cypress700
I agree,It would cost thousands to fix a Maaco paint job not to mention the depreciation it causes on the value.
you get what you pay for regardless of where you go. if you go for the $300 special, it isn't going to be a showroom quality job. However, Maaco's high end jobs (with the prep and trim package) will be equal / better to the paint Ford sprayed on it, but it will cost in upwards of $1500 to $2000 as well. Plus with their higher end packages, they do offer warranties for their work, so if they screw up, it starts chipping, and whever else, they'll fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Question